Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 10:23 AM

20 posts, read 164,711 times

Advertisements

I was wondering about how much car insurance is in PA. Can anybody recommend any companies?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2006, 01:21 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,088 times
Car insurance varies throughout the state. In Philadelphia I have a friend paying $4000 for two cars. Bucks county is higher than Montgomery county. While in Montco I was paying about $800 full coverage on an new car with a good driving record. Generally the further away from the major cities you get the lower the car insurance. I have been with State Farm for over 30 years. I am sure I could find cheaper insurance but I like a brick and mortar business and I have never had any problems with State Farm.
Don

Old 08-25-2006, 03:30 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
Yes it is cheap. When I lived in PA I had Allstate, but you should definitely call several places and get quotes.

Old 08-25-2006, 04:08 PM

70 posts, read 128,173 times
Keep in mind when choosing insurance that many towns in PA are very revenue-poor (high proportion of retired leads to a very anti-tax attitude), so the old strategy of raising money through traffic tickets is still very much in effect (check AAA they have a list of the worst towns).

In other words choose a policy that is more flexible when it comes to tickets. I'm a careful driver but I've been pulled over for all kinds of weird stuff, never speeding but odd "violations" you'd get away with most elsewhere, like driving without headlights on two minutes after sunset while it was still light out!

Old 08-25-2006, 08:00 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I agree fully with MJK! I've already received two speeding tickets and a parking ticket, and I'm only 19! Granted I deserved the one speeding ticket (I was rushing home for a family emergency from the home of my ex-boyfriend about 40 miles away), but the other one was for doing just a few miles over the posted speed limit of 45! (Talk about nitpicky!) For the parking ticket, I was no more than five minutes expired before I was slapped with a ticket by the city of Wilkes-Barre! I guess when there's not much crime to fight here in NEPA, our local police officers will do anything for some excitement! LOL! As for me, I'd rather they start enforcing more serious offenses, such as attempting to eradicate the drug trafficking between NYC/Philly and Scranton/Poconos to deter any crime issues before they become imminently unavoidable.

Old 08-25-2006, 08:25 PM

I just watched 20/20 and their story about State Farm's action in NO from Katrina. I no longer recommend them! I trusted them because I thought they were a company that would stand behind their policy holders. After seeing this story I believe they betrayed their policy holders in the worst way possible.
Don

Old 08-25-2006, 08:44 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Back on topic, I only pay $1,200 annually for my 1999 Ford Contour, so I don't think that's out-of-line at all for car insurance. Then again, I'm frugal enough with my income so that I'm never "stressed" about life's little (or BIG) expenses! LOL!

Old 08-25-2006, 11:51 PM

State Farm has a reputation for doing that... they are the Cingular of insurance companies... except losing everything you have is a lot more serious than nuisance charges on your phone bill.

I always give people the benefit of the doubt. But after many hard experiences I now always assume that corporations are trying to cheat me.

Old 08-26-2006, 04:33 AM

mjk1093
I have been with State Farm for more than thirty years. In that time they have paid one homeowner's and one auto claim on my behalf, both less than $5k. I had no problem collecting from them. Over the years I have heard my friends complain of problems with other insurance companies not paying or paying reduced claims. I never thought State Farm would be one of them. IMO, the government should force the insurance companies to pay. The NO situation reminds of of the Enron scandal. It seem the worker and the comsumer both need protection from big business.
I apoligize for getting a little off topic, but I could not change my orginal post. Secondly, what good is insurance if the insurance company will not pay a claim?
Don

Old 08-26-2006, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
mjk1093
I have been with State Farm for more than thirty years. In that time they have paid one homeowner's and one auto claim on my behalf, both less than $5k.
Don
That's why they paid - the claim was small. There are people from Hurricane Andrew in 1992 that are still in court trying to get their money from State Farm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania