Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2011, 06:11 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times

Advertisements

I am a retired Teamster and I just got a letter telling me my monthly health insurance premium was going from $695 per Month to $995 per month (that is for me and my wife). I have been hit with increases before - but never 143%. That is a big difference! This will be effective June 1st and is due May 25th. This insurance has no eye or dental plan.

Fortunately; I do not have that long to go before Medicare. I am just curious if other have seen similar increases? I am also curious if this has anything to do with our new national health care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 06:57 AM

175 posts, read 590,159 times
Yes! We are looking at a large increase starting May 1st too. Ours (husband, myself & 1 daughter - family plan, no eye, no dental) is going from 867.00 per month to 1,720.00. Employer pays 1/2 of this amount but it is still unbelievable!

Old 04-05-2011, 07:05 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
monthly health insurance premium was going from $695 per Month to $995 per month (that is for me and my wife). I have been hit with increases before - but never 143%. That is a big difference!
That's actually 43% but yes it's a huge increase. We've been hit by 30% increases each of the past three years. It's criminal.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayee View Post
Yes! We are looking at a large increase starting May 1st too. Ours (husband, myself & 1 daughter - family plan, no eye, no dental) is going from 867.00 per month to 1,720.00. Employer pays 1/2 of this amount but it is still unbelievable!
Kayee,
It would be bad if it was just the insurance increase. However, when you also have the rising price of energy and food; increases like this can be crushing. I would not want to be in the shoes of a newly married young couple with children on the way. It is becoming increasingly difficult to make ends meet for most workers.

By the way; we also do not have eye or dental. We also get substantial penalties for going out of network.

Bideshi,

I meant that I would be paying 143% in June. However; you are right.

I also have had substantial increases every year leading up to this big one. I had one smaller retirement plan that I figured would pay for our health insurance until I turned 65. With this increase; that was only wishful thinking.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:01 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
We have a special ed ds, I'm so sick of teachers, school counsleors, etc, saying, oh, don't you have insurance? then get him "tested" for this and that, take him here and there, after all, insurance pays everything, and you pay nothing for you, right

And we do have insurance, the best plan our employer offers, the benefits are limited. then, they say, well, why don't you get better insurance? Oh, geez, why didn't I think of that? Its out there for the picking. meanwhile, why don't they utilize the programs they have available, somehow, he just never seems to qualify for anything funded through public schools, oh, why don't we just use our insurance!

Old 04-05-2011, 10:05 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
I had one smaller retirement plan that I figured would pay for our health insurance until I turned 65. With this increase; that was only wishful thinking.
We're in the same boat. I'm nearly 67 and still working, purely for the health insurance (my wife is not eligible for Medicare yet). Looks like I'll have to die in the saddle.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:12 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Quote:
I am a retired Teamster and I just got a letter telling me my monthly health insurance premium was going from $695 per Month to $995 per month (that is for me and my wife). I have been hit with increases before - but never 143%. That is a big difference! This will be effective June 1st and is due May 25th. This insurance has no eye or dental plan.

Fortunately; I do not have that long to go before Medicare. I am just curious if other have seen similar increases? I am also curious if this has anything to do with our new national health care?
CHANGE we can believe in....Obamacare.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:59 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
As expected, I got a letter from my old insurance company last year saying thanks to obamacare and the increased costs of meeting the bureaucratic intricacies and regulations and other impositions, my insurance was going up 60%. I ended up switching companies, still paying an increase, but got more coverage and a hospital/health company I like(Geisinger).

The idea behind obamacare was to break the insurance companies and private health care industry and drive people to a government plan and the industry to socialized medicine. It's been the goal of the democrats since roosevelt and it happens in dribs and drabs, but we are on our way to health care ruin. I've seen socialized health care in Canada, UK and NZ and it aint pretty.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:09 AM

wanneroo, Pretzelogik,

I would like to blame Obamacare. Our fingers could be pointing in the right direction? However; the Teamsters are also in trouble. YRCW (Yellow Roadway Corporation Worldwide) is in dire financial straights. If they would go belly up that would leave only two large Teamster corporations (UPS and ABFS) left to anchor our benefits. So I am not sure who to blame - that is why I started this thread.

We are lucky that we are both in pretty good health for our age. We had tried Geisinger about two years ago. They had recommended that we stay with our Central PA Teamsters; until we hit 65. It was refreshing to hear a company recommend another company. We will give the Geisinger Gold plan a try when we hit 65. Humana was also recommended.

We were thinking of moving to Rushville, Ill: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/40661756/ns/today-today_people/
We wish that we had a few Doc Dohner’s in PA.

Actually; I wish there was more competition in the medical industry. When was the last time you saw a sign on a dentist office wall listing their prices? We have billboards proclaiming that our heart surgeons are the best - however; the public does not always want the best (highest) bills for the services.

Bideshi,

I think that many of us will die in the saddle! I work part time at 64 and expect to work more when I hit 66.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania