Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2011, 12:46 AM

3 posts, read 11,512 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to State College in August. He got accepted into his grad program at a late date, so most of the housing has been already filled. We have two boys - 3 & 5 and are trying to find the best place for our family. Things important to us: COMMUNITY!!! I need people, neighborhoods that are actually community, friends for the kids to play with, etc. WALK/BIKABILITY. We like to walk, and for it to be pretty. I would much prefer to be able to walk my kids to school. I'm also hoping that that would increase community because we'll be close to other people the kids make friends with in class, but as it will be my son's first year in school, I don't actually know how that works. NATURE. This is so important to us. Especially woods. Parks are great, too.

I have it narrowed down to two different places that we can afford, but am having trouble knowing which will be best for our family. One is a mobile home in Park Forest Village, which would have a great yard, woods, parks, no sharing walls, walking distance to school but is literally on Atherton, which I gather is busy, and there's no fence. I love spending time with my kids, but one of the benefits of a yard of course is them getting to play outside w/o me... not possible on such a busy street. They're good kids, but it would only take once.

The other is a townhouse in Boalsburg, so shared walls/yard and a longer bike ride for my husband to get to school. I want my kids to be able to be kids! I'm so sick of having to always shush them so they don't bother others. However, talking to the graduate school director, he says that the Boalsburg area is very community oriented.

I lean toward the mobile home because it's closer and has it's own yard, but good community/nature would make up for a lot of that. Is Boalsburg a place I would find incredible community? Is it better than Park Forest? Does Park Forest have neighborhood picnics, lots of involvement at the school, etc?

I know we can move after a year if we hate the place, but I'd rather not have the kids make friends and then move across town. I've experienced the difference even a few miles can make.

Also, I've noted that there are no meetup.com playgroups in the area. Is there anything else moms use to connect?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 04:49 PM

21 posts, read 57,692 times
I should say up front that I have never lived in State College. However, our family has researched and visited it for years and would LOVE, absolutely LOVE to be able to move there. Congratulations on you and your family getting this opportunity!

As far as communities, from everyone I have spoken with over the years, it seems like you may be looking at two good choices in terms of Park Forest or Boalsburg. I wasn't aware, however, of a mobile home park in Park Forest. (Maybe I've passed right by it and just didn't realize that it was part of Park Forest). Anyway, Park Forest has always seemed to be a fabulous neighborhood, full of children, community events, close enough to the University to be doable/bikable, yet far enough away to be family-oriented and cozy. I also have heard great things about Boalsburg. They have a lovely little park not too far from the square that is just great. We have visited many times and my kids just love it. Actually, we have visited most of the parks in the greater State College area and they're really great.

Truly, I just don't think you'd have a problem with either of your top choices from a community point of view. However, as a mother myself, I would be very concerned living along Atherton with a 3 and 5 year old and having them play outside with no fence. Atherton is the main drag with constant cars, and it would concern me. I know what you mean about constantly "shushing" the children so their noise doesn't disturb others, but if there are lots of kids in the neighboring townhouses, maybe they'd be in the same boat and would understand.

Whatever your choice, Good Luck! The greater State College area is just wonderful, and an ideal and truly idyllic spot to raise a family.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:51 PM

21 posts, read 57,692 times
Oops, forgot to mention this. As far as information for moms, try the macaroni kids website. I forget the actual website, but just search for "marcaroni kids state college" and I'm sure it will pop up. Lots of good information about fun things to do, local events, etc. !

Old 05-04-2011, 07:11 PM

Thank you so much for your responses! I very much appreciate it. The home isn't actually part of a mobile home park, which is kind of odd, but cool. But I think the Atherton thing is a little too risky. :/ So good to hear from a fellow mom that Boalsburg is a great place for family, too. There's only so much google maps will tell you! ;p Do you know if it's fairly flat? Or is it hilly?

I especially appreciate the macaroni kid site. It looks great!

Old 05-05-2011, 02:34 PM

189 posts, read 704,638 times
Hi, welcome to State College and Penn State! It's great that you are going to be moving to our great little section of the world. As the previous poster said, both Park Forest and Boalsburg are wonderful areas.

North Atherton near Park Forest is a pretty busy all day. It's not really congested, just busy. In recent years, so many new stores, restaurants, etc. have popped up on N. Atherton that everyone drives across town there. Of course, this means that you have a nice new Wegmans, Kohls, Target, and soon a Trader Joe's. However, Park Forest itself is pretty much tucked in. some of the homes in PF back onto the restaurants on N. Atherton, however. As long as your mobile home is not right on N. Atherton, it should be fine. There is a mobile home park on N. Atherton the backs up onto PF, but I don't believe that it is connected to PF. The Park Forest Elementary community is really close-knit, especially if you live right in the neighborhood. The pool is also great!

Boalsburg has to be one of the most charming villages around. With the churches, old homes, cute shops, etc., it's great. However, there is not an Elementary School located in Boalsburg. Boalsburg Elem., which currently serves grades 4-5 while Panorama serves k-3, is being sold and will soon be a private Catholic high school. A new school, Mt. Nittany Elem. will consolidated Panorama and Boalsburg, and will be built by Mt. Nittany Middle School, which is past the military museum off Boalsburg Pike. The area is hilly, as is the rest of SC, but I think you can definitely still bike to campus.

Both of them are great choices. The townhome in Boalsburg is in a great area, yet walking to school wouldn't be an option. The mobile home would also be great, but if it's too close to N. Atherton, it could be dangerous. If your not absolutely sold on either of these, maybe look into Bellefonte. Your husband obviously couldn't bike to campus, but the bus runs to Bellefonte. I know of many graduate families who live in Bellefonte. Rent is cheaper, so you could maybe get something bigger, or something with yard. Plus Bellefonte Elem. is centrally located to walk to in town. Shopping would be farther off, but Bellefonte has a grocery store and the necessities. maybe somethibng to think about.

As for getting in touch with other parents, maybe check out Mothers and More State College. The CEA also has a playgroup, I believe: CEA of State College. Also, check out State College MOPS. State College also has a great children's store, Spela Children's Store, which has a play area.

Good luck with your move! I think wherever you choose to live will work out well!

Really, both of them are great options.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:05 PM

Wow! Thank you so much for those links! That's EXACTLY what I needed! I'm so excited!

Old 05-17-2011, 10:37 AM

52 posts, read 138,610 times
Park Forest is a great neighborhood but the mobile home park on Atherton is absolutely a NO GO!!! Please rule it out!

Old 06-20-2011, 12:57 PM

29 posts, read 74,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkaima View Post
My husband and I are moving to State College in August. He got accepted into his grad program at a late date, so most of the housing has been already filled. We have two boys - 3 & 5 and are trying to find the best place for our family. Things important to us: COMMUNITY!!! I need people, neighborhoods that are actually community, friends for the kids to play with, etc. WALK/BIKABILITY. We like to walk, and for it to be pretty. I would much prefer to be able to walk my kids to school. I'm also hoping that that would increase community because we'll be close to other people the kids make friends with in class, but as it will be my son's first year in school, I don't actually know how that works. NATURE. This is so important to us. Especially woods. Parks are great, too.

I have it narrowed down to two different places that we can afford, but am having trouble knowing which will be best for our family. One is a mobile home in Park Forest Village, which would have a great yard, woods, parks, no sharing walls, walking distance to school but is literally on Atherton, which I gather is busy, and there's no fence. I love spending time with my kids, but one of the benefits of a yard of course is them getting to play outside w/o me... not possible on such a busy street. They're good kids, but it would only take once.

The other is a townhouse in Boalsburg, so shared walls/yard and a longer bike ride for my husband to get to school. I want my kids to be able to be kids! I'm so sick of having to always shush them so they don't bother others. However, talking to the graduate school director, he says that the Boalsburg area is very community oriented.

I lean toward the mobile home because it's closer and has it's own yard, but good community/nature would make up for a lot of that. Is Boalsburg a place I would find incredible community? Is it better than Park Forest? Does Park Forest have neighborhood picnics, lots of involvement at the school, etc?

I know we can move after a year if we hate the place, but I'd rather not have the kids make friends and then move across town. I've experienced the difference even a few miles can make.

Also, I've noted that there are no meetup.com playgroups in the area. Is there anything else moms use to connect?

Thank you!
I lived in State College for 18.5 years, so I'd say my opinion counts for a lot! :-) Anyway, the ABSOLUTE BEST part of town to live in if you want "community" feel is the Holmes Foster district. Be sure to snoop around these areas. I do not know about home sales in this part of town, as I'd never been a homeowner, but I have PERSONALLY known tons and TONS of kids in this part of town, and they just keep on having more and more babies around here LOL. Anyway: Search in the areas marked off by: Atherton St. and WEST, out to Buckhout St., and NITTANY Ave SOUTH out to about Hamilton, or possibly down to Westerly Parkway. You will enjoy it. Holmes Foster Park is located centrally in the neighborhood. It won't do much for your car's gas tank, as that section of town is one big hill.... however, if you're looking to make friends, you WILL NOT FAIL.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:06 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,936,282 times
I hope the OP had good luck finding a good place. Holmes-Foster may be well beyond her budget, if she was considering a mobile home.

Some of the most affordable homes in Centre County are in Philipsburg, Centre Hall, and Bellefonte. But some of these homes can be real dumps, though, I believe, so I wouldn't recommend going too cheap. Rent instead. But it seems that people who are priced out of buying within State College may be able to find a home in one of these nearby towns. There are some cheaper townhomes in State College, as the OP found in Boalsburg. I guess trailers too. There's no scheduled bus to State College from Centre Hall or Philipsburg, but there is a possibility of van commuting through CATA (the State College bus system). Also, there aren't as many parks in Bellefonte, Philipsburg, or Centre Hall as in State College I don't think. Very limited shopping too. These are three small, old fashioned, rural towns.

Lion11's post was great. That poster knows State College very well !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania