U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 10:20 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,161,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHIEANDLAURIE View Post
Hello. I am considering accepting a job in Manhatten and would like to live in Pa. We would like a nice clean area, rural is fine, with good schools and affordable. We would be renting and would like a townhouse or duplex. We're originally from the Big Apple and have been living out west for 10 years.
Can someone explain what public transportation is available into the city these days? We had some freinds in E Stroudsbug many years ago. Any ideas, suggestions and or info would be much appreciated!
Woo! urban sprawl! Everyone keeps moving to PA to avoid taxes, and cause they like the rural. Seeing 300+ acre farms that were in tip-top shape and would be good for farming being used for 600-1200 house developments is depressing. Only reason I want people to move to PA is if they have a job in PA. I hope they raise income tax to offset the costs of being a bedroom state.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 11:53 PM

19 posts, read 76,950 times
I live in East Stroudsburg. There is crime everywhere nowadays, not just localized in the burgs. Its unfortunate that we get all the bad publicity. Did everyone forget the terrorists at Bass lake? Most families do not have the luxury of one parent staying at home. Kids that are raised with morals and principles will pick the right path, regardless of two working parents.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:36 PM

4 posts, read 17,606 times
Smile ny commute live in pa

come to bucks co email me at cabisrvp@comcast.net for more

Last edited by cabisrvp; 08-31-2007 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: type error

Old 08-31-2007, 11:27 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,757,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoconoNurse View Post
I live in East Stroudsburg. There is crime everywhere nowadays, not just localized in the burgs. Its unfortunate that we get all the bad publicity. Did everyone forget the terrorists at Bass lake? Most families do not have the luxury of one parent staying at home. Kids that are raised with morals and principles will pick the right path, regardless of two working parents.
I have had some interesting conversations with public health professors from ESU, and they would gladly inform you that there is a HUGE problem in the Poconos these days with unsupervised children/adolescents contributing to the crime and social problems we are now seeing in this region. Yes, many of these kids are from "good" families. Kids will be kids and unsupervised teens = disaster IMO. Obviously the problem is not confined to Stroudsburg and East Stroudsburg proper.

See Pocono Record articles here:
Too many teenagers with too few parents and not enough to do - poconorecord.com - The Pocono Record
Unsupervised kids a recipe for trouble - poconorecord.com - The Pocono Record

Kids are proven statistically to be most at risk in the after-school hours when they are unsupervised:
NEA: NEA Today: Health - Keeping Kids Out of Trouble During After-School Hours (http://www.nea.org/neatoday/0009/health.html - broken link)
http://www.fightcrime.org/reports/as2000.pdf (broken link)
FOXNews.com - Gangs Infiltrating Pocono Mountains Region - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Old 09-02-2007, 07:26 AM

36 posts, read 136,970 times
hi
there are a good number of people who live near me and commute to NYC in a variety of different ways.

I live in Pennsburg, just south of allentown. It is very nice. There is a Bus Company called Bieber Bus Lines (you can look it up) which picks up in Wescosville (near dorney park) and heads to NYC.

You may want to check out Macungie, Pa. a lot of people commute to NYC from there.

I havent been to Scranton in years, but i hear it is forecasted to be a boom town. When i was there i thought it was really nice. University of Scranton is there so it has somewhat of a college town feel to it.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:36 PM

15 posts, read 43,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
Woo! urban sprawl! Everyone keeps moving to PA to avoid taxes, and cause they like the rural. Seeing 300+ acre farms that were in tip-top shape and would be good for farming being used for 600-1200 house developments is depressing. Only reason I want people to move to PA is if they have a job in PA. I hope they raise income tax to offset the costs of being a bedroom state.
This thread may be old, but I had to weigh in on this. You arent "avoiding taxes" by moving to PA. You still pay NY state income tax. The only tax you are "avoiding" is NYC resident tax, but you arent living there, so that isnt "avoiding" anything.

I find it amazingly elitist (and more than a little prejudiced) when people feel comfortable defining the "rules" for who should and should not be able to enter "their" corner of the planet.

PA property tax isnt so low, the commute is long, and you cant escape the NY income tax. As shocking as this may be to you, people move there because they are actually interested in a better life, with nice surroundings for a still (somewhat) affordable price. If you're disgusted that people from "over there" are daring to come to where you are, then why not direct your anger at the folks who chose to sell that farmland. We stopped being an agrarian economy in the early 20th century. People need places to live. Outmoded notions of who "should" and "should not" be "allowed" to live somewhere need to go.

But anyway, before you go hoping that income tax is increased (thus heaping more burden on your fellow "real" Pennsylvanians), I figured I should clue you in that unless it gets increased beyond what you pay to NY State (which is 6.7%), nothing will go to PA. Or perhaps you should hope that PA remove its reciprocal agreement with NY and NJ opening people up to double taxation. Thats a good thing to hope for. If that happens, keep your ears open for the sucking sound of PA getting dragged into the toilet economically as all of the people who happily migrated there from NY and NJ and now spend money locally are forced back.

Its funny... Having grown up in NYC I always really hated the attitude that people in NYC often have regarding "rubes" from PA and NJ who come into the city to have fun on the weekend. That somehow they didnt "deserve" to be anywhere NEAR NYC. I always thought this brand of arrogance was unique to the ivory towers of the big cities. Sad to see that it extends to rural areas as well.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:42 PM

904 posts, read 1,963,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlambert890 View Post
This thread may be old, but I had to weigh in on this. You arent "avoiding taxes" by moving to PA. You still pay NY state income tax. The only tax you are "avoiding" is NYC resident tax, but you arent living there, so that isnt "avoiding" anything.
(Weighing in on an old thread as well.)

If I'm not mistaken, NYS tax would apply only to regular wages earned in NY, not to other sources of income. So, you *would* be avoiding NY's income taxes on any capital gains, interest, and dividends.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:44 AM
jjj

168 posts, read 793,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
(Weighing in on an old thread as well.)

If I'm not mistaken, NYS tax would apply only to regular wages earned in NY, not to other sources of income. So, you *would* be avoiding NY's income taxes on any capital gains, interest, and dividends.
We

My wife and I live in Pa. She works in NJ and I used to work in NY. We never paid income tax to either one of those states. When the tax was deducted from my check at the NY rate, it would automaticaly go to Pa and I would recieve a refund from the State of NY for the difference every year. Same with my wife. We used to live in NJ then moved to Pa 8 years ago. Now our income and property taxes are half of what they were in NJ .

Old 02-12-2008, 04:57 PM

3,522 posts, read 8,879,083 times
In addition to the Poconos, you could also live in the Lehigh Valley (Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton area). That area is more built up than the Poconos and has some good school districts. Trans-Bridge Bus Lines (based in Bethlehem) runs frequent service between the Lehigh Valley cities and the Port Authority Bus Terminal (in addition to having buses that go to EWR and JFK airports). As was noted above, Bieber Tourways also has some bus service between the Lehigh Valley and NYC via park-and-ride stops along the I-78 corridor.

I'd personally recommend the Lehigh Valley over the Poconos unless you want you a more rural setting (relatively speaking) and mountains nearby.

BTW, if you live up in the real boonies, in Pike County near Milford or Matamoras, you could use the Metro-North/NJ Transit Port Jervis Line to get to the NYC metro area. The line runs from Port Jervis (across the Delaware River from Matamoras and within 10 miles of Milford) to Hoboken, and you can get into midtown Manhattan by either transferring to another NJ Transit commuter rail line at Secaucus Junction or by using the PATH Hoboken-33rd Street Line at Hoboken.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:33 AM

13,175 posts, read 31,898,051 times
This thread was started in August of 2006. What's the point of bringing up old threads if there is not a new question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania