Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 02:37 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,734,779 times

Advertisements

Ok I might be ready to do the photo trip up to Oil City. I took enough photos so somebody else could simulate what it is like to have ridden along.

It was just me and the trusty assistant riding shotgun in the back. Trip started in Columbiana, Ohio and went up to Oil City, PA for about 90 miles one way, took a tad under 2 hours. I took something like 123 photos. Mostly freeway type driving, we go thru the town of Franklin, PA which is the County seat.

So it was go north in Ohio to grab I-80 going east, take the exit up to Franklin on SR-8 to SR-62 and into Oil City. I spent about 4 hours in Oil City, driving around and looking / taking photos. It was an all day trip.

Any caption text that explains the photos will be under a particular photo

I still don't have all the photos unloaded to the Web but do a lil test and see how this all goes. And before some Wacko Nut starts I had no intention of "Bashing" anything. It is just like it happened. The judgements are yours. Make anything out it you will.

The trip opens with us already out of Ohio, into PA looking for the right exit off I-80. Country side has been rural, flat, good weather, no snow on the ground, light jacket weather. Time at getting the exit is around 10 AM.

We are on I-80 going east looking for the right exit to go up to Oil City, trip uneventual to this point, typical freeway driving in light traffic. Ok where is that exit?

Duh, this looks like the exit. Exit stage right

Yup this is it.

Follow that truck

Yup that boy is going my way

Bang a left and go for it. Lil dinky two laner going north

Whoa there. I say stop. We got contruction

Now come on back now, easy there. Must be from Florida.

Coffee break and dog walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 02:42 PM

669 posts, read 3,194,272 times
Sure doesn't look like hell, but it sure looks boring and dull to me.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:45 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,785,636 times
Default Absolutely Super!!

Wow, thanks for doing that!! I assume the last photo is on the waaaay to Oil City, not the entrance to Oil City????? Oh dear, this is not the paradise I had hoped it was for NAH.
I hope there are some cool photos to come -- you know, that cultural, vibrant Oil City one dreams of.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:13 PM

Default Act I - Scene II, We go looking for the mountains

Ok, we are streaking North, climbing in elevation, picking up snow on the ground.

Getting colder, Oil City ain't in Ohio

Road splits into a divided highway. This would also be the route NAH would use to go to Pittsburg.

Wonder does Sandy Claws live up this way.

Yup we are hitting some mountains. Checking that oxygen mask.

Coming into the outskirts of Franklin the County Seat

Hitting the first houses outside of town, doesn't look like bad quality homes.

We made a right turn and go into Franklin. The fancy housing district is up to our left as we made the turn. Things getting busy, dodging traffic. Tough to get pix's.

Franklin Main Drag

My BIL likes this town. Comes up each year for the Apple Festival, they shut down the town and bus peeps into a no car zone. It is not on our menu today. Just going thru. The big white thing at the end is the County Courthouse.

Money on the move. Folks are pretty good drivers, not insane like in way to many other places.

The money is going. We are about half way thru Franklin

Going to bang a left and get out of town

Here we see some of the back streets of Franklin. Lot of older seedy looking housing behind the main drag. We are now out of Franklin and heading for Oil City, 8 miles away. Will be running in a river valley, flat land.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:31 PM

Default Act I - Scene III ..... We go looking for the Fab Oil City

In a built up business district outside Franklin

Getting back into the boonies

Pix of the river to the right, it is still frozen over. Multitasking in the cockpit, shooting blind

Hills to our left, we are down the valley, this might flood in a biggy

Starting to see houses on the North bank, just shooting blind, point n clik

Close to town, the tension builds.

More clicking

Should start seeing something on our side soon

Some type of metal working plant

Looks like they are still doing some type of work there

At Fab Oil City, we are on the first bridge following RT-62, will turn right and make our grand entrance. There is a sort of city sections on both sides of the river, both have downtown sections.

Whiz break and I got to go upload more photos. Into the good stuff.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:32 PM

669 posts, read 3,194,272 times
Why do you keep saying Fab Oil City?

I'm not trying to be rude, but the tone of your posts is a little annoying...

Old 03-14-2007, 04:03 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
Why do you keep saying Fab Oil City?

I'm not trying to be rude, but the tone of your posts is a little annoying...
What's wrong with saying "Fab" Oil City? I happen to think Scranton is "fabulous" too, and my pro-Scranton bias is evident in my photo tours of the city as well. Would you rather he say "Drab" Oil City? He visited the town, and he sounded as if he was pleasantly surprised by how NONE of us really "nailed" it with our predictions. I happen to like most of these smaller, "salt of the earth" communities in PA as the people are generally down to earth, laid-back, and friendly. I've never been to the Venango County area before, but if Oil City looks anything like Franklin, then I'm sold! That town was gorgeous, but I must disagree with Cosmic referring to the side streets as being run-down. I'd take an older home with character like that anyday over some of the drab, dull McMansions being built near Scranton by the New Yorkers.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 03-14-2007 at 05:25 PM..

Old 03-14-2007, 05:07 PM

673 posts, read 4,070,237 times
Franklin looks very nice, that town seemed very well-kept. I am looking forward to the Oil City photos.

That area has to be beautiful in the fall when the leaves change with all those trees!

Thanks for the photo tour of Franklin, PA

Old 03-14-2007, 05:19 PM

Default Act II - Scene I ...... We have arrived.

Ok back to work, got like 89 more photos to get thru. Still ain't fully got all of them uploaded.

On the bridge, the Boss on the stereo.

Getting a peek on the bridge to the left, there are two main bridges, couple others tucked around.

Our first look at the town. Note none of the housing styles look the same. We will go up the hill a bit and then bang a right.

Mayday, Maydag, misfire in the cockpit. Way too much going on, need to jam some gears.

Ok, first good look, there are some nice houses. Note the roof design and how no two houses are the same. You can't appreciate nothing from those photos on like a realtor site. You must the able to see the houses in relation to others and the street. Also note how close various houses are to each other and how many have zero off street parking. A very bad condition in general if you have to live like that. And yes we do have yellow brick roads.

Looking down that brick road. It went down the other side to the right.

Down on a lower main type street, these are fairly level. Fair width. You also have to think about how the snow plow will get to you. Some of the streets are winding and narrow. Note only can park on one side. Still a good amount of snow, it was all gone in Ohio.

Always note the roof and ridge / peak designs some are very unique, some just beautiful. Many of those require a very skilled roofer to install. It is the weaving of different styles that provides the charm in many areas. Also note how the street, jog and offset, you do not have standard type layouts in many places. Again what adds so much appeal. Lots of things to consider when buying a house.

Note the amount of detail in some houses, some are glorious. That is super expensive to restore, takes some good skills. Some houses in fab condition.

Here note the sidewalks and amount of set back from the street, that is all over the lot as you go around town. Sidewalks are not a given in any neighborhood, again this feeling of catch and catch-can, what will give it a lot of charm later if enough of the town is restored. You do need a good professional eye to appreciate some things. Those hills are much steeper than they appear on camera. Must be a thrill on a bike if you brakes fail.
You must pay attention to how various areas change elevation and how it is accomplished in terms of streets. Also note you are seeing the town in its most drab condition, just after a bad winter, when all northern towns look there worse. It will look better when things are green and the streets are swept.

Out walking the pup. Did not wave back. This is up toward the top of the hill in the newer sections.

Pay attention to the next two photos, both are close together, we are coasting down a fair hill that is winding. Note one house is sort of ratty, right across the street a nice house.

Houses like this are probably super buys compared to most other fancy places in the country. It is the sheer variety in Fab Oil City that make it so unique.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:34 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Okay. I stand corrected. You went to Oil City. I really didn't believe you. Fantastic job, so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania