Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 04:02 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I'll give Tastykake kudos for their pies. Although pricey at $1.59( they do go on sale for $1 from time to time) their seasonal strawberry pies are the best boxed lunch pies you can get. I also bought the summer berry pies which are a nice change.
I've said thier pumpkin pies are the best around and the key lime, coconut,blueberry and cherry cheesecake are also excellent. They even do a black and white pie which is pretty good, similar to their eclair. I've seen their orange juniors again but haven't tried them yet. And they do some lemon Alexs lemonade stand cupcakes and krimpets I really like.
I think they could cut operating expenses by looking outside the city and they wouldn't lose any quality but thats just my opinion.
Some failed experiments they've tried that I'll pass on: The eggnog pie, the PBJ krimpet, the maple syrup krimpet. I'd like them to try a Holiday mince pie, no meat, just a blend of apples raisins and spices.
The pies are alright, they were the best before they changed the way they baked them.

I also still like the seasonal cookies and my kids love the donut holes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 08:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,310 times
Exclamation Exactly!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susquehannock View Post
I've noticed the same thing. The price for the pies is obscene. I grew up on the Blueberry pies and I remember when they were 15 cents and actually had blueberries in them. I noticed that they still weigh 4 oz. because they most likely added more crust. The TastyKlairs also have only half the icing they once had.

RIP real TastyKake.

I know Keebler isn't part of the thread subject, but they really went down hill too concerning their Townhouse and Club crackers which I once thought were the best. I bought one box of each a few weeks ago. It's been probably two years since I had them and I was looking forward to eating them. I opened them both and they were totally inedible. They have a completely different taste and texture. I fed them to the birds and I'll never buy them again.
Keebler: always loved them, bought the Clubs a few weeks ago, and they were like a harder tasteless texture, something like cardboard, not light and flaky like they used to BE KNOWN for...I thought I grabbed like a box that was a bad batch that accidentally got through the bad batch detector at Keebler or something. Needless to say, I haven't bought them again, and don't plan on ever doing so. Thank God we have Ritz to turn to...

Old 01-05-2012, 09:07 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
I was sooo happy when the Miliitary commissaries started counting Tastykakes until, like you, I took some home. Another dream smashed.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:50 PM

622 posts, read 1,724,161 times
I think this qualifies since Reese's peanut butter cups were born in Hershey- but does anyone remember when they were gooey and delicious inside? you could scoop the peanut butter out with your finger. Now it's that dry, crumbly peanut sawdust yuck.
*sniff* miss the good ones...

Old 01-06-2012, 09:14 AM

207 posts, read 284,666 times
Tastykake, eh, not as good but I'll still eat them.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:57 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
My consumption of Hersheys has plummeted since they started manufacturing them in Mexico and bagan closing down the local factories. Its too bad Milton Hershey neve rhad any kid or maybe that trust that runs it wouldn't take the kind of liberties they do with the company.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:25 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
My consumption of Hersheys has plummeted since they started manufacturing them in Mexico and bagan closing down the local factories. Its too bad Milton Hershey neve rhad any kid or maybe that trust that runs it wouldn't take the kind of liberties they do with the company.
Now that Hershey uses PGPR I find their chocolate tastes like lightly chocolate flavored wax.

Polyglycerol polyricinoleate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd rather spend $2 and get a good Linder chocolate bar.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:41 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Now that Hershey uses PGPR I find their chocolate tastes like lightly chocolate flavored wax.
Man, am I sorry I clicked on that link -- yuck! You're right about spending more for something decent.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:19 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,992 times
I was in Hershey a couple of months ago.

Went to the factory and did the usual tour.
In the gift shop area I told a manager that I thought that their decision to move certain facilities to Mexico was one of the most disgusting things that Hershey could have done.

A couple overheard me and stated to the manager that they wern't aware of the Mexico situation and were very angry over it.

They said they would now think twice before buying Hershey in the future.

The manager attempted to explain about cost of making the product, bla bla bla.

The couple as well as myself stated that we would gladly pay more to ensure that full production remain in PA.

We all walked away in disgust.

Many many people overheard our conversation and I'm very happy they did.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:51 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
One of my favorite snack foods was Troyer Farms potato chips in Waterford; they grew their own potatoes; the factory was right there in the midst of the fields.

Four years ago, the company was sold to Bickel Foods, which is owned by Hanover, and the taste just wasn't the same. The flavors of the all the chips, but especially salt and vinegar chips and barbecue, were bland and the chips were greasier than usual. Last year Bickel shut down the factory in Waterford and moved production to York -- and the chips got even worse.

I get all bummed just thinking about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania