Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 01:36 PM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
I'm from upstate NY and usually post on the NY state page...came here lookin for a post a friend entered. All this talk of rural Pa being homesteaded by nyc'ers and jerseyites reminds me of a funny situation a few years back. Here we are out in the middle of my neighbor's 80+ acre hay field fixin a baler. Out across his field comes this Caddy Escalade w/NJ plates. They wanted to find out about some adjoining woods that were for sale. Did I forgot to mention..as they left their SUV and walked towards us...the driver turned around...and set the security alarm on that thing...............huh?

Did they buy the property?
If they did:

Is your friend still allowed to farm or did they sue him to make him stop?

Have they asked the Township/County to ban hunting?

It got so bad here that some Counties had to implement "Right To Farm" laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 04:12 AM

961 posts, read 2,503,888 times
I guess the point of my little story was...here we are in a rural area...and then in the middle of an 80 acre field...and yet these folks felt threatened by us?..the baler?...the hay field?....or at least worried enough to set their vehicle alarm.....

Old 07-15-2011, 04:27 AM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times
I see that here, too. People get out at the Post Office (yeah, we have no home delivery) and have to walk maybe 20 feet into the very small building and whoop, ding, ding, ding (trying to make car alarm noises) and they set their alarms. It's even done when they just get out to put a letter into the outside box, about 12 feet.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:01 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
I think that it's just habit. The other day, I drove my nephew's beater to a small shop not far from my house. I almost locked the beast before going into the store. Ha ha ha! I should have thrown the key on the front seat and hoped that it was gone when I came out.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:56 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,872,260 times
I lock my car when it's in my driveway and I'm in the garage. It's just a good habit to be in.

I lock it up tight in the locked garage, even.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:16 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
I guess the point of my little story was...here we are in a rural area...and then in the middle of an 80 acre field...and yet these folks felt threatened by us?..the baler?...the hay field?....or at least worried enough to set their vehicle alarm.....
That's good. Maybe they will go away. XD

Old 07-15-2011, 07:49 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,872,260 times
I hope they build three McMansions next to you.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:50 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York City Mom View Post
No offense to anyone, I am now re-thinking my move Pennsylvania. I am new to this blog and was very surprised on the way native Pennsylvania expressed their ignorant bias views of New Yorkers. Surely, there are good and bad every way, but not in PA, if it's bad it's because it came from NYC, REALLY get over your self open your mind.

It seems as if my family will not be welcomed by native Pennsylvania, just because we are from New York City. I am 34 years old Latina female and my husband is a 45 year old African American male who both are college educated and are hard working Civil Servants, my husband and I have never been arrested, sold or bought drugs, and do not drink or smoke anyting!!!!!

We were both born and raised in New York City, Manhattan and the Bronx to be exact. NOT EVERYONE that comes from NEW YORK CITY is bad, low life, riff raff etc, which is what I keep reading on the blog.

We are actually really nice people!!! Get to know us, you would properly be surprised.

New York City Mom

sounds like the whole NEPA fiasco.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:55 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrobbins View Post
Yes, I've been to Ricketts Glen, although its trails are too steep for me now. I've also visited antique shops in Lewisburg. This summer I've been exploring the state, visiting caves and scenic railroads. It requires a lot of driving to reach anything interesting.
Apparently you live in the wrong place for you.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:04 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,254,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrobbins View Post
Yes, I've been to Ricketts Glen, although its trails are too steep for me now. I've also visited antique shops in Lewisburg. This summer I've been exploring the state, visiting caves and scenic railroads. It requires a lot of driving to reach anything interesting.
Don't move out west then. I used to think an hour to the mall was a big deal when I was a kid. Now, I drive 5 hours just go to a camp site (albeit a very good camp site). When I lived in NEPA, 3 hours to Philly or NYC seemed like a drag. Now the 2 closest metro areas are about 5 or 10 hours away. And there is only 2. Imagine how far you can get from NEPA in 10 hours? You'll be in almost Florida!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania