Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 09:02 AM

823 posts, read 3,687,945 times

Advertisements

I can personally vouch that marijuana is not a gateway drug. I have been smoking pot for over 30 years. I once tried coke but didn't like it and I've never had the urge to try any other illegal drugs. I smoke when I go to bed at night. I take about 3 or 4 hits to relax me and that's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 09:40 AM

1,312 posts, read 4,774,146 times
I guess I am in the minority here when I admit I have never used an illegal drug. I'll also say it wasn't because my parents and schools told me not to...it was my own decision--even when I was passing the joint at the party---I just wasn't interested. I'll admit to using the "legal drugs" of nicotine (smartly quit years ago)caffeine, and alcohol.

I don't think gateway was the incorrect choice of words. About every person I know who did drugs first tried marijuana before going on to something stronger...so I think saying it's a gateway drug is an appropriate choice of words. It's just the interpretation of that word.

I don't think debsky meant that marijuana MAKES you move on to other drugs. My interpretation is that once you are in the experience of using marijuana and actively pursuing it, you are introduced to a world you may never have come into contact otherwise. People you would never choose to deal with in the other areas of your life, places you would never go to unless in need of drugs, etc. Dark alleys, bad parts of town, thugs, etc. I used to smoke cigarettes, but it never made me want to move on to pot...but that's probably because the local gas station or CVS wasn't a den of iniquity.

People who actively use illegal drugs are breaking the law and deserve what they get...even if it is just little ol' pot. Sure, make it legal, but then then another drug will just take it's place for all the nuts out there who thinks it's fine.

Debsky, I am sincerely sorry for what has happened to your son, and hope he will change his ways now that he realizes that drug dealers of any kind are dangerous. Good luck to you all.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:42 AM

Norm...just curious...who got you to try coke? Your pot dealer? Your other pot smoking friends? If so, that's gateway! Again, just my interpretation. Another question...after 30 years, there was absolutely nothing else to calm you before bed? Just curious.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:48 AM

1,364 posts, read 2,916,393 times
I am not a pot smoker but I am 100% for it being legalized. Here's a good debate going on the Great Debates forum which includes my reasons why it should be legalized. It's a very interesting thread all around to read:

//www.city-data.com/forum/great...hould-not.html

Old 10-23-2008, 11:37 AM

823 posts, read 3,687,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightermom View Post
Norm...just curious...who got you to try coke? Your pot dealer? Your other pot smoking friends? If so, that's gateway! Again, just my interpretation. Another question...after 30 years, there was absolutely nothing else to calm you before bed? Just curious.
I was in the clothing industry and in the 70s coke was the drug of choice for those people. Almost everyone in my company was doing it and I wanted to see what the big deal was. By the way I have know people that did coke and quaaludes that didn't smoke pot.

I am a terrible sleeper and many times a sleeping pill alone doesn't help to fall asleep but when I smoke and take a sleeping pill the combination works for me.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:10 PM

Ok, I can see that. Thanks for answering; I appreciate it.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debsky View Post
try to learn from our tragedy & think long & hard & VERY, VERY carefully before you attempt to purchase this on your own in the streets of PA. No pain in the world is worth risking your life for . . .
this unfortunate situation could have been completely avoided if marijuana was legal. when the people legally control the purchase, manufacture, and distribution of a product under specific regulatory conditions it removes the black market profit, which in turn removes the organized crime (top to bottom) and takes the patients/customers out of the bad parts of town. I live in New Castle Pa I've heard that its supposedly the 3rd largest drug trafficking city in the country. by no means is new castle safe, and even with a lot of funding going to police the city keeps getting more run down, drug laden, and crime filled. being a marijuana user i can also tell you there are cops in this city who sell weed, chances are every city has cops like this. The profits are particularly tempting when you get your stash free by confiscating it from the public. I know marijuana is not the problem its just an easy target to point blame, I know legalizing all drugs may sound unappealing to many (there are varying degrees of legal) all I'm saying is prohibition obviously isn't working, the government has no right to tell us what is okay for ourselves. And rather than focusing on the problems focus on the solutions start with getting the drugs away from the criminals and then work to educate people (and really educate them don't just tell them to 'just say no' and leave it at that) give them real information on what can happen rather than scare them with over exaggerated unfounded claims (for example: if your a kid who tries pot and realizes that the claims made against it are untrue, how are going to make a rational choice when your pot dealer offers you some coke instead?"

Adults can make there own choices. our founding fathers believed very highly in the power of indigenous right, if someone wants to destroy their own body, no law can stop them. by making drugs illegal it enables the involved individuals to destroy each other as well as uninvolved individuals. also through legalization it would enable these individuals to particiapate in society, through taxes, continued need to work a job because dealing is no longer profitable, (a lot of current dealers collect unemployment or welfare.) no longer fear drug tests to get a job, (use on the job would be prohibited just like alcohol.)

i could go on forever so ill leave it at that

Old 12-07-2008, 08:23 PM

905 posts, read 2,399,970 times
Oh so many things to say...but I think legalization of most drugs is the way to curb sooo much violence, and to provide help for those addicts who need it. The Swiss just recently passed a bill to allow heroin to be provided to severe addicts. Studies show a large drop in crimes and the spread of disease.

As far as weed, it's less harmful than tobacco and alcohol for sure...but the gov't doesn't make any money off weed, so of course it's going to stay illegal. Now i don't use anything, but I believe people should have the right to choose what to put into their body, not the gov'ts knowing "what's best".

I just hate to see so much senseless crime being committed when it doesn't need to be. Legalizing and controlling it then would be more beneficial, no one wants a doctor operating on them after they just took a big bong rip an hour beforehand.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:23 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,800,958 times
The War on Drugs is a farce. Granted, there are some really horrible drugs out there that need to remain illegal, but marijuana is not one of them. It's also been proven by our our government to be safer under the influence of than alcohol.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:54 AM

164 posts, read 384,793 times
For medicinal purposes I think that if it helps to ease the discomfort of someone suffering and it is dispensed by perscription through a pharmacy ... then why not ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania