U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2006, 08:30 PM

5 posts, read 21,554 times

Advertisements

My husband just accepted a position in Owings Mills, MD. The home prices in MD are more expensive than what we're used to in Michigan. We would like to get into a newer house in a good, family-friendly neighborhood (we have a 6 month old daugher). From what we've found, it seems like Southern PA would be a good option. Using mapquest, it seems like Hanover or a southern city might be an OK commute to Owings Mills. However, how is the traffic? Is this sort of commute feasible? Would anyone recommend PA over MD or the other way around? Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2006, 10:50 PM

26 posts, read 134,559 times
Hanover is a nice area although I would look over Shrewsburry, New Freedom and Stewartstown. The homes prices are higher off 83 vs Hanover although the value is better. The area is growning fast. The commute to OM would be faster/better as well.

Nice development - http://www.keystonecustomhome.com/york/koller_pointe/

Old 06-14-2007, 08:54 PM

1 posts, read 4,351 times
I live north of Stewartstown and used to work in Owings Mills. Although the Interstate isn't far, the traffic these days is horrendous. You also need to drive over the Baltimore Beltway for several miles with its nerve-wracking traffic, and then the traffic on Reisterstown Road is nothing short of awful. The drive used to take me over an hour; I'm sure it's longer now with the traffic worse.

Also be aware that some people think taxes in PA are cheaper than in MD. Check that out, because I'm not sure that's true. In York County (location of New Freedom, Stewartstown, and Shrewsbury), we pay real estate tax to the county in April and thento the school districtin August. There is a state income tax, and the sales tax is a percent higher (and I hear is going to go up) than in MD. If you want to be closer to Owings Mills, something in the Hampstead, MD area might suit you - it's a straight shot down to OM, although you still have heavy traffic, especially when you get onto Reisterstown Road. Happy hunting!

Old 06-27-2007, 09:20 PM

2 posts, read 10,917 times
If you are off 83 there is no real need to take it all the way down to the beltway and around to go to Owings Mills. There is a way to get off in Hunt Valley like around Shawan rd. and it takes you into Reisterstown which is right next to Owings Mills.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:39 AM

770 posts, read 3,576,765 times
I have heard that taxes in PA are much higher then here and MD. They may seem cheaper because right now the homes in PA are worth less then the ones in MD. However, as southern PA begins to grow they will assess your home and before you know it you could surpass MD, especially if the tax rate is more. I bought my home in MD 4 years ago for 170K, they recently reassessed my house and it is now worth 278K...which means my taxes are going to go from 1500-2800 a year. Our tax rate in Anne Arundel County is around 1.09.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:46 AM

27 posts, read 91,775 times
i'd love taxes that cheap. i bought my house 2 1/2 years ago for 225k and pay just under 5000 a year in taxes. MD has higher income taxes than PA though, I believe. It all balances it. the govt will get our money no matter what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania