U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 12:35 PM

6 posts, read 42,584 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I have a little info on this subject. I have worked at the Lancaster County Prison (about 1100 inmates) and In the Adams County Prison (About 300 inamtes) and I live in York area.

There is a huge drug problem in the York/Lancaster areas. There are numerous gangs, Latin Kings, Neta are two of the biggest. There are others that I am sure you have heard of, Crips, Bloods and some white supremists along with some Black Supremist groups. York has had gang rallies, and thats a stigma that it can't shake.

I see many of the gang symbols all over the county, but I think they tend to stay mostly in the Cities and some towns. Lancaster and York are bad and even Columbia has a notable presesnce of drugs and gangs.

This is not to say there isn't nice areas in each of these Cities. I wouldn't go to the downtown districts to live or shop. If they controlled the crime/gangs they would be excellent to live near/in. The police and people have pride and try to work for the betterment, but the biggest problem is drugs which is hard to defeat.

I agree with the posters above, stay to the rural areas and keep an eye on your children and you should be ok. I don't think there is anywhere you can go in this day that is drug free, sadly enough.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 04:22 PM

2 posts, read 28,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
Lancaster and Ephrata are really picking up in gang activity and all that goodness from an influence from reading. Parts of york are starting to decay. There is the occasional story in Harrisburg about gang activity. As long as you stay out of the actual city itself and stay in the suburbs in most of the areas in south central PA it's significantly safe than in the cities.
wooo.....i disagree

1.You cannot get influenced by a city,people from cities start to do this on their own by their surroundings or what they see.
2.You can experience gang activity where ever you live...

Old 06-15-2007, 04:28 PM

2 posts, read 28,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty71 View Post
ahem, I'm sure you people will hate me, but I also have to add that I went to college right in downtown Reading for over two years - and, while I didn't wander the streets at night, my friends and I often went for supper etc. downtown. I had night classes, drove in, left...

Here we are, still alive... no scratches.

Being "scared" is something of a state of mind when living in big cities. Change that mindset to being "smart" and you will be ok. Most people who get mugged or threatened, what have you, were acting in a less than smart way... walking around alone in known "rough" areas, drinking, not acting defensively - or, they are actually PARTICIPATING in gang behavior - that is what most of the violent crime there (and most places) is about. I don't think they are really targeting anyone who makes an appearance.

the way people are talking on here you'd think you'd get shot simply standing on the sidewalk in mid-day in Reading, or mugged in downtown Ephrata!!! get over it!!!
I agree with you...i lived in Reading 6 years...im in perfect shape...my kids are doing geat in school...my daughter graduated....and I enjoy Reading

Old 06-16-2007, 08:11 AM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,140,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
Just curious if anyone would kindly respond to this......I havent had much luck in finding out specifically what areas the gang infiltration is in pa.

We are considering Lehigh valley area/Bucks county area or lower saucon valley area.

The schools appear to be good, neighborhoods appear to be fine....so whats the deal with the crime rate and gangs?

Where are they, what cities do we NOT want to live near?
==========================================

When you say gangs what exactly are you referring to - drug sellers, blood & crips, prostitution or just crackheads committing a crime here and there for a fix?

I am just curious because you could have a nice good neighborhood but yet have some bad elements coming and going when they please. Drug dealers will infiltrate anywhere as long as they get paid.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:18 AM

34 posts, read 156,122 times
so which city is better in terms of less crime, better job oportunity and better house prices? Reading, Harrisburg or Pottsville? the more crime the less the house prices and less quality in terms of school education.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:23 PM

1 posts, read 13,629 times
Default Gangs in the lehigh valley

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
Just curious if anyone would kindly respond to this......I havent had much luck in finding out specifically what areas the gang infiltration is in pa.

We are considering Lehigh valley area/Bucks county area or lower saucon valley area.

The schools appear to be good, neighborhoods appear to be fine....so whats the deal with the crime rate and gangs?

Where are they, what cities do we NOT want to live near?
There are gangs everywhere it seems. Allentown has many gangs. There are many lovely areas of Allenown. However I would choose not to live in Allentown. Parkland school district is an excellent school district as well as Emmaus ( East Penn SD ) matter of fact I believe that emmaus was just rated top 10 places to live for one reason or another. Saucon school dist. is also very nice but pricey. Good luck

Old 10-06-2007, 07:35 AM

755 posts, read 2,236,335 times
Try Milford and surrounding areas west and north of Milford. Very nice and rural. You can get a lot for your money. Delaware Valley and Wallenpaupack School Districts are awesome.

Stay away from Ponoco Country Place in Tobyhanna...I've heard many, many stories of gang issues there. I have a friend who lives there and have visited a few times. It looks very city-ish once you get past the security gates.....

Old 10-07-2007, 07:30 PM

13,321 posts, read 21,818,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp2025 View Post
can anybody tell me about the camalback area as far as the gangs and drugs
If your one of the young students coming to work there this winter, please don't worry. You will be fine.
I have lived in two different parts of Monroe Cty. for 13 years and have never "seen" a crime happen. Granted we hear of some, but just be in places that feel safe to you, with people who are not troublesome, or into doing something that you don't feel is right. Just leave!!
I use to tell this to my teens if something doesn't appear right, or feels like trouble........call me I'll come get you. It happened probably once or twice. Not in this state either it was in NJersey.
It felt good getting that call.
Camelback is fun and enjoyable, you will like it there.
Just don't go with anyone into a place like mentioned here in this thead APCP....
I'm sure you will enjoy Camelback, its beauty and surroundings. Right now the top of that mountain is awesome.
Then again, if you are someone looking to buy or rent there, I think thats ok too.......look into all the facts first.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:57 PM

41 posts, read 306,493 times
Default Coal Region

I live in the Coal Region in Shamokin, and believe me, there are gangs and drugs in every city-it's just how much there is, not if there is. I'm unsure of gang activity, but in the mid 90's there was a gang, called "The Skin Heads",they were a white supremacy gang but I haven't heard about them in while. Although there is a lot of drug activity for a town of 10k ppl. I know, my brother was into drugs heavy and that was in his mid to late teens(probably still is). Bad influence, wrong crowd. Our parents were divorced in the 80's and blames most of it on that.

So believe me, it's not "IF" there is drugs/gangs, it's "HOW MUCH" drugs/gangs there are.

Gangs are everywhere, look at schools, how the kids are divided into groups/gangs...the popular kids, the "rejects", for example.

It's the world we live in, but hey, this stuff was around for hundreds of years! It just seems like there is more because of how much it is spoken about on the News and on-line. 50 years ago there wasn't News like there is today and there was no internet.

So play it smart and you should be safe.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:05 AM

1 posts, read 13,048 times
Im a teenager from a town just out side Reading, it has a very bad reputation for drugs and gang's. not long ago a very good freind of my was beaten up for no reason, the gangs seem to be moving off there own turf and attacking people in there home towns this is a real problem and its only a matter of time before a person is killed either by been stabbed or beaten up .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania