Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 09:16 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
So you believe there is a conspiracy to pay actors to ride around in buggies? Who would do that, and more importantly, who would pay for that?!
I'd pay for a buggy ride.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:30 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionshead86 View Post
I grew up in PA and left as soon as I finished college.

Aesthetically: Yes, the countryside can be nice and there are a few nice small towns (Lewisburg, Bloomsburg, Doylestown), and a few parts of philadelphia are nice (Center City, Germantown) but the other 90% of the state is a wreck. For the most part Philadelphia is a filthy mess. Other than the three small towns I mentioned the rest Look like something out of a zombie movie..frozen in time full of crazy backwards people stuck in the 1950s. Harrisburg has a street or two but for the most part looks like a haunted shell. As far as Pittsburgh goes I was unimpressed with its bland Midwestern feel and year-round gloomy weather.

Out West you have appalachian hillbillies and bland Midwestern Pittaburghers. Central PA is a little rural for my tastes but it really is so insular being 3 hours to any modern civilization in any direction. Philidelphia could be world class if it wasn't for the complete 180 degree difference between downtown and er..the ghetto which surrounds it for miles and miles.

I think the plague is the people. They are contented with less than mediocrity. It's a shame though because PA has a lot of potential. It doesn't take much to put some New shutters on a town house and a flower box. Maybe plant some trees on the street. But not enough peopleople don't have that vision. They're content with their rotting lot.
Pittsburgh has a bland Midwestern feel? You definitely have never been to the Midwest if you think that way and learn how to spell BTW. Oh well you're not a loss to our commonwealth anyway with your ignorance.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:30 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionshead86 View Post
I grew up in PA and left as soon as I finished college.

Aesthetically: Yes, the countryside can be nice and there are a few nice small towns (Lewisburg, Bloomsburg, Doylestown), and a few parts of philadelphia are nice (Center City, Germantown) but the other 90% of the state is a wreck. For the most part Philadelphia is a filthy mess. Other than the three small towns I mentioned the rest Look like something out of a zombie movie..frozen in time full of crazy backwards people stuck in the 1950s. Harrisburg has a street or two but for the most part looks like a haunted shell. As far as Pittsburgh goes I was unimpressed with its bland Midwestern feel and year-round gloomy weather.

Out West you have appalachian hillbillies and bland Midwestern Pittaburghers. Central PA is a little rural for my tastes but it really is so insular being 3 hours to any modern civilization in any direction. Philidelphia could be world class if it wasn't for the complete 180 degree difference between downtown and er..the ghetto which surrounds it for miles and miles.

I think the plague is the people. They are contented with less than mediocrity. It's a shame though because PA has a lot of potential. It doesn't take much to put some New shutters on a town house and a flower box. Maybe plant some trees on the street. But not enough peopleople don't have that vision. They're content with their rotting lot.
There seems to be a lot of generalizing going on here. You don't have to look hard to find beauty anywhere you go in Pennsylvania, from the beautiful scenery, valleys, mountains, and rivers, to the gorgeous historic architecture. The small towns and cities are full of history and urban charms. Yes, there are areas of blight, but there are also just as many areas with beautifully maintained and restored homes and buildings. This is true of the small towns and big cities alike. Nothing is perfect in this world. Ugliness and beauty will always coexist and enhance each other. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I find everything from the slums of Philadelphia to the glory of Rittenhouse Square absolutely enchanting, and I wouldn't want to imagine Philadelphia (or any city) without both sides of the coin. If I wanted to live where everything looked the same, I would go to the suburbs, not a city. I've done a lot of traveling in Pennsylvania, and every place I have been to has been unique, and has its good and bad. You have to take the good and the bad in this world. There is no perfect place -- but, to me, PA's imperfections are what makes it an intriguing and interesting place! Why would I want to live somewhere predictable and boring? Pennsylvania is never predictable and never boring!

I will never have to leave Pennsylvania to find what I'm looking for. If I want to live a NYC lifestyle, I can move to Philadelphia. If I want to live in a beautiful, quaint small town with history, beautiful scenery and architecture, I can move to Gettysburg or Ligonier. If I want to go swimming and enjoy beautiful beaches at Presque Isle, I can go to Erie. If I want East Coast style history and architecture, without the big-city price tag and stress, I can move to York or Lancaster or Easton. If I want an affordable mid-size city with bigger city amenities and presence, there's Pittsburgh. If I want a small city with urban amenities and character, there's Harrisburg, Uniontown, Greensburg, Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Johnstown, Altoona, Erie, Allentown, Reading, Bethlehem, Pottsville, York, Lancaster, and Williamsport! The list goes on. I don't think there is much that you could be looking for that can't be found in this state, aside from tropical weather and Palm trees.

Last edited by PreservationPioneer; 08-15-2012 at 07:41 AM..

Old 05-17-2017, 10:12 PM

4 posts, read 5,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurythewise View Post
Is it the potholes in the road?
Is it the neverending road construction projects?
Is it the below-average salary in most job areas?
Is it the uneducated idiots with a chip on their shoulder?
Is it the fact that it only has one semi-modern city?
Is it the high murder rate of Filthadelphia? Reading?
Would you vacation here for more than a day?
Is it the awful regional cuisine?
Is it the dumb dutch culture? (I use the word 'culture' sparingly)

And to those who moved out of PA, how long did it take you to Detox
PA from your system? Don't be afraid these hicks can't harm you anymore.

Exactly.
There's a reason PA has lost population while most other places are gaining. I've had 2 full-time jobs, each about 15 years apart, both I think were in the same building, although remodeled. This was in Wyncote, near Jenkintown. I left a review on Glassdoor about the second job. They were both horrible. I was like a scared rabbit, at 24 at the first job, where I was bullied by the owner on the first day I was being trained on the switchboard and was alone on it at the time. The company was Delaware Valley Underwriting, which as far as I can tell is now defunct. The second Company is still in business -- There I was also bullied by my immediate supervisor. The owner had nothing to say when I went up to his office in tears. He asked if anyone else there had bothered me and I did mention the other person who was snotty -- the company "computer person".

Then I took a job for an hour about 5 years ago, helping an older lady get a bath. She was ridiculous. I was trying to do extra things to help her get a gift for her friend, on MY time and while I'm trying, she's shouting and asking where I am. Out trying to look for the gift, that's where! These are just a few examples of how bad the people are here generally. I'm a very friendly person and in the 25 years I've been in this area (I grew up in Philly but left soon after high school), I made only one friend I could hang out with, and she had too many mental problems and also not exactly a "sweetheart". Amazingly, I managed to get two people to give me a reference, which I did not have a chance to use. One is a neighbor and the other is one of our contractors.

The weather here I guess is not obscure knowledge as with the potholes. I have never found this area to have many warm people. It also seems to be behind the times, with less to offer than that of other areas. I spent some time in Atlanta which by far was more modern, as well as friendlier. I plan to soon move to South Carolina and I can't wait.

If you want to avoid unfriendly, slovenly people who drive recklessly and rudely, don't move anywhere near Hatboro or Warminster. I lived in Hatboro for 2 years and it has it's own set of nasty people. Go south if you can. If you must move here, try to go to a more upscale area such as Upper Bucks county or some other upscale area that is more off the beaten path. Once I leave this area, I don't plan to return. The only good thing around here is good medical care. Dental care, however has not been good, except for a good endodontist. Once I leave here, I don't plan to ever return for any reason.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-18-2017 at 05:24 AM.. Reason: removed name of company - libel

Old 05-18-2017, 12:44 AM

68 posts, read 71,182 times
Traveling all over America made me realize how nice Pennsylvania really is. I've loved visiting many places, but found none I ultimately wanted to live in more than central PA. I'll list some of the reasons.

-- I love our landscape. I love the vibrant green, forests, impressive fall colors, and mix of rolling hills, valleys, and low mountains. So many states have terribly monotonous looks, or worse, lack greenery.

-- In my part of PA we have a strong job market combined with quite low housing costs.

-- We have endless attractive small towns with great historic architecture.

-- In my area we have wonderful hiking trails, waterways, public parks, state parks, and state forests all around us.

-- We're much less prone to natural disasters than almost every other state.

-- Our sales and state income taxes are reasonable, and property taxes in lots of places are too.

Sure, there are parts of the state with a lot of uneducated "hicks" but that's true of most states and my area is quite educated. We have a great selection of dining of all types, including ultra-modern stuff like fusion cafes and authentic Vietnamese, Korean, and Japanese restaurants.

Yes, Reading is a hell-hole and the road system in many areas throughout the state sucks, though I've seen some states with even worse road systems. I do NOT like the PA Dutch/Amish culture, but it's not that hard to avoid them. We have some weird laws and systems, but they're beneficial as often as not once you figure them out. My chief complaint is the climate is too hot for me, but I'd practically have to move to the arctic circle to avoid that complaint (and then it wouldn't be green enough, lol). And the road system. That really DOES suck. But nowhere's perfect.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:23 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion Garden View Post
Traveling all over America

-- Our sales and state income taxes are reasonable, and property taxes in lots of places are too.

Traveling is not the same as living somewhere. The only states our taxes and fees are comparable to are in the Northeast and California.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:46 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Traveling is not the same as living somewhere. The only states our taxes and fees are comparable to are in the Northeast and California.
Not true - our taxes and fees are significantly lower than our NE neighbors and CA. Got to NJ, NY, or MA, or even MD, and complain about your state taxes. They will laugh at you.

Our taxes are middle of the road for the country. 6% sales tax is very average. 3.07% flat income tax is low. Property taxes are on the high side but not absurdly so.

What's high is the corporate net income tax (9.99%).

Old 05-19-2017, 09:15 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Not true - our taxes and fees are significantly lower than our NE neighbors and CA. Got to NJ, NY, or MA, or even MD, and complain about your state taxes. They will laugh at you.

Our taxes are middle of the road for the country. 6% sales tax is very average. 3.07% flat income tax is low. Property taxes are on the high side but not absurdly so.

What's high is the corporate net income tax (9.99%).
Not absurdly so? I have friends and relatives outside of PA who pay 3/4 less in property taxes. Our gas tax is one of the highest in the country. It costs me 30+ cents less to fill up in Ohio. If there is a way to tax something, PA will find it - occupational privilege tax, drink tax, increased fees, set prices, etc.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:40 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySandAndWater View Post
There's a reason PA has lost population while most other places are gaining. I've had 2 full-time jobs, each about 15 years apart, both I think were in the same building, although remodeled. This was in Wyncote, near Jenkintown. I left a review on Glassdoor about the second job. They were both horrible. I was like a scared rabbit, at 24 at the first job, where I was bullied by the owner on the first day I was being trained on the switchboard and was alone on it at the time. The company was Delaware Valley Underwriting, which as far as I can tell is now defunct. The second Company is still in business -- There I was also bullied by my immediate supervisor. The owner had nothing to say when I went up to his office in tears. He asked if anyone else there had bothered me and I did mention the other person who was snotty -- the company "computer person".

Then I took a job for an hour about 5 years ago, helping an older lady get a bath. She was ridiculous. I was trying to do extra things to help her get a gift for her friend, on MY time and while I'm trying, she's shouting and asking where I am. Out trying to look for the gift, that's where! These are just a few examples of how bad the people are here generally. I'm a very friendly person and in the 25 years I've been in this area (I grew up in Philly but left soon after high school), I made only one friend I could hang out with, and she had too many mental problems and also not exactly a "sweetheart". Amazingly, I managed to get two people to give me a reference, which I did not have a chance to use. One is a neighbor and the other is one of our contractors.

The weather here I guess is not obscure knowledge as with the potholes. I have never found this area to have many warm people. It also seems to be behind the times, with less to offer than that of other areas. I spent some time in Atlanta which by far was more modern, as well as friendlier. I plan to soon move to South Carolina and I can't wait.

If you want to avoid unfriendly, slovenly people who drive recklessly and rudely, don't move anywhere near Hatboro or Warminster. I lived in Hatboro for 2 years and it has it's own set of nasty people. Go south if you can. If you must move here, try to go to a more upscale area such as Upper Bucks county or some other upscale area that is more off the beaten path. Once I leave this area, I don't plan to return. The only good thing around here is good medical care. Dental care, however has not been good, except for a good endodontist. Once I leave here, I don't plan to ever return for any reason.

You have a lot of growing up to do. PA is over 46,000sq miles in land area, nearly 13M people, yet the whole state sucks because you can't seem to keep a job. Maybe the problem is you and not Pennsylvania.

FYI, not all of PA is losing population, SEPA is doing just fine.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:43 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion Garden View Post
Traveling all over America made me realize how nice Pennsylvania really is. I've loved visiting many places, but found none I ultimately wanted to live in more than central PA. I'll list some of the reasons.

-- I love our landscape. I love the vibrant green, forests, impressive fall colors, and mix of rolling hills, valleys, and low mountains. So many states have terribly monotonous looks, or worse, lack greenery.

-- In my part of PA we have a strong job market combined with quite low housing costs.

-- We have endless attractive small towns with great historic architecture.

-- In my area we have wonderful hiking trails, waterways, public parks, state parks, and state forests all around us.

-- We're much less prone to natural disasters than almost every other state.

Sure, there are parts of the state with a lot of uneducated "hicks" but that's true of most states and my area is quite educated. We have a great selection of dining of all types, including ultra-modern stuff like fusion cafes and authentic Vietnamese, Korean, and Japanese restaurants.

Yes, Reading is a hell-hole and the road system in many areas throughout the state sucks, though I've seen some states with even worse road systems. I do NOT like the PA Dutch/Amish culture, but it's not that hard to avoid them. We have some weird laws and systems, but they're beneficial as often as not once you figure them out. My chief complaint is the climate is too hot for me, but I'd practically have to move to the arctic circle to avoid that complaint (and then it wouldn't be green enough, lol). And the road system. That really DOES suck. But nowhere's perfect.

I think those who trash PA could have possibly grown up in a rough area or had a tough upbringing, but I agree. I have visited 42 US states, spent a lot of time in over a dozen states and PA is still one of my favorite states. And the truth is, NO state is void of hicks or poverty or crime. Even the beloved NY state is not different than PA outside of the NYC bubble (NYers don't like to admit that).

Some of the most beautiful charming towns I have ever experiences are in the suburbs of Philadelphia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania