Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 03:20 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon everyone! For my day off from work today I decided to take the trek all the way down to Selinsgrove, Snyder County, in order to snap a new photo tour. This quaint community is home to Susquehanna University, a thriving historic downtown, and a scenic location along the Susquehanna River. I was generally impressed by just how friendly everyone in town was and just how beautifully most of the older dwellings were maintained. I now consider Selinsgrove to pretty much be the "little brother" of Lewisburg as a result.

As you head towards town via I-80, you'll first pass through Danville, which is a smaller town home to the Geisinger Medical Center and Janet Weis Childrens' Hospital. You then pass through a rural stretch of Point Township until you enter Northumberland, another very quaint small town at the confluence of the main stem and west branch of the Susquehanna River (expect an upcoming photo tour of both Danville and Northumberland as well). You then pass into butt-ugly communities called Shamokin Dam and Hummels Wharf, which is the "chain" district of Selinsgrove. It is here that you'll find the Susquehanna Valley Mall, which is anchored by Sears, Boscov's, The Bon-Ton, and JCPenney. There's also a movie theater in the mall, along with a drive-in theater about ten minutes north of town in Point Township. Surrounding chain stores along this ugly, congested stretch of Routes 11/15 include Lowe's Home Improvement, Wal-Mart, and Value City, along with Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday, Arby's, Long John Silver's, and just about any other chain restaurant you could think of.

The town of Selinsgrove itself is quite charming. The downtown was vibrant with a lot of nicely-refurbished historic buildings, but it was noticeably dead for a downtown area---there were very few souls out and about window-shopping with the exception of a few construction workers who were painting new crosswalk lines along Market Street, the town's main drag. The people who I did come across were mostly elderly; I suppose the influx of rowdy college kids (such as yours truly) won't come for another two weeks or so.

Forum member "Dawne" lives in Selinsgrove, and I'm sure she can elaborate upon anything I missed, as I was only in town for about two hours today due to a time crunch (I had a DATE, believe it or not, at 2:30 PM!) While I still like Lewisburg better than Selinsgrove, this town proves itself worthy of being a great relocation destination about 90 minutes from Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, 45 minutes from Williamsport, and an hour from Harrisburg. Please enjoy my photo tour as much as I enjoyed snapping it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 03:27 PM

Smile Welcome to Selinsgrove!

The following images were snapped in and around the gorgeous campus of Susquehanna University and the surrounding neighborhood near University Avenue and West Pine Street.

(PHOTOS TO BE CONTINUED BELOW)

Old 08-15-2007, 03:35 PM

Smile Downtown Area

The following images were snapped in and around Downtown Selinsgrove, specifically around Market Street.

Blue Dog Imaging

Selinsgrove Town Hall

Selinsgrove Police Department

Snyder Monument Inside of a Historic Cemetery

Sharon Lutheran Church

Selinsgrove Post Office

Some More Downtown Scenes From Along Market Street

(PHOTOS TO BE CONTINUED BELOW)

Old 08-15-2007, 03:56 PM

Smile Part Three

Here is a random hodge-podge of other images I snapped from around this gorgeous, friendly town.

Little 'ole Selinsgrove resembles a densely-populated, well-kept neighborhood in Philadelphia or Brooklyn from this image taken along Orange Street.

Looking down Market Street from the north end of town. Note the Selinsgrove Hotel on the left-hand side.

Some 1960s-1970s-era neighborhood scenes from along Susquehanna Avenue on the west side of town.

An abandoned train station blights North High Street. This building appeared to be for sale---it would make an awesome jazz cafe in my humble opinion.

Another blighted building along West Snyder Street, which runs between North Market Street and North High Street. I see potential in this building for loft apartments or artists' studios.

Looking across North High Street towards the rear of the homes along Orange Street and a community cemetery.

A pair of well-kept dwellings along West Chestnut Street.

Some residential areas of South Market Street.

A scene from along East Pine Street.

The Firehouse Marketplace, Corner of South Water Street & East Pine Street.

Some residential scenes from along North Water Street

(END OF TOUR)

Old 08-15-2007, 06:00 PM

393 posts, read 1,530,548 times
I'm not saying which one, but my wife grew up in one of the houses that is pictured.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:36 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,693,201 times
Great photo tour, Paul. I was in town yesterday, too, around 12:30. I had to stop in at the Borough building (which I think you called Town Hall) to pick up some things. The library is also located in that building.

In case anyone was wondering, some of the photos show purple blotches painted in the street. Those were footprints that were painted to direct people to the Relay for Life in June. Everyone is hoping they wear off very soon, as they are quite ugly now and no longer serve any useful purpose.

You had a picture of the Selinsgrove Hotel. Directly across the street from that is the Selinsgrove Inn, a new building (opened within the past year) that was built to look old. I understand it's beautiful inside and the rooms are very, very nice.

Paul, did you get out onto the Isle of Que? It's across the bridge on East Pine Street. There's a beautiful drive there along the Susquehanna River, and Selinsgrove Projects, Inc. (the revitalization group in town) is having the public boat launch redone.

I noticed you managed to avoid taking a picture of the empty lot in front of the Borough building. An old CVS drugstore was torn down there and the lot is now known as "The Commons". Soon it will be a parklike setting, with benches for reading books borrowed from the nearby library, flowering plants and trees, and a water feature. It should be quite lovely when finished.

I agree that Selinsgrove is not up to Lewisburg's standards as of yet, but my hopes are that it will be soon. Selinsgrove has placed their ad in the newspaper for a Main Street Manager, so the downtown will be improving even more.

The Susquehanna University students come back (I think) next week (possibly moving in this weekend) and then the community will be bustling once again. That picture you took of Orange Street is mostly student rental housing and it will be a hub of activity very soon. As I was driving through town yesterday I was thinking of how the quiet peacefulness will soon be shattered by students arriving (and partying). Life will be busy and bustling again soon.

Let me know if anyone has any questions.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:14 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,693,201 times
Paul, the picture of the train station didn't load above, so for anyone who's interested, here's the realtor's link:

Looking for property

Search for it using MLS #06-28195.

It would make an excellent restaurant (and was almost sold for one but the deal fell through) or hobby shop. The issues involve only one present bathroom, and the Borough requiring the parking lot to be paved and a sidewalk to be installed, which could run into tens of thousands of dollars. As you can see from the interior pictures, it needs a lot of work. But if someone had the money, it could be brought back to rival the train station in Paul's Jim Thorpe photo tour, or the brand new "station" building built near Brookpark Farm in Lewisburg.

I'll be adding more thoughts on more of the photos soon...

Old 08-17-2007, 05:00 PM

393 posts, read 1,530,548 times
There used to be a karate' studio on the top floor.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:16 PM

9 posts, read 57,563 times
Very nice pictures you did a wonderful job takeing them I love looking at the picture more then I like the post! Agian you did a wonderful job! TY!

Old 08-19-2007, 01:48 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I love Selinsgrove! It's an adorable town!

IMO, you don't get much for your money in Selinsgrove which is surprising for being in the middle of nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania