U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 12:46 PM

3 posts, read 17,002 times

Advertisements

MOD CUT - This thread was started in 2006 and the OP is not on city-data any more.

Hi all, I am from Pennsylvania and somehow ended up stuck in N.C. I am interested in buying a row home in Reading and moving back to the state in the next year.

Living in the city, it is important to be in the right neighborhood and even on the right street. Does anyone have any information on neighborhoods in Reading?

I have seen many previous threads where people recommended Wyomissing, Sinking Spring, etc. This is not what I am looking for. I am looking for a working-class neighborhood in the city, basically not the projects. I don't care about the racial makeup of the area except that I would prefer to be in a neighborhood where at least a majority of people/businesses speak English. Ideally there would be some businesses within walking distance.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-22-2021 at 03:50 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2006, 08:52 PM

2 posts, read 18,642 times
Default Reading, Pa

I was born and raised in Reading but the last time I was back for a visit about a year ago it was bad. The NE section of the city at one time was the place to live but even there things did not look too inviting. Everywhere you looked there was trash around. I really don't think you want to buy a home within the city.

Old 09-15-2006, 11:09 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,161,758 times
The closer to penn street the better.

I personally would recommend some where other than inner reading though. There is affordable housing with less crime elsewhere.

Old 09-18-2006, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 15,826 times
Default Other places to live

What are your recommendations for the "better" living areas near Reading?

Old 09-22-2006, 02:30 PM

4,327 posts, read 8,642,995 times
You can't be in your right mind! Reading is a dump. I would advise you move to Allentown which is also a dump before Reading. My gosh! What are you thinking?

Old 03-19-2007, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 15,797 times
Reading is like any other city: there are good spots and bad spots. If you are going to live in the city, I would stick to the Northeast part of the city. The Centre Park Historic District is really nice, among others. If you are thinking about moving outside of the city, there are very few bad areas in the county, and there is some very affordable places to live.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Yac; 03-20-2007 at 05:44 AM.. Reason: Realtor advertising not allowed.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 14,369 times
Default We Want You!

Dear BMS00,

Where are you now? We need you and opportunity abounds in Reading.

Allis

Old 06-17-2009, 09:20 PM

46 posts, read 268,564 times
Nice areas in center city Reading, my opinions, having lived there 7 of the last 9 years:
Penns Commons (part. historic near City Park),
East Reading towards Mt. Penn (13th St and eastward/south of Chestnut),
Northeast north of the high school, east of 11th (and around Albright College),
Northwest - north of Buttonwood St./east of Schuylkill Ave.
Centre Park (historic),
South of Bingamin St. Bridge - "outside" the city (not really) Millmont or Brookline on either side of Bus. 222/Lancaster Ave.

From personal experience - East Reading, zip 19606 inside the city from S.16th St. to S.19th/20th near Perkiomen Ave. and Cotton St. was a few hundred dollars cheaper for car insurance than just a few blocks on Good & Clymer Sts. near Central Catholic HS, zip 19602 (which ends near S.15th St.) - if that is a factor in your move.

Last edited by kf70; 06-17-2009 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: experience

Old 09-20-2012, 01:28 PM

4 posts, read 13,412 times
Hello I am from Ny suburbs, we are moving to Reading,PA. Wanted to know if Wyoming or laurel dale are good areas to raise children, and if not what's other outer parts of Reading have nice homes and yards?
Thank you

Old 09-20-2012, 02:28 PM

933 posts, read 1,842,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jina.g View Post
Hello I am from Ny suburbs, we are moving to Reading,PA. Wanted to know if Wyoming or laurel dale are good areas to raise children, and if not what's other outer parts of Reading have nice homes and yards?
Thank you
I'm not familiar with the Wyoming section of Reading, unless you mean Wyomissing. Wyomissing is a nice area if you're looking for a nice suburban feel with lots of big chain stores close at hand and a nice yard.

I don't know quite where the lines are drawn, but Reading school district is among the worst in the state. If you can at all avoid living within that school district, do. The taxes are higher and resale values are lower for exactly that reason. If you can, try to live in Mifflin school district. I know Mohnton/Cumru are both Mifflin, parts of Shillington and Kenhorst as well. I'm not sure what school district Exeter is in, but I believe Brecknock, Berks is Mifflin. Brecknock, Lancaster is Elanco, which is a pretty crumby district. Just be real careful, there are streets where one side of the block in Mifflin and the other is Shillington.

If you want, I can DM you my realtor's information. I told her what I was looking for and she went and found it exactly to the letter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jina.g View Post
My family and I are thinking of moving to Pottsville. What are some attractions it has and where are the good area for a small family with two little boys. How are the schools and how is the cost of living? How far from Reading?
To answer your post from another thread, you can see exactly how happening Pottsville is based on 0 responses to this post in 2 months. Pottsville is a little coal town in coal country, it has a very creepy vibe to it. On the to-do list is the Yuengling Brewery, and not much else. It's about 30-45 minutes north of Reading along 61, with no traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania