Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 07:38 PM

889 posts, read 2,575,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
that' what i thought too but when i called the private agency that wants the money--they said everyone gets them whether they are old,renters,have kids in school or not--so i called my local borough building and their secretary said she is paying one for herself,her husband and her youngest son that is away but using their home address--yet no one could tell me what or where this legal requirement can be found---not surprised---even tho the bill is labeled for wvw school taxes
Are you aware that PA has tax relief from property taxes (i.e., school taxes) for senior citizens? If you're unaware, I'd suggest you make a call to the local office of your state representative or state senator, their staff is typically pretty good at this sort of thing -- explaining how it works, getting the forms to you, helping you fill out the forms, following up on the submittal, etc. Make those slippery politicians earn their keep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
We're talking about a state where dead people routinely "vote." As they say, vote early and vote often....but in NEPA, only if you vote straight "D."
I lived in Illinios for a while back in the 80s. PA and NEPA has nothing on how it works (worked?) there. Common conversation from back then, I kid you not:

Co worker: Did you vote today?
Me: Yes. Did you?
Co worker: Yes, I voted in Jefferson County, and Joe Schmoe {local political party hack} gave me $10 gas money to go vote in Franklin County, where I used to live.
Me: Oh.
Co worker: That's how it works here. I'm a very loyal D {or R, depending on who you talk to}.

When a few people say something like that to you, you know it's not small time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 07:46 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
But what statute or law does annie's municipality have to charge renters school taxes?

Old 08-31-2011, 08:49 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
When voting for the first time, a mail applicant voter must provide an approved ID at the polling place. If they apply and also plan to vote via mail, they must submit approved ID with the application. It isn't clear how this is checked on, but it probably is.
This will be fine and dandy, except that the voter registration card that they send, with its fake name and phony address, serves as ID.

There are dogs registered to vote in:
Alabama Dog mailed voter registration form | The Troy Messenger
New Mexico Dog Registered To Vote In New Mexico - Albuquerque News Story - KOAT Albuquerque (http://www.koat.com/r/24919373/detail.html - broken link)
Washington Local News | Woman registers her dog to vote; prosecutors growl | Seattle Times Newspaper

Old 08-31-2011, 11:36 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,423,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
The voter registration process in PA is a joke. The mail in form does not require proof of ID or proof of address. They don't even ask for the full SS number, only the last four digits. They send you a voter ID card to the address you provided and that's all you have to show to vote for the first time.

So, fake name, address of a vacant building nearby where you can pickup your new ID card and you're set to vote in the next election. Doesn't matter if you're a noncitizen, a convicted felon, a fugitive, or you're already registered to vote under you're real name. They require more info to get your DL or register your kid at the local public school, but not to elect the leaders of this country.
In Pennsylvania, your SS number and/or drivers license are matched against the SS and DMV databases. If there's no match, you should have received a letter in the mail to that effect questioning the info you supplied.

In addition, the counties have address databases, so you shouldn't be able to register at a vacant building. In fact, you're not even allowed to register at a commercial address.

Convicted felons are allowed to register to vote five years after their release from prison.

Are you saying that Lackawanna County allowed you to register with fake info? On the registration form, it tells you what the penalty is for providing false information: imprisonment up to 7 years, fine up to $15,000.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:44 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,423,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeAye Native View Post
I lived in Illinios for a while back in the 80s. PA and NEPA has nothing on how it works (worked?) there. Common conversation from back then, I kid you not:

Co worker: Yes, I voted in Jefferson County, and Joe Schmoe {local political party hack} gave me $10 gas money to go vote in Franklin County, where I used to live.
Co worker: That's how it works here. I'm a very loyal D {or R, depending on who you talk to}.

New laws have been put into place since the election of 2000. In Pennsylvania, the county databases are linked in such a way that when you register to vote, your name is checked against all other PA counties. If you're registered in another county, that registration will be canceled and the new one will be current.

When you go out to vote on election day, if your name isn't in the poll book, the poll workers will check with the local county election office. If they find no record of your registration, you may still be allowed to vote a provisional ballot, but there's no guarantee it will be counted.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:27 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,956,563 times
Quote:
that' what i thought too but when i called the private agency that wants the money--they said everyone gets them whether they are old,renters,have kids in school or not--so i called my local borough building and their secretary said she is paying one for herself,her husband and her youngest son that is away but using their home address--yet no one could tell me what or where this legal requirement can be found---not surprised---even tho the bill is labeled for wvw school taxes
I have to believe this is not a property tax. Tax bills go to the property owner.

If the person in the borough building is paying this tax for herself, spouse, and son, it must be an occupational tax. When I became 65, I took my bill to the taxing agency, along with proof of age, and I am no longer responsible to pay this annual bill. However, as a homeowner I am still responsible for paying the property tax (school tax, county tax, municipal tax) on my home.

Fortunately, there is tax relief for lower income seniors. This tax relief comes from the Commonwealth and is available for owners and renters.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:01 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,825,178 times
Quote:
Is it a school wage tax? Because part of all local wage taxes goes to the schools...in towns where there is a 1% tax rate, 0.5% goes to the town and 0.5% to the school district.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:55 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,088,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeAye Native View Post
Are you aware that PA has tax relief from property taxes (i.e., school taxes) for senior citizens? If you're unaware, I'd suggest you make a call to the local office of your state representative or state senator, their staff is typically pretty good at this sort of thing -- explaining how it works, getting the forms to you, helping you fill out the forms, following up on the submittal, etc. Make those slippery politicians earn their keep.

i was unaware and thank you so much for the suggestions and i will follow up on that

Old 09-01-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Is it a school wage tax? Because part of all local wage taxes goes to the schools...in towns where there is a 1% tax rate, 0.5% goes to the town and 0.5% to the school district.
it must be cause the wyoming valley west school district is listed on it--but i do not work--am retired and my daughter already pays a wage tax to work in wilkes barre and have a address there

the only wages i collect is my ss check

Old 09-01-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I have to believe this is not a property tax. Tax bills go to the property owner.

If the person in the borough building is paying this tax for herself, spouse, and son, it must be an occupational tax. When I became 65, I took my bill to the taxing agency, along with proof of age, and I am no longer responsible to pay this annual bill. However, as a homeowner I am still responsible for paying the property tax (school tax, county tax, municipal tax) on my home.

Fortunately, there is tax relief for lower income seniors. This tax relief comes from the Commonwealth and is available for owners and renters.
thanks for the info--am a senior and a renter and will contact my local representative
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania