Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 04:15 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,865 times

Advertisements

The voter registration process in PA is a joke. The mail in form does not require proof of ID or proof of address. They don't even ask for the full SS number, only the last four digits. They send you a voter ID card to the address you provided and that's all you have to show to vote for the first time.

So, fake name, address of a vacant building nearby where you can pickup your new ID card and you're set to vote in the next election. Doesn't matter if you're a noncitizen, a convicted felon, a fugitive, or you're already registered to vote under you're real name. They require more info to get your DL or register your kid at the local public school, but not to elect the leaders of this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 05:48 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
I tend to agree with you. Though if one does go through the DL centers to register (and many do) that information has already been verified. But if one just does the form (and many do that as well) then yes, the process definitely needs an overhaul. It's antiquated.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:53 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,956,563 times
There is a bill currently before the Pennsylvania Senate. The House has already approved it. It would require showing photo ID every time you vote.

The legislature passed a similar bill in '06, but Steady Eddie vetoed it.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:14 AM

889 posts, read 2,575,635 times
I'm not so sure it's that simple. There are stories of people who live in an area for years, never registered, then someone or something got them to register. And then a few months later tax bills for 'occupational privilege' tax, and other unique-to-PA, due-once-per-year tax assessments were sent out. That means they are checking something.

And, BTW, it may seem like the state does the registrations, but 'voter rolls' are administered by the counties.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:02 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,088,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeAye Native View Post
I'm not so sure it's that simple. There are stories of people who live in an area for years, never registered, then someone or something got them to register. And then a few months later tax bills for 'occupational privilege' tax, and other unique-to-PA, due-once-per-year tax assessments were sent out. That means they are checking something.

And, BTW, it may seem like the state does the registrations, but 'voter rolls' are administered by the counties.

that is so true---as soon as i registered i got hit with 2 school tax bills even though i rent and am a senior on ss

Old 08-28-2011, 03:47 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,781,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
The voter registration process in PA is a joke. The mail in form does not require proof of ID or proof of address. They don't even ask for the full SS number, only the last four digits. They send you a voter ID card to the address you provided and that's all you have to show to vote for the first time.

So, fake name, address of a vacant building nearby where you can pickup your new ID card and you're set to vote in the next election. Doesn't matter if you're a noncitizen, a convicted felon, a fugitive, or you're already registered to vote under you're real name. They require more info to get your DL or register your kid at the local public school, but not to elect the leaders of this country.
That's Pa for you

Old 08-28-2011, 07:14 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
that is so true---as soon as i registered i got hit with 2 school tax bills even though i rent and am a senior on ss
Obviously the school tax bills were a mistake.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:26 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,825,178 times
We're talking about a state where dead people routinely "vote." As they say, vote early and vote often....but in NEPA, only if you vote straight "D."

Old 08-31-2011, 10:51 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,852,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
We're talking about a state where dead people routinely "vote." As they say, vote early and vote often....but in NEPA, only if you vote straight "D."
Sounds like a few other places including Chicago, Illinois

(Not to defend the process...but it got my interest...) using only the last 4 digits to ID isn't that bad. They probably match them against the name of the applicant. This check is really not much different than the full SS number practically speaking, and arguably more secure since the submitter may be getting assistance and when using a paper application, easily lost or copied. We use full SS number TOO much, often for no reason but that it is 'on the form'.

In any case this is a secondary ID check, since if the applicant has a PA license they must supply that instead.

It isn't clear it will simply be returned if an address doesn't match the DL, SS or other 'official' records (taxes, etc) with no followup. It also states that the response won't be forwarded.

When voting for the first time, a mail applicant voter must provide an approved ID at the polling place. If they apply and also plan to vote via mail, they must submit approved ID with the application. It isn't clear how this is checked on, but it probably is.

http://www.longdistancevoter.org/fil...eg_english.pdf

What bothers me more is that politics have prevented many states from establishing a requirement to show a photo ID each time people vote. Given that, then maybe technicalities of the application process aren't as important?

Old 08-31-2011, 03:12 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,088,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Obviously the school tax bills were a mistake.

that' what i thought too but when i called the private agency that wants the money--they said everyone gets them whether they are old,renters,have kids in school or not--so i called my local borough building and their secretary said she is paying one for herself,her husband and her youngest son that is away but using their home address--yet no one could tell me what or where this legal requirement can be found---not surprised---even tho the bill is labeled for wvw school taxes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania