Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 06:41 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,409,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
No self respecting Mother with children spends anytime in the city of Reading. It is a pit! There is nothing but drug dealers and thugs.
That's simply not true. There are many self respecting mothers and good families in the city. Your comment is not only untrue, it's offensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hc7612 View Post
This is why I avoid Downtown Reading at all costs. But there is good to found around this area. We have lived here for 3 years and are now having to move. But it is not all bad. If you are given lemons....make lemonade. I am sure some will protest. But personally, if you can, avoid downtown Reading.

Heather
There is little to fear in the business areas of downtown Reading, even at night. There are a number of good restaurants, a performing arts theater, the sports arena downtown, the library which as a good children's program. Shopping downtown pretty much. If you aren't going into Reading to buy drugs, you're pretty safe.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killyforever View Post
To clarify above comments, Reading as a city-a NO-NO. The rest of Berks County is a great place.

Actually, West Reading is pretty nice, so that's not entirely true. Stay out of the inner city and you'll be fine. Things to do: Reading Royals (hockey) and Reading Phillies (baseball), shows at the Sovereign Center (major music acts, ice shows, etc.) there are lots of nice playgrounds, Gymboree if your kids are young enough, Reading Public Museum, Reading Fair, Berks County has library branches everywhere with all sorts of family activities. It's a short trip to Philly or Lancaster for activities there. I have lived in two different townships and get all over Berks County in my travels and I can't think of a spot that isn't convenient to a grocery store (usually Giant). You've got Berkshire Mall, Broadcasting Square (Target, Babies R Us, Dicks, Barnes and Noble)and the VF outlets. Nice little shops all along Penn Avenue. There is every franchise of restaurant that you could think of and many, many great independent restaurants.
1. West Reading is not a part of Reading. It is the borough located across the river from Reading.
2. You can't stay out of the inner city and attend the Reading Royals games or any of the other shows at the Sovereign Center. The Sovereign Center is smack in the middle of town.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:53 PM

889 posts, read 2,560,380 times
I saw the comment above about Cabela's (situated on Rt 61 and I-78 about 10 miles north of Reading). It's a distinction PA should not be proud of that this is the most visited tourist attraction in the entire state. At first I thought why would a mother want to take her kids there, but there are some very large and interesting fish tanks. There's also a lot of guns, camping, hunting, archery and camouflage gear. And lots of stuffed animals. You gotta know what you're getting into.

Hawk Mountain Sanctuary, about 20 minutes away from Cabela's would be entirely different, they have a don't shoot the raptors (or any other animals) philosophy, and many educational things that kids seem to like.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:58 PM

17 posts, read 65,635 times
Thumbs down Reading

Quote:
No self respecting Mother with children spends anytime in the city of Reading. It is a pit! There is nothing but drug dealers and thugs.
I disagree..Not all Reading has all drug dealers and thugs. Thats like me saying all NY has drug dealers and thugs when only referring to Spanish Harlem(an example).

Come on let's open up our minds a little.. Give credit to where credit is due!!!

Dee

Old 09-05-2010, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 958 times
Hi guys,
I am a married mother of one 4yr old boy. My husband and I are looking to relocate from nyc. I have been researching for the last 48 hrs about reading, pa. its how i happened upon this page. NE way, im hoping you guys could shed some light for me clearly.
Im not interested in the spots to have fun. Im more interested in the public school system & the pta? hows business? everyday living for a middle class family? apartment/home rental average pricing? support groups for women? community? I want a place that feels like home in the house and outside. where people are friendly. NYC is a melting pot as far as ethnic background is concerned... I dont care too much about that, my son is used to seeing all colors but I need to know some Personal Experiences from real people and not the readingpa.gov website, lol. PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE IF I SHOULD MOVE HERE. My family is scattered all over the US so that doesnt factor into our decision making either. My husband is not convinced about this city and im on the fence...i could go one way or another.

Signed,
Confused HomeMaker Mom

O, n btw we r ready to leave within the next 6 months. Looking to rent an apartment or small house-2 bed 2 bath, atleast.
THANKS ;-)

Old 09-07-2010, 02:12 PM

3,011 posts, read 6,280,871 times
Quote:
Quite the contrary. My wife and I had our rehersal dinner at the historic Abraham Lincoln Hotel and many of our friends and relatives stayed there. We had a wonderful time and some of my relatives visited the Goggle Arts and another local musuem.

We also had lunch at the Ugly oyster a few months earlier while looking for a place to host our wedding. Reading isn't perfect and definitely has it's share of problems. However it's not the hole that people, especially some of the locals paint it to be.

Last edited by Gil3; 09-07-2010 at 02:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania