Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 08:29 PM

173 posts, read 275,289 times

Advertisements

Any more ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 08:31 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,491,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by circa81 View Post
Any more ideas?
Well I mentioned New York.

But there is also Vermont and New Hampshire.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:38 PM

889 posts, read 2,561,644 times
Parts of West Virginia have similar topography to western PA. Northern Michigan has some similar terrain also. I'll go with parts of NY state as others have mentioned. But not the Adirondacks, they are way too big and rugged to be a match. The terrain near what NY-ers call the Tug Hill Plateau is sort of similar, but that area is famous for the huge snowfalls it gets in winter.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeAye Native View Post
Parts of West Virginia have similar topography to western PA. Northern Michigan has some similar terrain also. I'll go with parts of NY state as others have mentioned. But not the Adirondacks, they are way too big and rugged to be a match. The terrain near what NY-ers call the Tug Hill Plateau is sort of similar, but that area is famous for the huge snowfalls it gets in winter.
The southern tier and adjacent counties in New York are literally the same as Pennsylvania. From the low rollers around the central/northern finger lakes to the high hills and mountains on either side and to the south. (Just wanted to add that)

The Adirondacks and New England mountains are a lot more rugged though. You are right about that. But they certainly offer less hot summers! XD

The Tug hill area is mostly low rolling hills.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:35 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,720,664 times
The Driftless Area of SW WI, NE IA, SE MN, and far far NW IL (Galena). Includes major metros such as Dubuque and La Crosse, although kind of in between Chicago and Minneapolis. Dubuque actually has an inclined plane to a higher neighborhood like Pittsburgh and Johnstown do.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:01 AM

102 posts, read 305,634 times
There are parts of western Virginia that are FILLED with trees and beautiful rolling mountains, but I have NO idea where those people would work, LOL. And humidity would be a factor, I am sure.

And just to relate to you about the weather-- I lived in PA for 31 years, and we left because of the hot, humid summers. It was just horrendous for my husband's health. We are in southern Utah now, and I can tell you that while 100 degrees is hot no matter where you are, 90 degree heat with humidity is WAY worse than 100 degree heat with little to no humidity.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:10 PM

969 posts, read 2,060,387 times
I certainly don't consider PA to be hot and humid, at least the northern part. It does get occasional very high humidity and/or high temps (labor day weekend was insanely muggy), but I find the typical summer day to be very comfortable.

Most of PA's topo is allegheny plateau. The Catskills area in NY is also part of this same plateau so it looks similar but with higher elevations. Maybe paradise exists in the higher elevations of the Catskills.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
I certainly don't consider PA to be hot and humid, at least the northern part. It does get occasional very high humidity and/or high temps (labor day weekend was insanely muggy), but I find the typical summer day to be very comfortable.

Most of PA's topo is allegheny plateau. The Catskills area in NY is also part of this same plateau so it looks similar but with higher elevations. Maybe paradise exists in the higher elevations of the Catskills.
Actually the Catskills and most of New York to west of that is all Allegheny as well.

Let's not forget the rest of the southern tier and neighboring counties.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:54 AM

24,348 posts, read 22,903,146 times
Pa topography varies widely and can be different even in areas in the same location. Lancaster is largely flat but has some low wooded rolling hills and ridges and some might even classify as( really) low mountains around New Holland or Adamstown or Honeybrook. You have some great mountains and valleys in the center of the state, rolling hills to the east just north of the coal regions( mountainous) and more rolling hills in the southeast again with some low mountains( SE Berks/ Northwest Chester). In the NW corner its more flat still with some low rolling hills and lots of fields, lakes and swamps. The SW corner is mountainous. The Northeast is mountainous but has areas of rolling hills.
I've never really considered Pa as hot or humid, at least not compared to any of the areas to the south. I've been told on its worst days,its really bad days( not often), its like it is in Texas or Georgia. usually its pretty bareable. I think our weather is probably the best balance of cold and hot warm and cool. We have distinct seasons and we're not prone to extremes. Right now its beautiful in Pa and will be for another month before it really starts getting cool. New England is already there.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:07 PM

9 posts, read 18,053 times
Smile PA Topography

I think Oregon is close to the same latitude...but you can always go to the shore either way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania