U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 09:22 AM

681 posts, read 2,794,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsgjdennis View Post
I'm afraid that drugs and crime have spread everywhere. The gang thing in DuBois in my opnion is overblown but the drug thing is not it is very bad!

A lot of small town politics go on there. Its a strange area, I met some of the best and some of the worst people I've ever come across in my life. I've seen this in other areas that are cut off from the rest of the world it seams like DuBois suffers from a big fish/litle pond syndrome. You have some people that would be best considered middle class outside of the area acting like kings and queens and there bratty children terrorising the place and you have the rest of the population encouriging them and bending over backwords to please them. All the Mom and Pop stores in town pay there people minimum wage so they can drive brand new BMWs and live in a half million dollar houses this is why the area is so depressed.

Fortunetly not everyone in town is like this and there are many great people but they definetly have a strange view of the world their.
Dennis, the boldfaced quote from your post is an example of capitalism at work. If the store owners can find people to do an adequate job for minimum wage, there is no reason why the store owners should pay more. In the words of Lionel Barrymore from "It's A Wonderful Life": "Are you running a business or a charity ward?" In the end, if good workers can be found for minimum wage, paying more than minimum wage is an example of nothing other than generosity. Business owners are not required to be generous. If their employees want more than minimum wage, they shouldn't agree to work for minimum wage... because, if the store owners could not find any employees willing to work for minimum wage, they'd have to raise their wage offerings. If there are no other well-paying jobs, such that the workers must either take the minimum-wage jobs or starve (or leech off of the government), then the workers are screwed. They can move elsewhere.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 08:01 PM

35 posts, read 156,522 times
I live in Brookville, pa. Love it. it is very quit. My neighborhood know everyone but don't bother you unless you want it. You can walk all over Brookville at night and not have to worry about it.
I work in Dubois, pa. There is more item to do there. I like the night life there. It has a branch of Penn State.
I own investment property in Punxsy, pa. They have a branch of Indiana University and the Culinary School. There is not much to do there. But the have the night life too.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:00 AM

35 posts, read 156,522 times
I live in Brookville, work in dubois, and have a unit in puxsy.
They all have there ups and downs.
In brookville we look out for each other. We just got rid of and drug home on our street. They lasted 3month because the neighbors brought them down. The cops worked with us on the safety of our area. We have a nice DARE program in school that helps out too.
Dubois has its up and downs. But I like it they have things to do shopping. The home prices are holding their own. They have Penn State Collage.
Punxsy I think it is growing. They have the IUP Collage. They are working on a building that is down town punxy. They have the Culinary Arts School there too. They are developing the land just out side of there for housing. So I see it up and coming community.

Old 10-04-2008, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 6,968 times
Question Relatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by tab755 View Post
I live in Brookville, pa. Love it. it is very quit. My neighborhood know everyone but don't bother you unless you want it. You can walk all over Brookville at night and not have to worry about it.
I work in Dubois, pa. There is more item to do there. I like the night life there. It has a branch of Penn State.
I own investment property in Punxsy, pa. They have a branch of Indiana University and the Culinary School. There is not much to do there. But the have the night life too.
I am heading towards Brookville next month, Nov...Thanksgiving week. Am looking for relatives...genealogy study...last name Lyle... Jeffery E. Do you know him or any of the Lyle clan...father Edwin A. (dec)
Thanks... Sharon

Old 10-04-2008, 03:57 PM

73 posts, read 330,496 times
Default Lyle

I know there are some Lyles in Reynoldville, some related to Sparky Lyle, pro baseball player. Go to whitepages.com to get addresses and phone numbers of those who are listed. Good luck with your search!
I don't know what area you are coming from, but the DuBois/Brookville/Clarion area of PA is absolutely gorgeous this time of year with the leaves changing. Try to take a side trip to the Benezette area to see the elk herd. They will be rutting and bugling soon. An amazing thing to see and hear. Check out the Pennsylvania Wilds website, pawilds.com.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:20 PM

41,527 posts, read 54,102,989 times
Don't know where you're from but all three towns are the archetype "small town". In all three towns, Brookville especially, life revolves around high school sports and other activities. Brookville historically has had a good school system, Punxsy and DuBois not so much. If you are from a more urban/cultural area you are in for a culture shock. Don't tell people how much you miss your old life or the shopping or the museums, some younger folks may agree with you (which happens everywhere) but many of the older ones won't and will make you regret saying anything. Downsides: area has never really recovered from the recession in the early 80's when the factories, mines and railroads started to close. Brookville business owners have a history of keeping out new businesses that might compete with them (in the last few years Cabela's wanted to build a superstore, Wal-Mart wanted to build a warehouse/transfer point and Budweiser wanted to build a brewery at the Hazen exit of I-80 (old Exit 14) )and all three dropped their plans because of business and governmental opposition. A note about bars: most small western PA towns have as many bars as churches.
My bona fides: born in Smethport, grew up in Brookville, graduated from Clarion Univ., taught in DuBois.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:35 AM

2,781 posts, read 6,936,793 times
My best friend's ex-gf moved to DuBois, and we drove there to help her move some stuff, and I can safely say it was the worst place I've been to in my entire life. I'd rather be banished to hell.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:06 AM

3,133 posts, read 8,988,846 times
I stopped in DuBois last year for directions. Pulled into a fast food place and asked a teenager. He took me inside to a map on the wall. Showed me where I was, where I was going and told me how long it would take. Very polite. Good first impression.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:12 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,790,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I stopped in Dubois a few times and liked the strip malls and restaurant area at least. After seeing nothing along route 80 for miles it was nice to see some commercial areas. Punxy was another story. I stopped twice since I was a big fan of the movie Groundhog's day and have liked the holiday for years since I was a kid. The town is a backwater, not a big mill town and not a true coal town and not a farming town and not a mountain town. Just bars. What irked me most was trying to drive through it and find places, the town does NOTHING to help visitors find anything. If not for Phil( who they don't even treat well) the town would be best forgeotten.
Ditto.....although I like the hospital

Old 11-11-2008, 12:32 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,546,544 times
I grew up in Brookville, and it is your typical small PA town. Population doesn't change, as the same number of people move away each year (and few move in). The only decent paying jobs are the doctors, lawyers, senior teachers, and a few of the more senior foreman at the factories that work alot of OT.

Shopping sucks, but does improve if you go to Clarion or Dubois. Pittsburgh is ~1.5 hours away, which makes for easy weekend roadtrips. The people are nice, but the everyone knows everyone thing can get on your nerves.

Hunting, fishing, school activities, and ATV's dominate the local "things to do" list.

Good place to raise children, and good schools - but good luck finding a job that pays more than $13 an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania