Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 09:07 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpiwanttomove View Post
LIving in NY means living there with my mom and ya know what.. I haven't moved around on my own a lot and I want to try new states. PA is my next stop for sure, and if it doesn't work out, i'll just throw a dart at a map of the US and that's my next stop.
don't do it!!! there are better states to live in....and i can think of about 49 others
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 05:53 PM

30 posts, read 49,740 times
if i could live on a remote island in hawaii, i would, but i can't.. lol

Old 09-23-2011, 06:45 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
Quote:
LIving in NY means living there with my mom and ya know what.. I haven't moved around on my own a lot and I want to try new states. PA is my next stop for sure, and if it doesn't work out, i'll just throw a dart at a map of the US and that's my next stop.
You could also try living in the other NY - like Albany, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:42 AM

65 posts, read 123,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
I would maybe start looking at the state's three biggest metros -- Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Harrisburg / York / Lancaster
Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA-NJ MSA is the third

Scranton–Wilkes-Barre, PA MSA is the fourth largest metro, Harrisburg-Carlisle, PA MSA is the fifth. If you include New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA MSA and Youngstown-Warren-Boardman, OH-PA MSA then its all different.

I would look into Pittsburgh PA, medium to large city with still a low cost of living.

Many nice places in and round Rochester NY depending on what exactly you are looking for, but a nice medium sized city with lower cost of living.

Last edited by mattejb; 09-25-2011 at 07:54 AM..

Old 09-25-2011, 10:59 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,078,003 times
Hello "helpiwanttomove"

Would you be interested in an opinion from one of those apparently "too conservative, two faced, unsophisticated Pennsylvanians?

It sounds to me like Pennsylvania may be a good fit for you with your lifestyle. I live in eastern PA. I'm older but also like the quiet lifestyle and yet I have no problem finding things to do if I feel like socializing. I think you have the right attitude which will go a long way in finding the right place for you.

I get so tired of the posts bashing PA and the people that live here. There are plenty of people who have moved here from other states and enjoy it. Unfortunately, you don't see too many of them posting. Probably because they are too busy enjoying all that Pennsylvania has to offer!

Good luck with your move.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:43 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,922,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattejb View Post
URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scranton%E2%80%93Wilkes-Barre,_PA_MSA"]Scranton–Wilkes-Barre, PA MSA[/url] is the fourth largest metro
You're technically correct.

However.

When locals talk about Harrisburg and the surrounding metro areas, it's usually Harrisburg, York, and Lancaster. Much of this has to do with the local TV coverage, which tends to combine the three together for one single advertising market. As a result, there's a lot of cultural, economic, and governmental crosstalk between the three cities.

Carlisle is often included. For that matter, so is Lebanon. York & Lancaster are rarely excluded. It's a case of the statistics not quite lining up with reality.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:08 PM

30 posts, read 49,740 times
Looks like I'll be moving a lot sooner than I thought.. Anyone know of a good website (not craigslist) that will help me look for apartments? Or an agent.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:54 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,922,748 times
Quote:
Looks like I'll be moving a lot sooner than I thought.. Anyone know of a good website (not craigslist) that will help me look for apartments? Or an agent.
apartments.com

move.com

realtor.com

Also try posting in the subforum for the area you're planning on moving to. I'm sure some of the locals will be happy to give recommendations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania