U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 08:11 PM

21 posts, read 59,569 times

Advertisements

I am looking for anyone that can agree that this state has a lot of rude people I live in a town and they don't like outsiders So if anyone out there can relate let me know
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 08:17 PM

31,629 posts, read 71,977,674 times
I'm sorry to hear that you're having such an awful time here in PA. May I inquire as to what community you live in? I've found most people in Northeastern Pennsylvania to be very friendly and courteous, but I encountered a lot of nasty, rude people in Stroudsburg.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:53 PM

1,563 posts, read 4,083,638 times
Generally it depends on the situation. If you use PA to escape taxes, yeah probably. If you try to act/dress like your from "the 'hood" and you live in a town of 15,000, yeah probably. If you are a tourist asking questions such as why so many people died in gettysburg if there were monuments to hide behind (I've had friends asked this by tourists), yeah probably.

If your just doing your own thing and don't infringe on other people and are courteous, then you'll be fine.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:06 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,643,090 times
Exclamation Rudeness in PA

I was born & raised in Pgh, it was ok till I got older in my 30's, I moved to the Northwest for 15 yrs, came back to the Middle of the state.

The rural people are very nice, happy to help, and always a hello.

but the large cities like Pgh, suburbs etc, yes they are rude, there may be a handful,of nice ones,but I guess having lived here most of my life I was used to the rudeness.

Then after moving and finding a nicer set of folks, then back again to the Middle of the state it is fine, but ride down to Pittsburgh, you get road rage, mean clerks, everyone is in a hurry, have to hold on to my purse tighter than ususal, soon as I get on an expressway boom have to go 60-65 or more, makes me sick. Did they ever fix Route 8?

Also they come here to rural PA for a visit and expect that we be like them, we don't care about the Jones's here, alot of rural people have some land like 2 or more acres, so when company comes to visit they expect you to drop what you had planned, like clearing brush, painting the house, mowing etc, etc. never do they ask if they can help with anything. We are rural because we like it, people are friendly, neighbors are kind.

Its not like we have a small lot in the city that can be mowed in 20 minutes. They act like they know all about the country, but try and see em get out of snow, or start their car or any simple thing, forget it, they say why hire someone., well I think I'd like to save some money and not get into debt, and I get looked at like I'm nuts.

Oh i know plenty of friends in Pgh, who are perfectly nice and would help anyone.

This probably belongs in another post, but yes they are rude and I have no intention of ever visiting Pittsburgh again. They ruined the old market house on the Northside, they ruined the Northside with a stupid mall that lasted maybe 10 yrs then went to the dumps, now I think its an office bldg.

They ruined Perryville & Charles Sts., I'm not talking about the people either, the politicans. Why cities and towns cannot leave things alone I'll never know. Progress? This happens in any state.

Oh to the city people, we know you like it here, please keep your comments about rural life to yourself, and take your beer cans home and don't dump them on our roads.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:01 AM

726 posts, read 1,122,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post
I was born & raised in Pgh, it was ok till I got older in my 30's, I moved to the Northwest for 15 yrs, came back to the Middle of the state.

The rural people are very nice, happy to help, and always a hello.

but the large cities like Pgh, suburbs etc, yes they are rude, there may be a handful,of nice ones,but I guess having lived here most of my life I was used to the rudeness.

Then after moving and finding a nicer set of folks, then back again to the Middle of the state it is fine, but ride down to Pittsburgh, you get road rage, mean clerks, everyone is in a hurry, have to hold on to my purse tighter than ususal, soon as I get on an expressway boom have to go 60-65 or more, makes me sick. Did they ever fix Route 8?

Also they come here to rural PA for a visit and expect that we be like them, we don't care about the Jones's here, alot of rural people have some land like 2 or more acres, so when company comes to visit they expect you to drop what you had planned, like clearing brush, painting the house, mowing etc, etc. never do they ask if they can help with anything. We are rural because we like it, people are friendly, neighbors are kind.

Its not like we have a small lot in the city that can be mowed in 20 minutes. They act like they know all about the country, but try and see em get out of snow, or start their car or any simple thing, forget it, they say why hire someone., well I think I'd like to save some money and not get into debt, and I get looked at like I'm nuts.

Oh i know plenty of friends in Pgh, who are perfectly nice and would help anyone.

This probably belongs in another post, but yes they are rude and I have no intention of ever visiting Pittsburgh again. They ruined the old market house on the Northside, they ruined the Northside with a stupid mall that lasted maybe 10 yrs then went to the dumps, now I think its an office bldg.

They ruined Perryville & Charles Sts., I'm not talking about the people either, the politicans. Why cities and towns cannot leave things alone I'll never know. Progress? This happens in any state.

Oh to the city people, we know you like it here, please keep your comments about rural life to yourself, and take your beer cans home and don't dump them on our roads.

I have seen these same things on my return to my home state after 20 years of living in the southwest & Alaska.
It is difficult for a native to see it unless they have lived elsewhere. It's all over the state not just where you are.
Presently I live near Carlisle, the people here are the friendliest I've encountered in the state. I find the West Shore of Hbg nicer then the East Shore.

When I first moved back I lived in Harrisburg's mid-town historical section. I didn't like how people seemed to be taking an inventory of your property as they walked by. If it wasn't tied down or locked away it was stolen.

Oh well, theres no perfect place. No matter where you go there you are.

Foodmuse

Old 08-22-2007, 06:43 AM

13,008 posts, read 30,726,841 times
I have lived in four different states and have found the people to be the friendliest here in PA. Part of that though, is that we didn't have kids before we moved here. So, the people that I spent most time interacting with were neighbors and other Mom's with children. Now that my kids are mostly adults, maybe I'm just friendlier.

I too don't like to go back to my hometown in Delaware and see all the changes but that doesn't make me dislike the people there. Things change, some things are saved and restored and some things are torn down and rebuilt anew. Supposedly, that's progress. People complain when roads are congested so they build extra lanes, next thing you know more people move to the area because it's easier to get there and then people complain about all the new people.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:07 AM

I live in corry and they are very rude and like to spread hatefull rumors

Old 08-22-2007, 08:09 AM

I came to Pa to try to have a better and safer life for my sons I barely talk to people in corry and still they are rude

Old 08-22-2007, 06:47 PM

726 posts, read 1,122,024 times
Cajun Rose,
It is sad to hear you don't feel welcome in Corry.

I have never been to that part of the state. Although, as I stated before I have been the one on the "outside" here as well.
People, especially women, can be so mean in passive aggressive ways. No reason for it, just because they can.

Life isn't a walk in the park and sometimes all it takes is a smile to turn your day around.

Don't let them get you down. What they say isn't going to change who you are. The Sun shines just as brightly on your face as the next persons.

Foodmuse

Old 08-23-2007, 05:42 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,059,476 times
I have lived in PA for 5 years now (two different areas, an moving to a third this fall), and although I will agree that it's easier to make friends with other transplants, I don't find the PA natives rude or unfriendly.

Frankly, I think it's like anywhere you might relocate to - you have to make the effort and put yourself out there.

I have lived in 4 different states (NY, CT, VT & PA) and folks in PA rank pretty well in terms of friendliness. However, you might want to stay clear of CT - now that's a place where the natives are NOT welcoming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania