U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2006, 06:31 PM

4 posts, read 33,008 times

Advertisements

Does anybody live in PA that commutes to DC?

I'm considering Lake Heritage, PA.

How long to Rockville, MD from the closest PA neighborhoods?

Do you drive to Frederick and then take the train?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively

Old 09-10-2006, 01:51 PM

5 posts, read 36,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobiku View Post
Does anybody live in PA that commutes to DC?

I'm considering Lake Heritage, PA.

How long to Rockville, MD from the closest PA neighborhoods?

Do you drive to Frederick and then take the train?

Thanks!
HI I AM ALSO LOOKING TO MOVE TO YORK, PA AND COMMUTE TO DC TO WORK. SHOULD YOU GET A RESPONSE PLEASE ADVISE. MAYBE WE CAN CAR POOL.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:06 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,025,646 times
I don't commute from Pennsylvania to DC but I do live in the DC area and my mother lives in Harrisburg.

Anyways, yikes! I guess it goes without saying that it's going to be a really rough commute, and you all are aware of that. There are a small but increasing number of DC commuters choosing to settle in Pennsylvania where they prefer the lower cost of living and more rural lifestyle. There's been talk of extending the MARC train or of constructing some other train line to connect this portion of Pennsylvania to the DC area but that's just a pipe dream and knowing how long it takes for transport issues to be resolved in this area, won't come to fruition for at least 15 years, if ever. Most people commuting to and from the Gettysburg area tend to drive to Frederick (30 miles) and then take the MARC train to DC or elsewhere. From Lake Heritage to Rockville, such a commute will take at least an hour and a half. To go all the way into DC, add another half hour onto the commute. Unfortunately, driving all the way in may take even longer. Traffic generally doesn't clog up on I-15 heading south towards Frederick, at least not from my perspective, but once you're in around Frederick, it starts really picking up.

Old 09-15-2006, 11:06 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,158,991 times
It takes an hour and a half from Gettysburg to Dulles airport if that gives any information.

Lake Heritage is an OK community, although I'm not really fond of it on a more personal basis. There is a development going up about 2 minutes from the Route 15/394 interchange if looking to move in a year or so. The only tourists you would have to interact with would only be there for 3 days a year.

Closer to 15, and not dependent on route 30 for driving, the better for commuting.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:40 PM

1 posts, read 16,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
It takes an hour and a half from Gettysburg to Dulles airport if that gives any information.

Lake Heritage is an OK community, although I'm not really fond of it on a more personal basis. There is a development going up about 2 minutes from the Route 15/394 interchange if looking to move in a year or so. The only tourists you would have to interact with would only be there for 3 days a year.

Closer to 15, and not dependent on route 30 for driving, the better for commuting.
I live in Lake Heritage and we have to tolerate tourists all year long. It's worst over the anniversary event in July, but the city is full of tourists all summer long. It's also a mad house again in mid November for Remembrance Day.

Commuting to DC from the Gettysburg area is really not an option. It's a good hour and 40 minute drive into some of the worst traffic in the country. One of the reasons it's less expensive to live here is because commuting is not an option unless you want to spend about 3 hours a day on the road. Other than being a tourist town Gettysburg and Adams county are rather rural with the other big industry being the growing of apples.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:53 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,158,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedweller View Post
I live in Lake Heritage and we have to tolerate tourists all year long. It's worst over the anniversary event in July, but the city is full of tourists all summer long. It's also a mad house again in mid November for Remembrance Day.

Commuting to DC from the Gettysburg area is really not an option. It's a good hour and 40 minute drive into some of the worst traffic in the country. One of the reasons it's less expensive to live here is because commuting is not an option unless you want to spend about 3 hours a day on the road. Other than being a tourist town Gettysburg and Adams county are rather rural with the other big industry being the growing of apples.
Yeah, I know all about the tourists, I live within cannon sound range of the reenactment field. If you take the shady grove metro (I believe my dad, who commuted to DC for around 15 years, said something to the effect of having to get there by 5 am to garuntee a parking spot) it's not too bad of a commute, but Frederick is pretty bad. There are people that do that commute from gettysburg, unfortunately, since they take up farm land for the sole purpose of avoiding takes.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:34 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,444,714 times
I can get from Harrisburg to Northern VA in an hour and 30 minutes. Granted it was a Saturday and I'm a speeder, but it can be done. About ten years ago my father commuted from this area to work in DC....he also had an apartment down there, most of the time he stayed there during the week and only came home on the weekends. But a lot of people just drive it now. You'd be surprised how many people are telecommuting from the Harrisburg area now...cheap housing and good place to raise a family, they only visit their office a few times a week.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:02 AM

13,172 posts, read 31,870,826 times
This thread has been closed. It was started in 2006 and the only new posts it's gotten are people soliciting car-poolers, and that was over a year ago. I would suggest looking for a car pool here: http://www.rideshare-directory.com/

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania