U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 12:26 PM

7 posts, read 21,336 times

Advertisements

Hello, my husband and I have lived in southern california all are lives, and would love a change, and would like some information on Pennsylvania. We would like some information on some nice and not runned down, gorgeous area's and affordable area's to, with good school districts. We have two beutiful daughters that are 10 and 6 years of age. My husband and I would like to no about area's that are close to pittsburgh because we are big time football fans and love the pittsburgh steelers. We have been looking at mount washington, and bethel city does any one no how those places are. And of course how is the weather there. if anyone could help us that would be great thanks...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 12:32 PM

31,931 posts, read 73,617,703 times
You might also want to try posting this same reply in the Pittsburgh forum, where you might get more help. Most who lurk on the main PA forum tend to hail from Harrisburg, the Lehigh Valley, or Scranton/Wilkes-Barre with most in Western PA not participating.

With that being said, I've heard nothing but great things about the Shadyside area of Pittsburgh, on the city's East End. It is a relatively-upscale part of the city with a lot of historic homes, tree-lined streets, and a lively downtown area with cute stores. The yards there won't be very large (if you wanted room for your daughters to play), and the Pittsburgh School District has an awful reputation (although I'm sure Shadyside children attend nearby private schools).

The most popular area for new transplants seems to be Cranberry Township, to the north of the city, or Moon Township, near to the Pittsburgh International Airport. Both of these communities are suburban in nature with great schools, chain stores, and tract-housing galore with larger yards. The trade-off will be that you will need to drive further into the city as opposed to living in a historic neighborhood such as Shadyside, where you can walk to many conveniences.

Good luck, and welcome in advance to PA! I'm primarily only an expert on the state's Northeastern corner, which is becoming commuter territory for new transplants from New York City and New Jersey, so feel free to ask me if your scope for relocation expands to other parts of the state.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:25 PM

251 posts, read 1,271,837 times
Wow, I just did the exact reverse...moved from PA to SOCAL! I have lived all over PA and if you ask me, Punxsutawney. They have a great school system (though a bit of trouble recently with strikes), but I have been very pleased overall. Punxy is close enough to Pittsburgh for going to games. Not much in the way of jobs though....but very nice, very scenic, very laidback and very friendly.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:06 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,144,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogal View Post
Wow, I just did the exact reverse...moved from PA to SOCAL! I have lived all over PA and if you ask me, Punxsutawney. They have a great school system (though a bit of trouble recently with strikes), but I have been very pleased overall. Punxy is close enough to Pittsburgh for going to games. Not much in the way of jobs though....but very nice, very scenic, very laidback and very friendly.
The pennsylvania polka... (Groundhog day...)

Old 08-22-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Robert and Devina Sharp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
You might also want to try posting this same reply in the Pittsburgh forum, where you might get more help. Most who lurk on the main PA forum tend to hail from Harrisburg, the Lehigh Valley, or Scranton/Wilkes-Barre with most in Western PA not participating.

With that being said, I've heard nothing but great things about the Shadyside area of Pittsburgh, on the city's East End. It is a relatively-upscale part of the city with a lot of historic homes, tree-lined streets, and a lively downtown area with cute stores. The yards there won't be very large (if you wanted room for your daughters to play), and the Pittsburgh School District has an awful reputation (although I'm sure Shadyside children attend nearby private schools).

The most popular area for new transplants seems to be Cranberry Township, to the north of the city, or Moon Township, near to the Pittsburgh International Airport. Both of these communities are suburban in nature with great schools, chain stores, and tract-housing galore with larger yards. The trade-off will be that you will need to drive further into the city as opposed to living in a historic neighborhood such as Shadyside, where you can walk to many conveniences.

Good luck, and welcome in advance to PA! I'm primarily only an expert on the state's Northeastern corner, which is becoming commuter territory for new transplants from New York City and New Jersey, so feel free to ask me if your scope for relocation expands to other parts of the state.
Thank u very much and I will do that...

Old 08-22-2007, 04:54 PM

Default Robert and Devina Sharp

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogal View Post
So how do you like socal, so do you think it is way different then PA. well thank you very much, I will check it out.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:32 AM

251 posts, read 1,271,837 times
I totally love it here!!! I moved to Canoga Park in SFV and just love the area! Getting used to dealing with so much sunshine has been an enjoyable task ;-)

Differences....well I haven't been here long enough to tell...you have to drive long distances to do anything in either place....people are not as in your face friendly as in PA (excluding South-Eastern PA), but they are friendly once you get them talking, or if you just ask. It's definitely even more laid back...though I spent a good bit of time in Australia so I was prepared for this. I love all the variety and my god a BOX of mangoes for 3.00!!!

I am sure I will miss the change of seasons though. Check out Punxy though...great place to raise kids.

Old 09-23-2007, 03:35 PM

9 posts, read 37,805 times
Check out DuBois.. its like a small version of a big city.. its the only city in Clearfield County.. there are good neighborhoods and ones you absolutely want to stay away from haha.. maybe Treasure Lake, Coke Hill/ Monument Hill area near Penn State DuBois, Sylvan Heights.. theyre all nice areas.. and stay away from most areas near downtown or the southside.. there are a lot of new housing developments in DuBois too.. if you want a new house.. look in McCracken Run Road, near DuBois Central Christian (private school "DCC"), near DRMC West, Treasure Lake, Sylvan Heights, around DRMC East, and there are many more neighborhoods that are new and growing...
but the schools are good, crime is bad but only in certain areas, there is a mall, many plazas/ strip malls, there are 3 private schools that i can think of, the public schools are pretty big though... There are 2 hospitals and a lot of other smaller hospital buildings, and they are in the top in the country, the DuBois fire department is one of the best in the country, theres a lot to do unless you decide you just dont want to do it, sports are a huge thing in DuBois, traffic is terrible in the day though,
theres more good/ bad things but im gonna stop there.. its not the most amazing place but its definately a lot better in those ways than the other towns around..
Punxsy is only 30 mins away but everyone from Saint Marys, Clearfield, Punxsy, Brookville, and all the other towns around come to DuBois anyways.. and what you cant find in DuBois, well.., State College is only an hour away and Altoona is an hour and a half and it has almost everything

Last edited by 15801; 09-23-2007 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: error

Old 09-23-2007, 07:17 PM

90,346 posts, read 114,902,608 times
Do you guys have jobs? The job situation in most of Pennsylvania, certainly in most of the areas mentioned here plus Pittsburgh, is tight, to say the least.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:24 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,144,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Do you guys have jobs? The job situation in most of Pennsylvania, certainly in most of the areas mentioned here plus Pittsburgh, is tight, to say the least.
South central is tight. I recall from radio advertisements, lancaster unemployment is around 2-3%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania