U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2011, 01:08 PM

8 posts, read 105,004 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am 20 years old, and have always kept my car up to date (legally, inspection, registration, etc). I usually receive a paper in the mail for my registration when it is close to expiring, to receive a new one. I usually end up doing it online though, but this is a crucial reminder.

Anyways, I got pulled over and fined 115 dollars for an expired registration sticker and the police officer told me to get it renewed and go to the local magistrate to see if there is anything that could be done about the ticket and he explained that the the truck could be towed if I don't get it renewed. 20 minutes later, I paid for a new registration online, and printed a receipt until I receive the new sticker in the mail.

I went to the magistrate with my receipt and ticket and explained that the officer who issued the ticket told me to see if he could do anything for me. He refused to dismiss the ticket but his secretary told me to plead not guilty so I could speak with the officer and that the officer may or may not dismiss it or lower the fine. So I did what she advised and I have a date in court for November 7th at 2:45pm.

Do I have a chance at all of getting it dismissed or lowered? I was driving it with expired tags, I just didn't realize it since we had not received the papers to renew them yet. (They also used to make the registration and inspection sticker dates match, but they changed it, and I had my car parked because I couldn't get it fixed and now the dates are different. If that makes sense)

I am a college student, don't have a lot of money, but I did intend to renew the registration, just hadn't realized that it had expired until I got pulled over. I even handed him an expired registration form, not even realizing it until he pointed out that it had expired September 30th, and it was October 20th.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 02:37 PM

3,133 posts, read 9,207,186 times
You hung yourself when you handed the cop the expired form. Why didn't you take care of it on time?

Old 10-22-2011, 04:06 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,860,939 times
Yeah, it's kind of hard to not take blame for an expired registration. It's on a reflective sticker on the back of your car for the whole world -- including you -- to see. Sooner or later we all forget, and we get that nice wallet-eating fine to help us remember next time.

By all means, ask the DJ about reducing or waiving the fine. It certainly won't hurt anything. Even if you don't get it reduced, you can probably break it down into a dozen $20 monthly payments.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:24 AM

41,816 posts, read 49,906,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallja View Post
Anyways, I got pulled over and fined 115 dollars for an expired registration sticker and the police officer told me to get it renewed and go to the local magistrate to see if there is anything that could be done about the ticket and he explained that the the truck could be towed if I don't get it renewed. 20 minutes later, I paid for a new registration online, and printed a receipt until I receive the new sticker in the mail.
He wants you to plead not guilty so he can get the court time and a make some extra bucks. He will probably give you a break as the secretary suggested since he got some extra cash in his pocket. They aren't going to come right out and tell you that for obvious reasons. A lot of officers will suggest you plead not guilty and they might be able "work with you on it".

Old 10-24-2011, 05:52 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,821,135 times
I've had some pretty hefty (in excess of 30mph over) speeding tickets lowered to 5-overs or parking tickets by getting my day in court and being friendly with the officer/judge. Had a few future encounters with the same cop as one of my bigger tickets that got me off with a laugh and a warning to knock it off because he was tired of seeing me.

So take your not guilty plea and see how it goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania