Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2011, 09:39 AM

885 posts, read 1,521,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Of course I completely understand how hard it might be to bring your friends and colleagues to justice, particularly when the stakes are so high (meaning when the alleged crime is great, so perhaps will be the associated legal and social consequences for the person you know).

Which is precisely why society needs very clear expectations for people in such a position: they must overcome their understandable feelings of loyalty and affection and do the right thing.
The 'stakes' in this case were also the blossoming careers of the staff and the players; in environments like this it's a very difficult set of pressures.

I ADMIRE Joe Paterno for his PROMPT and DIRECT retirement and statement.

More than anything, the end of this situation is worth the cost.

Paterno's legacy as a great coach and a decent man will live on, I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 09:54 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
There is no doubt that he should have made the morally correct decision to notify the authorites after he discoved the alleged sex abuse accusations. It would have been an enormous burden to turn his friend and assistant in------it should have been done, but we need to put ourselves in his shoes and would we have been able to turn in a valued friend and co worker to the police???
I would - in a heartbeat. Would you be able to? Would you take a stand to protect a child/children who cannot protect themselves?

The burden he carries now is much, much heavier.

It breaks my heart that no one helped these children. Even the two people who witnessed him actually abusing boys - did nothing. Sure they reported it to their supervisors - but really, they did nothing to help stop the abuse. To witness something like that and not take it to the authorities after getting unsatisfactory response from the university. How they can (could in regards to the then janitor who now has dementia) live with themselves is beyond me - it cannot be justified.

Last edited by HokieFan; 11-09-2011 at 10:04 AM..

Old 11-09-2011, 10:43 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
does anyone take into consideration how it was reported to Mr Paterno? If he was that serious why did'nt the person who originally reported it take it further himself? Was he sure what he had seen? It seems to me that Mr Paterno did exactly what the person who told him did, assumed that the person that he reported the incident to would take further action.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:20 AM

217 posts, read 308,022 times
Oh, and if an older woman who chases younger men is a cougar, what do you call an older man who chases (much) younger men?

A NITTANY LION.

Stay classy Pennsylvania, we know your sons and daughters are after supporting an Institutions that covers up for pedarasts!

Old 11-09-2011, 11:27 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
McQueary failed, Paterno failed, they all failed those boys...
even the boy's mother who found out her son was taking a shower with Sandusky when he came home with wet hair--and Sandusky ADMITTED to her that he did take a shower with her son and HE WAS NOT GOING TO STOP DOING THAT BEHAVIOR--she failed to report to police what happened...from what I understand...

people are too intimidated to get crosswise with those who are in positions of power...

the only good that might come out of this stinking pit of cover-your-ass and cover-the-school's-ass is that mandatory reporting guidelines might be created so that people are NOT reporting to their superiors inside a private agency---
anyone who sees an act of child abuse or who has something like that reported to him/her should be required to go to the police--let the police be the arbiters of what is a crime or not
IF they don't, they should be charged with a crime serious enough that they will be afraid NOT to make the report...
yes==that could make lot of false reports but which is worse--
investigating the possibility of abuse and finding out it is not true or letting a predator like Sandusky have free rein

Old 11-09-2011, 12:20 PM

466 posts, read 815,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
McQueary failed, Paterno failed, they all failed those boys...
even the boy's mother who found out her son was taking a shower with Sandusky when he came home with wet hair--and Sandusky ADMITTED to her that he did take a shower with her son and HE WAS NOT GOING TO STOP DOING THAT BEHAVIOR--she failed to report to police what happened...from what I understand...
No, from what I've read. She did call the police and they even either put a wire on her or somewhere in the house for that conversation. For whatever reason, the DA decided not to prosecute.

Lots of people dropped the ball here.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:56 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,709,844 times
The one person I might feel sorry for here is Tom Bradley. He'll mostly like be gone with Joe after having the promise of the head coaching position hung over him for the past decade or so. If he was also involved then I understand why they would can him, but if not then it is a shame if he gets let go. I can't see the university keep any of the staff at this point though.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:13 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
I may have missed it, but did someone post the Grand Jury report? - http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploa...resentment.pdf

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet67 View Post
Woody Hayes was forced out at Ohio State after punching an opposing player during a bowl game. Bear Bryant, on the other hand, retired on his own; he was not forced out at Alabama.
You're right; it was some other coach and I can't think of who.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:36 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,948,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Lest we forget, the real story here is a child sex-abuse coverup, not football. If he knew about his defensive co-ordinator's crimes and did little or nothing, I hope "JoePa" spends his retirement inside a prison cell.
While I totally agree with you, sadly his illustrious career is what will save his ass if it turns out he's guilty of the type of apathy you described.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania