Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 6,944 times

Advertisements

Just wondering I heard some Amish are leaving L.C. Are they? If so where are they going?

Also are illegal immigrants coming to Lancaster?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 06:15 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,936,722 times
From speaking with locals when I go out to the Lancaster area, I have heard from several sources that many of the Amish are leaving. I've been told that this stems from the high birth rate and lack of farmable land. In many places you have Amish farmland surrounded by McMansions and businesses. Basically, if an Amish family has acreage and then has 5 sons to inherit this acreage, there just isn't enough to split, so the boys end up moving elsewhere to farm when they marry and start their own family, or some go into different vocations. The Amish sometimes move west to more rural areas in Ohio/Wisconsin, etc. I really feel for the buggies attempting to navigate around on summer weekends when there is traffic everywhere - yikes!

I don't know anything in reference to the immigration issue, sorry. You may have heard this about Lancaster city, which is drastically different from rural Lancaster county.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:29 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
When we lived in upstate NY several years ago there was an Amish community that was just starting for the very reasons that Karen mentions. Heck, when an acre of land costs $100,000 one can't afford to farm unless you inherit. There are huge portions of western NY state where land is still reasonably priced and it's beautiful - shorter warm weather seasons but still very nice.

I also don't know about illegal immigrants.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:16 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,309,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
When we lived in upstate NY several years ago there was an Amish community that was just starting for the very reasons that Karen mentions. Heck, when an acre of land costs $100,000 one can't afford to farm unless you inherit. There are huge portions of western NY state where land is still reasonably priced and it's beautiful - shorter warm weather seasons but still very nice.

I also don't know about illegal immigrants.
Well, Ohio has a nice sized amish area. Also, the area west of chambersburg seems to be growing with amish. It's not really all that situated for the BosWash growth like lancaster, but has virtually the same climate, and land is relatively cheap. I can't blame them. Especially when they wanted to put a highway through a large amish area in lancaster, luckily for them a good portion of Lancaster economy is based off of the amish.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Illinois and Indiana have decent sized Amish communities as well.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:43 AM

49 posts, read 215,473 times
I recently stopped at a fast food restaurant in Pulaski, NY, about 30 miles north of Syracuse and there were several horse carriages tied up outside! I spoke to one of the counter employees and she said so many had moved into the area they installed hitching posts and spaces in the parking lot for them! During my visit there I also noticed several other stores had the hitching posts too so there must be enough Amish there if the stores are setting up special parking for them.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:53 AM

393 posts, read 1,530,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory mutana View Post
Just wondering I heard some Amish are leaving L.C. Are they? If so where are they going?

Also are illegal immigrants coming to Lancaster?
I have a good friend who lives in Lancaster and we keep in contact. According to what this person tells me...Yes, the illegals are moving in in droves and the Amish are being pushed out. The crime rate is also rising from drugs coming in from Philly.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:19 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,341,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susquehannock View Post
I have a good friend who lives in Lancaster and we keep in contact. According to what this person tells me...Yes, the illegals are moving in in droves and the Amish are being pushed out. The crime rate is also rising from drugs coming in from Philly.
The drugs are also coming in from Reading as well.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:08 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,309,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
The drugs are also coming in from Reading as well.
I think reading is more of an influence than philly. Reading is the rest stop since it's within an easy drive of all the major metro's.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:08 AM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Reading and Lancaster and Allentown are where the drugs and criminals are coming in from from NYC and Philly. And the spanish are puerto ricans who are not illegals, the mexicans are the illegals(possibly). I do see mexicans( more and more) but you can tell the difference.
And the amish are being forced out by land prices and taxes, not by crime from illegals. In Berks farms are being sold to developers, crime has nothing to do with it. Reading is crime ridden, the rest of the surrounding county isn't. You can sell your land to a developer for a million or two and buy land out in the midwest for much less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania