Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 12:29 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,964,681 times

Advertisements

Honestly, every time someone from that university opens their mouths it's a disaster. The latest is Paterno's interview with the Washington Post. Paterno had no superiors at Penn State. Football was the religion and he was the archbishop. I hope that now the good people of "Happy Valley" can put their sports mania aside and concentrate on education rather than being lured by the money that the sports business brings to them. It was totally out of control. Penn State should never have been all about football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 03:25 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,330,002 times
goldengrain wrote

Like any responsible institution, Penn must weed out all the wrong doing, punish all those who are responsible, set new very clear guidelines, and resume with business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Are you going to tell me you have any connection to Penn State or the University of Pennsylvania or the entire state of Pennsylvania and you refer to Penn State as Penn?
The simple fact that this pearl of wisdom comes from somebody who didn't make the effort to differentiate between Penn (the Ivy League school in Philadelphia) and Penn State says a lot about the Johnny- and Suzie-come-latelys who joined the lynch mob just as readily as the dummies involved in the "riot" (which was neither that big, nor that violent).

For basic facts, I'm limiting myself to a condensed version that can be easily accessed via wikipedia:

Penn State sex abuse scandal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And until the most blatant accusations are addressed in open court, I'm not about to blindly swallow what as been most openly embraced (and trumpeted far and wide) by a faction which obviously has an axe to grind, a well-developed agenda, and an ideological orientation far to one side of the independent center.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 01-16-2012 at 03:38 PM..

Old 01-16-2012, 03:55 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
recent interview with Paterno is just sad...

the comment he made that he basically did not understand male rape and how it could/might occur--just sad...and frankly for a man of his generation and upbringing, totally believeable...even if he had made his living around jocks and shower rooms all his life...

BUT he still maintains that McQueary did not give him specific description because MCQUEARY was too upset--not that Paterno stopped him from spilling the beans...which was McQueary's statement at one point...

and I think that the PSU Board of Regents fired Paterno illegally--(kind of reverse of what I though previously)...
whether or not Paterno's resignation which he claims to have made stands and superceeds the firing (wiping out its illegal nature) I don't know...
I think he has grounds to sue the Board regarding the firing and if he was upheld then PSU would have to cover any legal bills he has/will have that result from his actions as head coach at that time or previously...
These are my thought too. I still don't understand how they could have one set of rules which said that at "least" he should report to higher ups...which he did, and so satisfied his obligation, and then be fired because he didn't do more.
Well, gee, if they wanted more, they should have specified that...and are quite right to add more stipulations in the future...but it seems THEY broke his contract

Old 01-16-2012, 04:01 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,095 times
As a child rape survivor and a resident of PA I'm extremely pleased to see the rapid decline into the abyss that Penn State is experiencing.

Those responsible including Paterno are now rotting in their own hell where they belong.

Your getting everything you deserve for the pain and torture those children went through Guys!!

Old 01-16-2012, 04:03 PM

Funny, there's alot of people who are praying for Mr. Paterno, including myself :-)

Old 01-16-2012, 04:05 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,095 times
Funny, I'm praying for the children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
Funny, there's alot of people who are praying for Mr. Paterno, including myself :-)

Old 01-16-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Funny, I'm praying for the children.
no reason you can't pray for both

Old 01-16-2012, 06:35 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,330,002 times
For whatever it's worth, I have a brother who occupies a mid-level executive position within another Pennsylvania institution, specifically, the Agriculture Department.

We compare notes over the phone every few weeks, and he informs me that since Governor Corbett took office, and well in advance of this issue coming to light, policies regarding transparency and openness were strengthened considerably --- no longer were issues of substance to be handled with a nod and a handshake --- get it down in writing!

Governor Corbett has, it might be noted, a strong legal background; he served as the state's Attorney General (an elected office) for two terms before seeking the Governorship. But his office is reportedly being deluged at this time by outsiders, on both sides of this issue, seeking to "help".

Another reason why I'm determined not to be spoon-fed "facts" by people from outside the orbit of Pennsylvania resisdents and Penn State Alumni, (and many of the latter are of quite "libreral", however one chooses to define it) persuasion.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 01-16-2012 at 07:48 PM..

Old 01-16-2012, 06:55 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,657,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
For whatever it's worth, I have a brother who occupies a mid-level executive position within another Pennsylvania institution, specifically, the Agriculture Department.

We compare nortes over the phone every few weeks, and he informs me that since Governor Corbett took office, and well in advance of this issue coming to light, policies regarding transperacy and openness were strengthened considerably --- no longer were issues of substance to be handled with a nod and a handshake --- get it down in writing!

Governor Corbett has, it might be noted, a strong legal background; he served as the state's Attorney General (an elected office) for two terms before seeking the Governorship. But his office is reportedly being deluged at this time by outsiders, on both sides of this issue, seeking to "help".

Another reason why I'm determined not to be spoon-fed "facts" by people from outside the orbit of Pennsylvania resisdents and Penn State Alumni, (and many of the later are of quite "libreral", however one chooses to define it), persuasion.
Corbett is not squeaky clean in this matter. The investigation was turned over to the Pa Attorney General's office in March 2009. One state trooper was assigned to investigate the case and it is not clear when other resources were assigned but it may not have occurred until State Police Commissioner Frank Noonan took office in January 2011. Corbett appears to have done nothing to restrict Sandusky's activities or spped up the investigation yet he is the one who is quick to point the finger at others.

Here is some background on this: Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett defends cautious investigation into Sandusky allegations | PennLive.com

Patriot-News Special Report: Inside the Jerry Sandusky investigation - why did it take so long? | PennLive.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania