Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2011, 10:49 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,944,044 times

Advertisements

I think they're the two nicest towns I've ever been to in Pennsylvania. Bedford is so picturesque and tranquil. They really did a great job revamping Bedford Springs, and it's an amazing place for a weekend getaway any time of year. Properties are beautiful there and reasonably priced. The biggest downside is it's distance from a major airport, however I wouldn't call it "isolated" by any stretch.

Then there's Beaver, which is like a diamond in a toilet bowl. Granted the bowl has been flushed and cleaned in recent years, but I still wouldn't let my cat drink the water. Beaver has it all: Awesome, reasonably priced homes, close to the airport, reasonably close to the city, and every amenity you'd expect from a town of it's size. It's clean, downtown has had some major improvement projects completed in recent years, and crime is very low. The ride into the city is on the least miserable of the parkways as well.

I'm just really surprised neither one of these towns get a lot of love on this forum, because they should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 05:18 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,592,880 times
Beaver would be generally covered in the Pittsburgh subforum. It comes up now and then. It's only about 30 miles from Pittsburgh so it's well within that sphere of influence, even if the road options make that more like an hour commute. And that's part of the big reason it doesn't come up that often. You need to be a little less connected to the city to reasonably want to live out there. To most people, the obvious ride into the city is on the miserable Parkway West, but yes many people cut through my vicinity to get onto 79 and 279. It's still going to take close to an hour at rush times.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:07 PM

10,223 posts, read 16,771,270 times
I like bedford, nice little town. I had a number of tasty beverages at the jean bonnet. are there any nice hotels in town?

Old 11-22-2011, 12:38 PM

41,871 posts, read 74,926,019 times
Never been to Beaver, but Bedford has reinvented itself quite nicely with antique shops and art galleries.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:32 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,748,057 times
I doubt too many folks would be interested in both Beaver and Bedford, they're on opposite sides of Stiller Nation.

As for "nice hotels" in Bedford, certainly Omni Bedford Springs Resort | Pennsylvania Golf & Spa Resort would qualify as at least "nice" for anyone. Both Bedford and the next exit over, Breezewood, are amply supplied with chain and non-chain motels as well for an area its size. Bedford County Visitors Bureau

For good or ill Bedford is a very conservative area, socially and politically it's the foundation of the nameless "T" zone in the middle of PA. It is very difficult to find a non-chain eatery open for Sunday supper in Bedford County, as one indication.

Bedford Borough and immediate areas in Bedford and Snake Spring townships are slightly more conducive to putting on airs than the other Bedford County communities. Everett is a more workaday town that still keeps a fair number of local businesses for a community of its size and median household income.

With respect to distance to an airport, it may be worth noting that Altoona's airport is almost in Bedford County, in the Morrisons Cove area (Roaring Spring/Martinsburg/Woodbury) split between Blair and Bedford. Prohibition never ended in Morrisons Cove, and its smiling countryside is a throwback to a bygone America. If you don't believe me, check this out: http://www.mcheraldonline.com/index.php

Old 11-25-2011, 07:35 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,464,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Beaver would be generally covered in the Pittsburgh subforum. It comes up now and then. It's only about 30 miles from Pittsburgh so it's well within that sphere of influence, even if the road options make that more like an hour commute. And that's part of the big reason it doesn't come up that often. You need to be a little less connected to the city to reasonably want to live out there. To most people, the obvious ride into the city is on the miserable Parkway West, but yes many people cut through my vicinity to get onto 79 and 279. It's still going to take close to an hour at rush times.
Yes, Beaver is part of the Pittsburgh area. Cute little town; the county seat of Beaver County. It's where we got our marriage license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania