Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 04:17 PM

222 posts, read 1,411,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnepler View Post
They don't . They hate New Yorkers....

hahaha good one.

as for the real question, we love people from washington, garrett and allegany counties. then we also love half of frederick county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 08:31 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMilford View Post
Here, here!

As a "Marylander" moving to Pike county in a couple of short weeks, I truly hope we will be given an opportunity to assimilate. We don't want or need a huge house, just something comfortable and that suits our needs. Hubby is a fisherman, and the rental we hope to lock up this weekend is near the river, so he is psyched!!! He was actually born and raised in the Scranton area, so I guess I'm the true "transplant" for this move, ha ha. And, I DO want to get involved in our community, so I hope I won't be met with the cold shoulder when I try to volunteer down the road...
They won't mind you as a Marylander in Pike County. Its the New Yorkers that people around there don't like.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:21 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
MsMilford,
You will be just fine. The Pennsylvania people are such a friendly bunch.
Down-to-earth and not all that needy of material things. In other words, you won't have to worry that your home is huge or not. People here are friendly to all. You may run across many who are not from the state, or have just moved here, that are not as forthcoming.
Its the groups of rough, tough characters that don't fit in.
We live slower, love the land, hike, bike, fish, ski, and go boating........
We don't need loud horns, fast cars, loud voices, and rude manners.
I think as someone coming from Maryland, you will fit in fine............
Don't worry, relax, and enjoy that you will live in the beautiful mountains, with wonderful rivers and lots to do. An early Welcome to you!

Old 09-04-2007, 12:39 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
MsMilford,
Down-to-earth and not all that needy of material things. In other words, you won't have to worry that your home is huge or not. People here are friendly to all. You may run across many who are not from the state, or have just moved here, that are not as forthcoming.
Don't worry, relax, and enjoy that you will live in the beautiful mountains, with wonderful rivers and lots to do. An early Welcome to you!
Boy, I had no idea that everyone originally from PA fits into such a description.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:51 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,524 times
Quote:
MsMilford,
Just don't actually go into the rivers. the Mon apparently is attrocious, and the susquehana regularly goes over the safe limit for e.coli.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
Just don't actually go into the rivers. the Mon apparently is attrocious, and the susquehana regularly goes over the safe limit for e.coli.
Marodi, What about river rafting on the Lehigh out of Jim Thorpe area?
I see them laughing all the way down the stream.
Shouldn't be too bad, do you think?

Old 09-04-2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Boy, I had no idea that everyone originally from PA fits into such a description.
You know what? It gives me a giggle.......because the longer you live here it becomes so the "norm." But, an outsider notices it right away usually.
It brings out the in me just thinking about the people of Pa.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:22 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,011,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnepler View Post
They don't . They hate New Yorkers....
Wow.. why do you hate NY'rs..

I'm a new Yorker and joined this place trying to find a better place to live. Quite honestly my quality of life reallly Stinks here on LI. Property taxes are too high, housing prices are too high and I'm looking for a better place to live. . a place where I can stop working for just a little bit to enjoy some qualitytime with my son and the kids I want to have.. something that I can't afford to do where I live. It upsets me to here that people in PA may not like NY's or people from NJ or MD just looking for a better way of life.

I certainly hope that if I do move that people will be happy to have new neighbors looking to make their roots and call PA home. Because the next house I buy I plan on living in until my kids are grown with kids of their own..

And..yup..I want a nice plot of land for my kids to play on that affords me some neighbors, but with some privacey and space.. unlike what I get here on LI.

And.. give all those people from NY , NJ and MD a chance to learn the "slower" way to life.. because it's an adjustment. You have no idea how hard it is and how fast we have to move to survive here.. it takes some time to settle into a quieter life..but one they obviously so wanted by moving to PA.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:24 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,619,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Wow.. why do you hate NY'rs..

I'm a new Yorker and joined this place trying to find a better place to live. Quite honestly my quality of life reallly Stinks here on LI. Property taxes are too high, housing prices are too high and I'm looking for a better place to live. . a place where I can stop working for just a little bit to enjoy some qualitytime with my son and the kids I want to have.. something that I can't afford to do where I live. It upsets me to here that people in PA may not like NY's or people from NJ or MD just looking for a better way of life.

I certainly hope that if I do move that people will be happy to have new neighbors looking to make their roots and call PA home. Because the next house I buy I plan on living in until my kids are grown with kids of their own..

And..yup..I want a nice plot of land for my kids to play on that affords me some neighbors, but with some privacey and space.. unlike what I get here on LI.

And.. give all those people from NY , NJ and MD a chance to learn the "slower" way to life.. because it's an adjustment. You have no idea how hard it is and how fast we have to move to survive here.. it takes some time to settle into a quieter life..but one they obviously so wanted by moving to PA.
Because people from NY choose to live in gated communities and McMansions which do NOTHING but tear up the countryside and ruin the lifestyle they came here to enjoy! Now, some (but much less) move into the established communities and boroughs. That's much better.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:38 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,011,689 times
Quote:
MsMilford,

I'm from NY and I fell in LOVE with MD. Then , I have been thinking about PA because it's near MD, near NY and so on. Also, I find that you can get more for your money in PA than in MD..cost of livign is a little better. MD is less expensive than NY but still pretty expensive when compared to PA.

And.. I can't stand rude obnoxious people too! I was born and raised in NY .. but I have family that live small town life in MT.. wherem y mom lives now.. alhtough it's too small town for me. I need a place in PA that's a good balance.. and I hope I don't get the cold shoulder should I decide to live in PA..

And I don't want a mcmansion, but one that will be comfortable for me and my growning family.. I do want McLand though..LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania