Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 10:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,798 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating from Indiana to PA and I'm looking for help/advice with my search for a place to live. I'll be working in Denver and would like to keep the commute to 30 minutes or less. I'm looking to rent an apartment for around $700 a month. I'm 25 years old so I'm looking for somewhere that has a lot to do but is also safe for a family, which could be a possibility in the future. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 11:43 AM

443 posts, read 597,422 times
If you are working in Denver then you probably won't be living in the Philly area being only 30 minutes away. Although Denver is located on the Turnpike, so extreme urban sprawl exurbs of Philly may be an option like Phoenixville.

I had a job offer in Reading, and I had to take it so I first moved into an apartment in the border of Reading just south of West Reading. Reading is not a desirable place to live. Some of the outer suburbs of reading are good though. Same with Lancaster.

I have always lived in cities after college; Philly, downtown Denver, then Pittsburgh again. When I got a job in Reading I tried the "urban" thing, but in 6 months broke my lease for a nice small town. If your in Denver you can have the options of 1) Vibrant small town 2) older desirable suburb of a smaller city like Reading or Lancaster or 3) ghetto urban area in a little city like Reading or Lancaster 4) urban sprawl housing plans that scatter what use to be beautiful farm land and be part of the problem.

Take your pick.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:49 PM

8,977 posts, read 21,057,345 times
This has been moved from the Philadelphia forum to the general Pennsylvania forum as the areas discussed are outside what would be considered the Philly metro.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:21 PM

10,220 posts, read 16,726,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
If you are working in Denver then you probably won't be living in the Philly area being only 30 minutes away. Although Denver is located on the Turnpike, so extreme urban sprawl exurbs of Philly may be an option like Phoenixville.

I had a job offer in Reading, and I had to take it so I first moved into an apartment in the border of Reading just south of West Reading. Reading is not a desirable place to live. Some of the outer suburbs of reading are good though. Same with Lancaster.

I have always lived in cities after college; Philly, downtown Denver, then Pittsburgh again. When I got a job in Reading I tried the "urban" thing, but in 6 months broke my lease for a nice small town. If your in Denver you can have the options of 1) Vibrant small town 2) older desirable suburb of a smaller city like Reading or Lancaster or 3) ghetto urban area in a little city like Reading or Lancaster 4) urban sprawl housing plans that scatter what use to be beautiful farm land and be part of the problem.

Take your pick.
I don't know that lancaster is all that bad, there are some good neighborhoods, there's stuff to do (two brewpubs, some good bars, good coffee shops, an excellent public market, etc) and there's good train service to philly. lancaster and reading have some things in common but lancaster seems to be clearly on its way up..and there's certainly more to it than "ghetto urban area"..

Old 12-21-2011, 07:35 PM

Yes, You are right; I don't know Lancaster enough to make a fair assesment. I would actually like to know more of Lancaster and York in where the urban and vibrant parts are. I driven around them, got a feel, but am far from making a fair assessment. I know Reading, and to be honest would not live within the city borders. If I had a job in Denver, I would look into the Adamstown area, or Lancaster area.

However, there is a lot of ugly urban sprawl digesting parts of S.E. PA badly though.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
Yes, You are right; I don't know Lancaster enough to make a fair assesment. I would actually like to know more of Lancaster and York in where the urban and vibrant parts are. I driven around them, got a feel, but am far from making a fair assessment. I know Reading, and to be honest would not live within the city borders. If I had a job in Denver, I would look into the Adamstown area, or Lancaster area.

However, there is a lot of ugly urban sprawl digesting parts of S.E. PA badly though.
If I had to pick an area and wanted to live in an urban area with stuff within walking distance, etc, I'd certainly consider lancaster. it's my understanding that the bad area is on the south side but maybe teach beach can verify. the west end struck me as a decent neighborhood for families and not far from downtown where things seem to be happening. I also like the east end but am less familiar with it. go there for happy hour or something. if you like beer, try springhouse taproom, lancaster brewing, or pour. lots of phillies fans on the sunday trains to philly...and with the new renovation, central market is really nice. there's even a pho place.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:10 PM

4,692 posts, read 8,985,149 times
From what I have read, Lancaster city has a lot going for it, and it's definitely not all ghetto. But I haven't visited yet.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:18 AM

429 posts, read 714,054 times
Thumbs up A Vote for Berks County

If you want to live in a small city with things to do, my vote goes to Lancaster City over Reading (sorry, Reading). How hopping do you need things to be?

But if you are more suburban, I vote for Shillington (19607) or Mohnton (19540) - you said you were thinking of settling down so maybe suburban would be better. You are within 30 minutes of Denver easily - right down rt. 222, easy. You are in a nice area of Berks County with hiking, biking trails, Nolde Forest, Blue Marsh Lake nearby, Reading Royals hockey at the Sovereign Center as well as arena football, headline musical acts come to town (Reading - which is 10 minutes away from Shillington or Mohnton). Berkshire Mall, the terrific West Reading boutique shopping, and the granddaddy outlet complex: VF Outlets on Penn Avenue in Wyomissing, plus the big box stores and groceries all around.

Google either of those zip codes into an apartment search and I'm sure you'll come up with something nice for the price!

Good luck!

Old 12-22-2011, 08:19 AM

what's the deal on ephrata?

Old 12-22-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
what's the deal on ephrata?
We walked around that town one weekend. It seemed like a very nice well kept small town. I would live there. I read on this forum though of people complaining about it. Something about people are snobby or something. I don't know, everybody complains on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania