U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 13,326 times

Advertisements

We are an interracial family in our mid-20's with a young daughter. I am from Columbus ohio and my fiance is from a small town outside philly. We are looking to find a wonderful safe suburban community (harrisburg?) to raise our family. Our interests include: Excellent academics, sports (girls soccer), men's softball leagues, and a nice social environment. We greatly appreciate any input you have in helping us find a great place to raise our family. Thank you! - McGregors
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2006, 02:17 AM

58 posts, read 439,649 times
You might check my Dream Town post - the schools in the Hummelstown-Hershey-Palmyra areas are looking very good on their scoring compared to state averages... I don't know about the sports, but they seem like very family oriented communities. Do a search for the town's homepages. Happy Hunting; we know how you feel.

Old 09-16-2006, 10:52 AM

2 posts, read 14,894 times
Default go west

Check out Paoli (tredyffrin/Easttown schools).
Or West Chester/Malvern. The Chester County schools are awesome.

good luck
paolipete

Old 01-10-2007, 11:01 AM

11 posts, read 51,395 times
Smile interracial family looking for much the same things

hello Mcgregors, My family and I are looking for a neighbor that will offer the smae accepting environment as our current home town of Selden, Long Island. We've been looking mostly in the NE parts of Penn. Still have not really found our nitch yet. The only way to really get a hands on feel is to visit these places from time to time. Good luck with your search. Let us know if you find something.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 13,324 times
I have lived in the Hershey-Palmyra area most of my life. While Hershey is nice, it is also expensive to live there. Palmyra, on the other hand is blossoming into a very desirable place to live. The tax base is much lower than Hershey and the homes are less expensive. Being only three miles from Hershey, we are still close enough to enjoy what Hershey has to offer. We are close to Harrisburg shopping centers, close to major highways and nice restaurants. Many people that I know work in Dauphin county, but live in Lebanon county. Our area is becoming more diverse and I know interracial couples that live here without incident. It is not without problems. I don't know any place that is, but the crime rate is very low. I feel very safe and I live alone. Palmyra has really grown in the past few years. New developments have sprung up all over the place. Right outside of town, heading south on Rt. 117, there is a sports center for kids. There is a new one going in right now in North Londonderry Twp. which borders the Palmyra borough. It will offer many types of sports for kids in a rural type area. I think if you take the time to check it out you will be happy.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:22 PM

19 posts, read 92,488 times
Let me tel you I can say since I moved to Dingmans Ferry pa 2yrs. ago I haven't been any happier. We came here because it was very affordable, safe, beautiful, but most of all, The school system!! Deleware Valley school system. I grew up in NY about one hour from here and my school was rivals with Deleware Valey(kids stuff) but my parents always said they were the best school acedemically. My mom couldn't move to PA because my dad was a NY city cop and that was over the limit from where he was aloud to live. Now that I have grown and my Recently adopted chilren are with me i ran here. My husband comutes about 1hour and a half to work every day butr hwe wouldn't live anywhere else. If you love the country and small towns just ask my kids they will tell you it's great. What do they know, I don't tell them it's for the school, they all get sraight A's. Oh by the way, WE are a huge soccer family, my hubby has even been a coach at one point. Sin. afternoons are for Soccer games. GOD LUCK!!!!

Old 01-26-2007, 01:30 PM

660 posts, read 2,366,644 times
you should try allentown i have a friend whos mom moved there and she loves it she was telling us its pretty cheap to live there and plenty of stores and stuff to do

Old 01-26-2007, 03:35 PM

1,794 posts, read 3,134,165 times
Do you need to be in the Harrisburg area, or can you go further SE? Has your fiance ever heard of Media, PA, the County Seat of Delaware County? It's a truly WONDERFUL, quaint town with an excellent racial and cultural diversity, a fantastic school district, a lot of community activities, great restaurants, a hsitorical theatre. There are many lovely, older homes, newer townhouses and apartment complexes as well as developments with duplexes. It has a Septa rail line as well as a trolley right in the center of town. It's immediate environs, also part of the school district, are called Rose Tree, Middletown Upper Providence and Springton lake (the ultra-wealthy section). Really a great family town. Here's an informative link for your review.(MODERATOR, PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE THIS LINK AS IT IS INTENDED FOR INFORMATION AND RESOURCES): http://mediaboro.com (broken link)

Old 03-20-2007, 03:42 PM

7 posts, read 38,803 times
I am considering a move to Palmyra area or the Pocono area? Does anyone have a suggestion? I love outdoor activities, but don't want to be in a real crowded area with bad traffic. My wife can transfer jobs to either place. I am from Arizona and have been in TN for the last 5 years due to job. Any suggestions on what might be a better place?

Thanks

Old 03-20-2007, 04:04 PM

33 posts, read 131,171 times
How about State College or Bellefonte? Both have great schools and are very safe. There is also many sporting events, thanks to Penn Stae, of course. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania