U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2007, 09:20 AM

4 posts, read 11,431 times

Advertisements

I am new to this board. I am so glad to have found it!
My husband's job is being relocated to Collegeville. We are moving to Skippack in a few weeks from Ann Arbor, MI. We have two girls. They enjoy swim, gymnastics, and taekwondo. I am having a hard time finding nearby facilities that offer these activities. I hope to find a full time job soon and don't want to have to drive too far for these activities.
I am also thinking about using the Goddard at Skippack preschool and after school programs for my girls (once I find a job). Anybody has any experience with this childcare facility? Any advice is welcome.
Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 04:04 PM

1,032 posts, read 4,094,954 times
When we moved to this area two years ago, the Spring Valley YMCA in Limerick was a god send - it's a very impressive facility and has tons of classes for kids and adults, not to mention a really cool pool!

Here is the link Spring Valley YMCA Program Center (broken link)

Old 09-02-2007, 05:56 AM

36 posts, read 135,737 times
Default moving to skippack

i am not extremely familiar with skippack but i have been there, i live about 20 minutes away. It is really really nice. Very quaint, very classy. I cant give you specific advice about where to go for activities but one avenue you may consider is going to the MOMs Club Website. International MOMS Club

the moms club is an international organization with chapters everywhere. the only criteria needed to join is to be a mom. (originally it was created for stay at home moms, but more and more, working moms are joining their local chapter).

If you go to the website, you can type in the zip for skippack, or find the website on there and call the president of the chapter. the MOMs Club is an invaluble tool for relocation. The women in that chapter will know EVERYTHING about their local area and i am certain they will be more than willing to give you advice.

You may consider joining (normally cheap around $25/year) and that will get you a lot of info with a newsletter and possiby access to their message board if the chapter has one.
hope this helps

Old 09-02-2007, 10:52 AM

2,130 posts, read 4,672,263 times
I second the Spring Valley YMCA.

Also, try Turner's Gymnastics, which is on Germantown Pike, about 10 minutes east of Collegeville.

It seems like there's karate and taekwondo places all over.

There's also the Skippack Pool, but I think there's a waiting list, and it's only open in the summer. There are other swim clubs around as well.

Old 09-02-2007, 02:33 PM

1,032 posts, read 4,094,954 times
Also, the Goddard schools are good - expensive, but good.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:47 AM

4 posts, read 11,431 times
thanks for all the replies guys. the Y looks awesome. There are so many different times that a class if offered and I mapquested it from my soon to be home, it is only 10min drive. And Skippack actually has a local MOMs club. I will email them once I have moved. It sounds like a great idea for a new resident.
I use an expensive childcare service here in MI. But I really like it. They charge the parents more so they may pay the teachers the highest in the area and offer health care and paid vacation. This helps with attracting the best teachers and retaining them. I think it is worth it. So I will definitely take a close look at Goddard and see if they are running the same type of service or just have a fancy facility and want to fleece folks. The only attraction so far is convenience. They are near Skippack Elementary and the bus will drop my 3rd grader off there once I start working again. That way both of my children will be at the same location. I think that it will help with the logistics of getting everyone where they need to be.
Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>