Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 07:53 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,055 times

Advertisements

Has anyone read House Resolution 535 yet? It was unanimously approved by the PA House on 1/23/12. Among other statements, it declares "our national need to study and apply the teachings of the holy scriptures".

This is ridiculous. These people were elected to operate the government and represent the citizens. How can they in good conscience believe that this resolution is a means to that end? It demeans a significant number of Pennsylvania residents who do not hold the Bible in any particular esteem. At best it's pandering; at worst, they really believe it and are bigots.

Perhaps it is indicative of how America's largest full time legislature spends its time. It certainly diminishes any credibility I would give to any representative who voted to approve. In fact, I consider them to be enemies of freedom of - and from - religion and deserving of very little respect or credibility.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 08:01 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
It's so good to know that they have solved all of Pennsylvania's problems and have moved on to establishing Christianity as the State Religion. All they need to do now is hire some inquisitors

Old 02-01-2012, 08:51 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Pennsylvania's state legislasture needs to be cut by AT LEAST half. Its too bloated. For example, there is no need for Lackawanna County, population of about 210,000, to have 5 state reps, and all the expenses that go along with them....staffs, per diems, cars, food, lodging, etc etc etc etc. And they actually have time to sit and come up with this kind of BS. I guess they never heard of separation of church and state??

Old 02-01-2012, 11:56 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
This is pretty appalling and unconstitutional, and frankly I'm surprised there has not been more media attention about this. I don't know what's more shocking -- that this was legitimately proposed as a resolution, or that it was passed unanimously. I mean really, is this like 1925 or something?

If this isn't evidence that we need to scrap our entire legislature and start over, I don't know what is.

Last edited by Duderino; 02-01-2012 at 12:05 PM..

Old 02-01-2012, 12:26 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times
What the heck? I have as much respect for the Bible as the next guy/gal, but what happened to separation of church and state? I think our state legislators should be spending time on issues such as unemployment, hunger relief, housing, education, etc.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:11 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,117,135 times
I think all of our Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, and agnostic/atheist citizens can all just stop paying their state taxes now. They have zero representation in the legislature- and by representation I mean having their interests taken into account. "no taxation without representation"

Old 02-01-2012, 04:39 PM

393 posts, read 1,530,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
What the heck? I have as much respect for the Bible as the next guy/gal, but what happened to separation of church and state?

I'd would also like to know what happened to it !

I've read the Constitution and Bill of Rights many times and I just can't find it anywhere!

Somebody show me before I spend one more second looking!

Old 02-01-2012, 05:34 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
I think all of our Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, and agnostic/atheist citizens can all just stop paying their state taxes now. They have zero representation in the legislature- and by representation I mean having their interests taken into account. "no taxation without representation"
Actually the seperation of Church and State came about because Virginia was funding Anglican Schools and the Baptists hired Thomas Jefferson as their Lawyer

Old 02-01-2012, 06:27 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susquehannock View Post
Somebody show me before I spend one more second looking!
It's called the First Amendment, although unfortunately many refuse to acknowledge it. We are not, and never have been, a "Christian" nation.

I hope the legislature is prepared to make the Qu'ran and the Torah the official religious books of Pennsylvania 2013 and 2014.

Billy Penn is turning in his grave right now.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:07 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times
My thanks to BrooklineSylvia for posting this info. I'm going to contact my State Senator today about this bill. Thank heavens, he's not a sponsor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania