Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 06:52 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybutt78 View Post
in reading it states that once a child turns 18 or graduates..whichever comes later...now child graduates in june and turns 18 in september...does this mean we have to continue til september
yes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 06:55 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
yes.

Does your daughter have a relationship with her father? What is his financial status? Have either you or your daughter talked to him about this? Maybe just asking to just help with books or something?

My take on this is that parents are not obligated to pay for their kid's college. If they can and want to, fine.

Specifically for PA, you might want to consult CYS. If they can't answer, they could at least tell you who can.
The one advantage coming from a single parent home is the child will usually receive an enormous amount of financial aid. The income of the non-custodial parent is not considered.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:27 AM

971 posts, read 688,204 times
No, whoever is paying the support does not HAVE to pay for college. I paid for one child for 17 years to a woman who left for another man. When I finished in early 2000's I was paying $175 a week. I also paid the mother $1000 a month to (live in the lifestyle she was accustomed to) until I proved she was living with the boyfriend (cost me another $3000 for a PI) a got out of that.

The whole time I paid support, her and the BF drove new vehicles and took nice vacations. Kid got non of it. I worked like a dog and drove junk cars. Amazing, when support ended, ex wifes vacations stopped and they have been driving the same car now for 15 years. SHe had the balls to tell someone they couldn't affford a new car anymore since I didn't pay support anymore. LOVE IT.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:43 PM

1 posts, read 720 times
So on the question of paying child support in PA the answer was 18 or upon graduation. So if they graduate high school at 17 is the father done paying child support? Also if the child is living full-time in the dorms at college and not with either parent does the father still have to pay CS?

Old 09-13-2016, 05:05 PM

810 posts, read 851,233 times
there is no law saying a parent must pay for their child's education. mine didn't pay for mine I used loans and did it myself. Yes parents should help out as best as they can but when a high percentage of kids squander their college experience with endless drinking and not going to class. i will not do that. If my daughter wants to go to college then i will try to help her out but I am not footing the bill especially at the current rate even a state college is getting way to expensive.
She is very smart so she will hopefully get scholarships. too.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:09 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
First, I'd like to note that this thread is from 2012.

Regarding kids and college- When a family fills out the FAFSA, they must fill in the parents financial information. The students potential financial aid will assume that the family will pay at least a portion of what it costs for them to go to college. https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/resourc...nt-fact-sheets

My husband and I did feel obligated to pay for our kids to go to college. They did well, took out small loans and are all self supporting adults.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania