Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 03:21 PM

10,221 posts, read 16,755,619 times

Advertisements

July 4-beer stores are open wine stores are closed. Suck it plcb!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 09:39 AM

207 posts, read 283,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Sure, if you want to pay out the wazoo. The two-six-pack limit is stupid.
Bars and restaurants sure, but they're usually charging their normal price as they would to a customer staying and drinking the 6 at their place. Six $2/$3 bottles natually will add up.

However I cannot think of one time I went into a convenient store that sold beer in PA (NEPA, Philly, CPA, or PGH) and paid an outrageous price. Some places overcharge, but that's fine, I just get in my car and go elsewhere. I don't really drink often but if I do I just grab a six and I'm set for a while.

And I do agree that the "one 12 at a time" is idiotic. It just doesn't make any sense.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:19 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,770,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Because people who want wine or liquor for the 4th couldn't have just gone and bought whatever they needed the day before? Why would anyone expect stores to be open on a national holiday?

Old 07-05-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Because people who want wine or liquor for the 4th couldn't have just gone and bought whatever they needed the day before? Why would anyone expect stores to be open on a national holiday?
the beer stores were open, obviously they felt they should be open on a national holiday that is associated with parties. we had a few people decide at the last minute they were going to attend our party and they weren't beer drinkers. not that I expect a shill to have a reasonable argument since you don't really give a crap about anything except preserving your jobs.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:05 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,351,958 times
Quote:
Stores in plenty of other states are...

Old 07-05-2012, 12:26 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,770,552 times
Quote:
the beer stores were open, obviously they felt they should be open on a national holiday that is associated with parties. we had a few people decide at the last minute they were going to attend our party and they weren't beer drinkers. not that I expect a shill to have a reasonable argument since you don't really give a crap about anything except preserving your jobs.
Actually I have nothing to do with the state stores, not employed by one, no relatives working for them, etc. I just don't see the big deal about them, and really I think maybe all stores should be closed on holidays. The workers deserve a day off, but greed and the almighty dollar took over and Wal-mart, etc all "need" to be open on holidays. Its used to be that people knew to stock up on food, drinks, or whatever they needed BEFORE holidays.

But from what I know, the prices and selection are competitive with stores in other states, and even if the prices are slightly higher, I don't drink enough booze to really care. For the occasional bottle of wine I buy, the state stores are more than adequate.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Actually I have nothing to do with the state stores, not employed by one, no relatives working for them, etc. I just don't see the big deal about them, and really I think maybe all stores should be closed on holidays. The workers deserve a day off, but greed and the almighty dollar took over and Wal-mart, etc all "need" to be open on holidays. Its used to be that people knew to stock up on food, drinks, or whatever they needed BEFORE holidays.

But from what I know, the prices and selection are competitive with stores in other states, and even if the prices are slightly higher, I don't drink enough booze to really care. For the occasional bottle of wine I buy, the state stores are more than adequate.
you're an anachronism (assuming you aren't a shill). people don't live like that anymore, get over it. as noted, you aren't really open minded, you don't really drink much at all, and as a whole, are completely unqualified to have a well formed opinion on the subject except that everyone else should be forced to live as you think they should live. you mention "greed" but is it not the job of an industry to serve the people it wants? it would make more sense to close on monday than sunday, as many in the service industry do. the reason sunday is often chosen is for religious reasons, rather than people needing a day off which could happen any day. wal-mart is simply giving people what they want. I like to patronize local businesses but when you work, it's difficult to shop at a store that closes at 6, has limited saturday hours, and is closed sundays. small business with your mentality generally end up bankrupt unless they offer something better than everyone else (in the state's case, you have no choice).

Old 07-05-2012, 12:45 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,858,077 times
Quote:
I had forgotten to get bottle of liquor I wanted for yesterday so guess what.... no booze. Immediately it had come to mind if these were private stores I'd be able to get it.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:48 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,858,077 times
Quote:
Why would anyone expect stores to be open on a national holiday?
I don't expect them to be open on a national holiday but the fact is they are and there is no reason a liquor store is any different than the gas station.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:20 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,351,958 times
Quote:
even if the prices are slightly higher, I don't drink enough booze to really care.
Then why are you wasting so much time defending the PLCB? If you don't drink enough booze to care, it would seem like you shouldn't have a dog in this fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania