Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2007, 03:45 PM

6 posts, read 26,640 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to PA, within 20 minutes drivetime from Pittsburgh (for family reasons). Coming from CA, the sale price of my home would get me a nice place there, but I am concerned about a comment I read in a different thread, that there is not much to do on Friday or Sat night if you aren't into high school sports.

I'm not into any kind of sports, but love to garden, hike, and take photographs. I'm more of an artistic temperament. Professionally, I'm a graphic and web designer, with a full client roster in CA. I know that I can do my work anywhere, but wonder if I'd fit in.

I also prefer overcast and rainy weather to sunny weather. I've always disliked the climate in So. Cal. as I don't like sunny days. Call me crazy but it's true!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 09:35 PM

353 posts, read 825,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrayco View Post
I am considering a move to PA, within 20 minutes drivetime from Pittsburgh (for family reasons). Coming from CA, the sale price of my home would get me a nice place there, but I am concerned about a comment I read in a different thread, that there is not much to do on Friday or Sat night if you aren't into high school sports.
First, you are correct, the average home price in Western PA is far lower than that in California. With the money you make selling your current place, you will probably be able to but one twice as large in this area.

As for concerns about the nightlife, well, its not LA... but I think that is hardly a fair comparison. That being said, I would say there is definatly a lot more to do than go to high school sports. Depending on which direction you are from the city, you shouldn't be more than a short drive away from some form of nightlife. Station Square, the South Side, etc are all pretty active on Fridays and Saturdays and I have heard complements about the nightlife in Pittsburgh as compared to that of cities of a similar size.

Quote:
I'm not into any kind of sports,
Hmmm... Pittsburgh is a huge sports town, particularly football, but as long as it doesn't bother you, than it shouldn't be a problem. As it was once said "Pittsburgh is a drinking town with a football problem."

Quote:
but love to garden, hike, and take photographs. I'm more of an artistic temperament. Professionally, I'm a graphic and web designer, with a full client roster in CA. I know that I can do my work anywhere, but wonder if I'd fit in.
The soil is pretty good around this area, and you should be able to buy a fairly large lawn for what you make off the sale of your other house, so gardening shouldn't be a problem. As for hiking and photography, the area east of the cityis excellent for hiking, and the area as a whole is one of the most picturesque(sp) I have ever seen, in terms of both natural beauty and arcitecture... and the two blend together very well around here.

I wouldn't see why you would have any trouble continuing your practice around here, in terms of career. Though the enthusiasm has died down a bit, many people have labled the area as the "Silicon Valley of the East." Jobs in the computer field should not be hard to come by. In fact, I have a friend who works for a large tech company in the area. I might be able to get some info for you, if you like.

Quote:
I also prefer overcast and rainy weather to sunny weather. I've always disliked the climate in So. Cal. as I don't like sunny days. Call me crazy but it's true!
Eh... it comes and goes. This area is one of the rainiest parts of the country, which is not to say that it is deary as, say, Seattle during the rainy season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
View detailed profiles of: