Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 09:42 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,117,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
How are they being prevented from voting? You have six months to get it and even a 6 day period after the election if you still don't have one at that time. I'm assuming the state issued ID has a 4 year expiration, if you lived until you're 78 that's 15 times in your life you'll have to take the time to get one. It's hardly a burden, once you have it what's it take about 5 minutes to fill out renewal application?
The fact that the big push for this is happening now and coming from GOP politicians tells me they believe it too, and are counting on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 10:33 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
The fact that the big push for this is happening now......
The big push for this now is because they have the votes to do it. This legislation isn't possible prior to the 2010 elections.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:25 AM

1,567 posts, read 3,117,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The big push for this now is because they have the votes to do it. This legislation isn't possible prior to the 2010 elections.
Bottom line. It may indeed be a good idea, but if the GOP didn't see a political benefit it wouldn't be happening. This is not an exercise in statesmanship.

Also, the democrats aren't being exactly pure of heart by opposing it. They know it will hurt them so they oppose it. Nobodys hands are clean here.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:00 AM

958 posts, read 1,198,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
You're ****ting me, right?

Nothing like saying let's mess with the LEGAL process by letting THOSE NOT ALLOWED TO VOTE have their say in our process. It has nothing to do with Black, Hispanic or old people. Just show that you're legally allowed to vote. That's all that is asked.

Somewhere around 50% of those in this Country take some sort of money from the government. It's an incredibly high number. If they can vote in their own perks, when does it stop? Those that pay will either draw a line or stop making money. When that happens, get ready... There will be a collapse and riots in the street.
Here's the funny thing... if you come from a nice neighborhood full of wealthy people, especially people of old-money, then you got just as much assistance as they did. You also probably got it by people screwing over the disadvantaged to make their money.

If that's the case, then you're not a self-made person.

Wealthy people don't nearly intimidate people as much as they like to think they do. If suburbanites ever tried to get physical with the urban people, well it wouldn't be even remotely pretty and they'd find out real quick just how powerful and intimidating they really are... or aren't as the case may be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Regardless of cost of ID, or lack thereof, no one has really answered the question of why this law was NEEDED. Voter fraud is essentially non-existent and this will cost money to implement -- in the millions.

I thought Republicans wanted to curb government spending:

http://www.paaflcio.org/Talking%20Po...HB%20934-1.pdf

It's a "solution" that's looking for a problem -- plain and simple. It boggles my mind why more people aren't frustrated by the lack of attention to critical issues. Is everyone that jaded?
More like that sheltered. There's a clear divide in this state between the haves and have-nots, between the urban areas and the suburbs and rural areas and small towns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
What is silly to me is that so many object to this legislation. I don’t think it went far enough. The original legislation was watered down. I agree with thecoalman: “I don't care if there is one person in this state voting illegally, I'm not willing to give up my vote to them.” Why should I even take the time to vote - if the system is not fair? Without requiring ID; how do we know how many are cheating?

I am a registered Independent. I was a Democrat for most of my life. I don’t care what party you represent - this legislation is long overdue. I am just glad that somebody is trying to do the right thing.
by using taxdollars to implement a completely unnecessary initiative.

Yeah.. they're just great leaders really, not hypocritial at all

Old 03-17-2012, 11:34 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Enjoy

The Angry Drunk Bureaucrat: State House Passes Dog Drivers License Bill

Old 03-17-2012, 02:22 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Everyone should be required to have a national ID. If you aren't breaking the law you'd have no objections.
How about a quickly-recognizable stigma for convicted felons, child-support delinquents, and the like, instead. It's not the responsible many, but the irresponsible few, who cause the problems.

And we have every right to keep them in their place until they wise up and pay their dues.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:50 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
it does annoy me that they're spending time and money addressing something that's not a problem in PA while transportation, school choice reform, etc go unresolved.
Not a problem? Tell that to Philly. Did they have 109% turn out at some precincts last year? Wow, that must be some sort of miracle.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:04 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
No matter where we go today; we are asked for identification. Doctor’s offices, banks, department stores can ask us to prove our identities. So; what is the big deal with requiring ID to vote?

I think that it should even be easier for our poll workers to use our picture ID’s - they would not have to struggle with our pronunciation or our handwriting.

I just don’t understand why so many are upset that some people want a level playing field at the polls? The only obvious reason is that one side feels that they have an advantage with the status quo.

We send observers all over the world to report on the deficiencies of elections in other countries. We are quick to point out that many elections are not fair. This new law should be embraced - if we want to be the shinning example of fairness and openness.

Instead of complaining about alienating some voters; people should help those, that do not have the new picture ID’s, to get the documentation.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:24 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,087,069 times
All voting should be held in a state or federal building where you need ID to enter. And maybe throw in a couple of TSA people to intimidate everyone by patting them down. I don't have a problem with that? Do you?

Old 03-19-2012, 07:30 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,087,069 times
"Democratic leaders have proposed requiring every worker in the nation to carry a national identification card with biometric information, such as a fingerprint, within the next six years, according to a draft of the measure."
Maybe Ted Kennedy was right lefties!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania