Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 08:53 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,784,355 times

Advertisements

We have driver's licenses showing that we're allowed to drive, and that's a picture ID. Nobody complains about that, because with the high number of LICENSED idiots on the road right now, can you imagine the pandemonium that would ensue if ANYONE were allowed to drive a car?

Voter ID laws protect one of the most fundamental of American rights - the right to vote. At the dawn of America's time the war cry was "no taxation without representation" - well how can we be represented if the voting system allows people who aren't eligible to vote, to cast votes anyway?

They probably lean Democratic because most lazy people who don't want to do things the right way (i.e. get a job and earn their own money rather than bleeding productive people out of their rightfully earned money just to finance drug habits and the "raising" of half a dozen illegitimate children) tend to vote Democratic so that they can stay on the dole. In northwest PA, I had a neighbor who was the biggest redneck you could ever imagine. I figured this guy was also a rip-roaring conservative. Nope... a DEMOCRAT... and his explanation was simple - he and his fiancee' were on the dole, and they didn't want to lose that!

So, perhaps it would turn out to be true that the percentages of people voting Republican & Democratic would change if we implemented laws to determine voter eligibility... and it would probably skew more toward Republicans than it does currently. That would show that the people who are truly allowed to vote tend to vote more Republican than the current figures seem to depict. If the people who are allowed to vote prefer Republicans, then all of you who bemoan how it would cause Democrats to lose votes are forgetting that this is a right of the people... and also that, apparently, Democrats really aren't as popular a choice amongst people who DO THE RIGHT THING than they appear to be.

If you don't support a national voter ID law, or a statewide voter ID law, tell me, from a Constitutional standpoint, why my Republican vote should be nullified by a Democratic vote from someone who has been dead for five years or from some illegal immigrant who is "illegal" for a reason, or from someone who manages to vote more than once, etc. Why should I lose my rights, or my voice, at the hands of someone who is not following the letter of the law in America? Don't just go crying with bleeding-heart liberal stories about how it's expensive or Democrats would get voted out of office or whatever. Let's talk CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS and what IS / IS NOT LEGAL here. If the playing field has to be unlevel in order for liberals to get elected, that ought to tell you something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 06:36 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,392,194 times
I'm a Democrat and am socially liberal when it comes to many things but this is not one of them.

If you cannot produce a valid state photo ID then you will not be able to vote period.
I find it both disgusting and deplorable that there are those that are illegally here that have been able to vote in local, state and national elections in the past.

Yes there are those that are Democrat, love guns, support the 2nd amendment and demand militarization of our southern border.

I'm one of them.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:30 PM

14 posts, read 19,937 times
This has nothing to do with minorities. The sole purpose is to reduce voter fraud. Period. Every illegitimate vote disenfranchises you. So, how do you feel about having your vote thrown out? I don't like it, and for that reason I support voter ID.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:37 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,202,303 times
I am a registered Independent and support voter registration. One illegally cast vote could nullify my vote. So, why would anybody not support voter ID?

It just seems to me that we are very quick to give our Country away. We do not want to protect the legal citizens. If we are going to give everything away; why are we not given a choice on who we want to give it to? Just make sure that we produce the right documentation when we make that choice!

Old 10-12-2013, 07:45 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,694,572 times
You know, I like what I said a year and a half ago so much I'm just going to post it again down here since someone has seen fit to bump this thread:

If you think nothing can go wrong with this, that it won't disenfranchise people, that it's not a hardship to get an ID, etc, you should be very thankful of your relatively easy and trouble-free life.

Since this doesn't solve any actual existing problem, it's really just a game that makes people feel better at the expense of making things extra difficult for the less fortunate.

That is still the long and short of it.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:37 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,144,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
If you think nothing can go wrong with this, that it won't disenfranchise people, that it's not a hardship to get an ID, etc, you should be very thankful of your relatively easy and trouble-free life.

Here's the minimal requirements for voting ID that is good for ten years if you don't have a BC.

Quote:
Persons who want the new Department of State Voter ID will need to provide their
  • Name
  • Address
  • Date of Birth
  • Social Security number (If the customer has been issued an SSN)
  • County
  • Previous name and/or address if changed in the past 12 months.
The applicant must fill out a Department of State application form and sign an oath/affirmation that they are a registered voter and have no other form of identification that can be used for voting. While the person waits, staff at the Driver License Center will contact the Department of State to validate that the person is registered to vote. Once verified, the person will receive the free Voter ID, which is only valid for voting and will be good for 10 years.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:41 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,694,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Here's the minimal requirements for voting ID that is good for ten years if you don't have a BC.
If you find it easy to get to the place to get said ID, then you should be very thankful of your easy and trouble-free life.

It also doesn't change how much it is a waste of money solution in search of a problem that doesn't exist.

Right now they're wasting a $1 million advertising this law for this election even though it's still tied up in court and ID is not required. Happened last election too. A lot of money wasted so far on this non-problem.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:24 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,144,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
If you find it easy to get to the place to get said ID, then you should be very thankful of your easy and trouble-free life.
Greg going to the DMV onec every 4 to 10 years is not a burden.

Quote:
It also doesn't change how much it is a waste of money solution in search of a problem that doesn't exist.
Specifically how many fraudulent votes were cast in this last election this would have prevented? You don't know and neither do I. Voter fraud is not a crime where you have dead body and know a crime was committed. We know it exists, the extent of it is unknown

When you have instances where a poll worker voted 5 times (and I'll note there was 2 others convicted of same crime and 2 others awaiting trial in same county), a Florida county where 100 people were found to be illegally registered and many had voted where a news station simply compared voter registrations to jury duty forms and an estimated 24 million invalid or significantly inaccurate voter registrations.... We know the potential is enormous, that is undeniable.

If took the amount of fraudulent votes cast during the 2000 Florida election and subtracted them Bush's and Gores totals does Gore win? That's a plausible scenario.

Voter ID is the one step in correcting these issues, it can't be the last step and fraud with absentee ballots needs to be looked at next.

Quote:
Right now they're wasting a $1 million advertising this law for this election even though it's still tied up in court and ID is not required. Happened last election too. A lot of money wasted so far on this non-problem.
I'd agree it was a waste considering the media coverage but if they had not spent that money you or some smart ass lawyer would be complaining they didn't try and inform the public.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:41 AM

7,288 posts, read 10,631,652 times
I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with implementing voter ID, so long as the state provides all necessary resources free of charge. Otherwise, you'd be ignorant and naive to suggest there is not an impact based on class.

However, I also question the motives of those in charge leading this effort in terms of the timing and the confusion with which it was initially implemented. Let's also not act like this was not based on another underlying effort to create difficulties for some people to vote -- obviously that was a consideration for some back-room political strategists.

I'd just like to know the answer to one question: why does this issue receive attention from the legislature, as opposed to critical funding issues for transportation or trying to foster a better economy, for example?

It's ludicrous, really, to think this is one of Pennsylvania's most pressing issues.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:47 AM

4,044 posts, read 2,393,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with implementing voter ID, so long as the state provides all necessary resources free of charge. Otherwise, you'd be ignorant and naive to suggest there is not an impact based on class.

However, I also question the motives of those in charge leading this effort in terms of the timing and the confusion with which it was initially implemented. Let's also not act like this was not based on another underlying effort to create difficulties for some people to vote -- obviously that was a consideration for some back-room political strategists.

I'd just like to know the answer to one question: why does this issue receive attention from the legislature, as opposed to critical funding issues for transportation or trying to foster a better economy, for example?

It's ludicrous, really, to think this is one of Pennsylvania's most pressing issues.
I agree with this^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania