Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 12:18 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,131,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
... and does not live in an area of public transportation.
That pretty much kills the argument about it be targeted at minorities doesn't it?

Quote:
The other reason that changed my mind was the simple fact that voter id is just not necessary Pennsylvania admits it: no voter fraud problem - The Plum Line - The Washington Post
Again, this was a stipulation before the case began and is a standard procedure so each side knows what evidence the other is going to present so they can prepare for the case. Presenting that evidence will not help the states case so they won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Even if there are a few random cases of people being completely tied up in bed,...
If they are tied up in bed then most likely they will be in an elderly home which issues an ID that can be used to vote.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:54 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,569,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That pretty much kills the argument about it be targeted at minorities doesn't it?

Again, this was a stipulation before the case began and is a standard procedure so each side knows what evidence the other is going to present so they can prepare for the case. Presenting that evidence will not help the states case so they won't.
I didn't say anything about minorities. Even though most people I know drive and have proper id, apparently there are many people that don't. The government of Pennsylvania acknowledges that fact.

What is the reason for adding an extra layer to vote if there are ZERO cases of voter fraud? Guess it doesn't really matter since it was decided in August not to enforce it.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I didn't say anything about minorities.
I didn't mean to imply you did but that is the argument being made by many.

Quote:
What is the reason for adding an extra layer to vote if there are ZERO cases of voter fraud?
Because there hasn't been zero cases of voter fraud. Again that statement is just a stipulation that the state will be presenting no evidence, it neither helps nor hurts their case as it's irrelevant.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:34 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,701,973 times
Quote:
I didn't say anything about minorities. Even though most people I know drive and have proper id, apparently there are many people that don't. The government of Pennsylvania acknowledges that fact.

What is the reason for adding an extra layer to vote if there are ZERO cases of voter fraud? Guess it doesn't really matter since it was decided in August not to enforce it.
Interestingly enough to even register to vote you have to stumble down to the courthouse or post office or other government organization to make that happen.

I just don't buy these sob stories of hundreds of thousands of people or more that don't have some sort of ID and can't take the time to get one either.

Are there really ZERO cases of voter fraud? I don't believe that. There were precincts in Philadelphia that voted 100% for Barack Obama and not even Saddam Hussein ever registered that level of enthusiasm in his elections in Iraq.

Even if someone says there has never, ever, never, ever, never, never, ever been one case of voter fraud in PA, there is still no problem with people having to verify their identity so our voter system remains secure and intact from fraud.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-15-2013 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: fixed typo

Old 10-15-2013, 05:54 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,428,745 times
Quote:
Interestingly enough to even register to vote you have to stumble down to the courthouse or post office or other government organization to make that happen.
No you don't. All you have to do is obtain a voter registration form (local voter services office can mail it to you), fill it out, and mail it back in...via your own mailbox.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:12 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,428,745 times
Quote:
Let's try to keep this conversation PA centered please.

I have to say that when this first came up last year I did feel that it was not a big deal to require voter id. However, after listening to both sides of the argument, I changed my mind. The people I want to protect from disenfranchisement are the elderly. Meet The 'Super Voters' Who Could Be Disenfranchised By Pa. Voter ID Law I've been spending a lot of time with my elderly mother lately since my father passed away and I've seen just how hard it is for her to get around. She will be voting by absentee ballot because she can't stand for long. As easy as it is for us able bodied adults to hop in our cars and drive to wherever we want, it can be extremely difficult for someone that does not drive and does not live in an area of public transportation.

The other reason that changed my mind was the simple fact that voter id is just not necessary Pennsylvania admits it: no voter fraud problem - The Plum Line - The Washington Post
If you're an elderly person who no longer has a drivers license, it can be very difficult to get to the DMV to obtain a state photo ID:

Quote:
It is undisputed that there are only 71 PennDOT facilities statewide that offer free voter IDs.

Nine counties have no PennDOT facility that offers voter IDs.

Another 13 counties have a facility that is open only one day a week.

Another nine counties have a facility that is open two days a week.

Less than half of PennDOT facilities are open five days per week, and even for those locations that are 24 open five days a week, some do not have the capacity to issue voter IDs on each day. This is because both the Driver License Center and the Photo Center must be open at the same time in order to get a voter ID.
http://www.pilcop.org/wp-content/upl...Injunction.pdf

Old 10-15-2013, 08:26 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,914,631 times
Quote:
Yes it's amazing all these people can hit Wal mart with their EBT cards and tool around doing whatever but somehow they either have a certain color of their skin that makes them dumb and useless(so they say in the disenfranchise argument) or they are rapt with a disability that keeps them homebound from doing anything useful.

To me this is why we not only need VOTER ID but also POLL TAXES.

I don't think it's unreasonable to present ID to prove your identity when doing something so central to this country such as voting. All the screaming meemies that have railed about being disenfranchised have yet to present a case of where this is some massive hardship. These people can tootle to the country assistance office so easily yet getting an ID is so hard? Sure. The only people being disenfranchised are those committing voter fraud or are ineligible to vote such as being dead or illegal.

We also need Poll Taxes. We have too many lazy cow parasites eating this country alive one mooch at a time and they vote themselves money from the public coffers. I think people need to have some skin in the game otherwise they have no appreciation for the sacrifice others make for them to be lazy bums and a Poll Tax will help clean up that mess from the moochers.
"These people..." Wow. Thankfully, I we have opposite opinions.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:28 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,914,631 times
Quote:

Are there really ZERO cases of voter fraud? I don't believe that. There were precincts in Philadelphia that voted 100% for Barack Obama and not even Saddam Hussein ever registered that level of enthusiasm in his elections in Iraq.
Incorrect. Last time I voted, it was in a church. When I lived in NJ, it was the local High School, which I guess is technically a government organization.

Also, links to documented cases of voter fraud? The NSA listens to every phone call you make, and reads all emails, yet there is voter fraud going on?

Old 10-15-2013, 09:10 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,701,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
No you don't. All you have to do is obtain a voter registration form (local voter services office can mail it to you), fill it out, and mail it back in...via your own mailbox.
I'm aware of that, but you have to buy the stamp and you've got to walk it down to your mailbox.

Again, all a bunch of excuses. If people are that out of it we don't need them voting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania