U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 08:46 AM

393 posts, read 1,468,512 times

Advertisements

Turbo

Heh-heh...my wife says I'm too much of a curmudgeon.

The West Milton, Milton, and Lewisburg area are my old stomping grounds.
I recall West Milton as being a quiet and friendly small town. I know a lot new housing developments have been built since, so it have went through a major metamorphesis. It was kind of odd how they decided what school district to send the kids to. They had their choice between Lewisburg or Milton. I remember a lot of kids would switch to Milton from Lewisburg because of the elitism. Yep, Lewisburg was the same way several decades ago. I can only imagine it has gotten worse.

I remember Lynns Market. Back in the mid '70s, my fishing buddies and I would stop in to buy chicken livers on our way to Hoover's Landing. We go there to fish for big channel cats.

I don't remember any of the Doctors. Aldis is like going back in time when you look at your register receipt. Most of the stuff we bought there is of high quality too. They have some great deals, especially their cereal prices. there's is noting wrong with that place at all. There's rumours that everything is out of datebut thar is nonsense. You have to go to K & L in Middleburg to buy the out of date stuff. arrghhh.

I used to avoid this area like the plague because of the traffic circle. Luckily, they were finished with the new road design just a few months before I moved down here. I worked in Lewisburg so I would of had to contend with that daily. That old circle was awful and a terrible design.

I think the Daily Item is for sale. The WSJ owns it now, and I hope someone buys it who will return it to the Item of old. That paper certainly has an 'in your face' agenda, no doubt about it. For one thing, they helped to get outdoor burning banned in a lot of the area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2006, 02:50 PM

203 posts, read 1,217,703 times
Thank god for the outdoor ban on burning. My point is that- Weis, well, noting happens here w/o their blessing. They fought Giant coming in.

1/2 of Milton was wiped out in the 72 flood. Thats why it seems lopsided.
They simply never rebuildt.

The traffic circle- what was teh story there? the lady refused to sell? i remember the place looking like it was sinking. many of sunburies problems are self imposed. i loved the mist from teh river on a summers eve.

The chiropractor I mentioned was son of teh dr - i want to say snyder county chiropractors... anyhow- 3 years ago, he ODed on herione. they charged the kid that supplied him with murder. teh dentist also sadly took on a drug problem. lost everything. left area.

3rd and market in sunbury has a bulk store. i buy poppy seeds, sesemi seeds, spices at great prices.

im curious, was there ever actually a "lynn" ?? lol

lewisburg has been investing in infastructrure such as even hospital.

we no longer have a busline here.

people in a small town can hold a grudge for 12+ years. amzing how that goes.

taxes are creeping up in snyder and union counties.... it is getting scarey.

roger

Old 12-01-2006, 02:54 PM

Milton lost ALOT of jobs too.

Im always cautious what i say in public here- cos teh person talked about- thier causin or neighbor could be listening to teh whole speil. bamn- 12 year grudge.

12 year grudges are better then drive by shootings which is what i experienced growing up in Chicago.

never again.
ill never live in any city.

Old 12-03-2006, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboredcart View Post
Milton lost ALOT of jobs too.

Im always cautious what i say in public here- cos teh person talked about- thier causin or neighbor could be listening to teh whole speil. bamn- 12 year grudge.

12 year grudges are better then drive by shootings which is what i experienced growing up in Chicago.

never again.
ill never live in any city.
Indeed, Milton has been decimated by factory closings. What's left is just a skeleton of what it was, including Boy-Ar-Dees.

That was another thriving town that has gone through a terrible economic downturn. Believe it or not, Milton used to support two J.J. Newberry stores and a Grants. The '72 flood really did a number on the town.

Yes, the area folks seem to hold grudges forever. They can be way overly sensitive about things. As for myself, I don't much give a rat's butt.

My grandfather was from Chicago, but I never met him. he was shot down over the pacific during WWII.

Old 12-04-2006, 01:41 PM

259 posts, read 824,863 times
I grew up in the Watsontown/Turbotville area. Went to Warrior Run up until 4th grade then moved down to Mechanicsburg and started going to Cumberland Valley. The Lewisburg area is a very nice area to live in. Absolutely loved living in Watsontown. Almost all of our shopping was either done at the Lycoming Mall or in Lewisburg at Walmart. I was just home a couple weeks ago and was amazed at how much had changed in both South Central and North Central PA. Noticed a Sheetz on 15 and a couple other new places right next to it. I have family that still lives in the area. Dad lives in Mifflinburg, Grandparents live in Watsontown and outside of Turbotville. I miss the area a lot. There's definitely a lot to do in the area depending on what you're into. Where I live now is definitely a big change. Been living out here in South Dakota for 3 years now.

Old 12-26-2006, 06:45 PM

2 posts, read 7,152 times
Default Lewisburg is a great town

I went to high school in the Lewisburg area (just south) and Lewisburg is one of the best towns in PA. I now live in Manhattan. NO crime in Lewisburg, despite what people on here are saying. Great schools. Quick access to U.S. 15, with the Susquehanna Valley Mall and Harrisburg just south and Interstate 80 just north, with quick access to NYC. It's a beautiful Victorian town. You'll love it. There's a building boom in the Susquehanna Valley and a bypass freeway is currently in the works to help with traffic congestion further south around Selinsgrove, Sunbury and Northumberland. There are a wealth of new jobs springing up in the area. This area is very up and coming. I do recommend Lewisburg.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:08 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,449,370 times
An acquaintance of my husband's recently attended a Lewisburg School Board meeting. The school board was quite proud of themselves, stating that the Lewisburg schools turn out only kids who want to be doctors and lawyers and other "noble" professionals (my words, not theirs). My husband's acquaintance (a blue-collar worker) felt this was a bit "uppity" and spoke up, saying, "Well, that's great, but who's going to build their houses and fix their cars when they break down?"

Actually, Lewisburg is a great community, as Kevin said. However, crime is increasing, as it is in all areas, as our little "burgs" find that drugs are becoming more and more prevalent. Most of the crime to this point, however, involves college students at Bucknell University. Most of it is petty stuff, but there's the occasional rape, murder, etc. However, most of the "personal" crimes are perpetrated by someone known to the victim.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:37 PM

Speaking of west milton- Ild be cautious before sinking cash there.

1. there is a new townhouse area.
2. a junp in % of houses are for sale.

I dont know the details.....

Old 12-30-2006, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawne View Post
An acquaintance of my husband's recently attended a Lewisburg School Board meeting. The school board was quite proud of themselves, stating that the Lewisburg schools turn out only kids who want to be doctors and lawyers and other "noble" professionals (my words, not theirs). My husband's acquaintance (a blue-collar worker) felt this was a bit "uppity" and spoke up, saying, "Well, that's great, but who's going to build their houses and fix their cars when they break down?"

Actually, Lewisburg is a great community, as Kevin said. However, crime is increasing, as it is in all areas, as our little "burgs" find that drugs are becoming more and more prevalent. Most of the crime to this point, however, involves college students at Bucknell University. Most of it is petty stuff, but there's the occasional rape, murder, etc. However, most of the "personal" crimes are perpetrated by someone known to the victim.
About 14 years ago, a Lewisburg School board member made a remark which was something like...If your home isn't worth $150K and you don't earn $75K a year, then you shouldn't live in Lewisburg.

It made my skin crawl. I lived and worked there for almost 3 decades and I couldn't belive what I heard, but it was true.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:43 PM

A few in Lewisburg do thrive on the snob appeal.

I recall a scandal where they did not want their street lights imitated in other towns.

Along 15, drive back into the boonies. You will see dumps that I dont think have running water.

Our School board in Selinsgrove pulled a fast one 10 yrs ago. Man- screw the taxpayer....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania