U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 04:50 PM

393 posts, read 1,467,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboredcart View Post
A few in Lewisburg do thrive on the snob appeal.

I recall a scandal where they did not want their street lights imitated in other towns.

Along 15, drive back into the boonies. You will see dumps that I dont think have running water.

Our School board in Selinsgrove pulled a fast one 10 yrs ago. Man- screw the taxpayer....
You're exactly right. Those streetlights are the only type of that style in the USA. I guess they want to stay unique.

I know the area you're talking about. It's a huge contrast from Lewisburg.

Do you mean the 2 million to refurbish the football stadium and build all those soccer fields? I know about 15 or so years ago, they wanted to build a big field house with an olympic sized swimming pool. Fortunately, that idea didn't get very far.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2006, 05:38 PM

203 posts, read 1,216,875 times
the old board renewed an outragious teacher salary contract- snuck it in- did so in a way that denied the newly elected boards prerogative.

hence- the tax payer PAYSSSSS

Old 12-30-2006, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboredcart View Post
the old board renewed an outragious teacher salary contract- snuck it in- did so in a way that denied the newly elected boards prerogative.

hence- the tax payer PAYSSSSS
OK, I remember that now. Was that when Wenrich and his crew were voted out?

I doubt if it was because they were doing their best not to cave in to those monstrous raises and benefits that the teachers were demanding.

Since I've lived her ('87) my property taxes have gone from $189 to well over $1,000 and that's not counting the old occupational assessment tax that really went through the rough.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:06 PM

9 posts, read 27,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susquehannock View Post
I lived in Lewisburg for many years. I also worked in Lewisburg for 35 years and graduated from high school there.

I've seen it change tremendously in the last 30 years.

Lewisburg has the highest rated school system in the area according to the Standard and Poors school accessment survey. The school system has out performed all the neighboring school districts for decades. The high school has an enrollment number in the 600 student vicinity.

Crime has always been very low in Lewisburg. Most of the problems are
caused by Bucknell students who get pie-eyed and become rowdy as a result. However, a recent crackdown by the Lewisburg police dept. has calmed them down a bit.

Lewisburg also had a manufacturing base at one time of about 5 factories. They have all closed and moved overseas. The last one out was Pa. House Furniture in the spring of '05.

They're currently building a Wal*Mart Super Center which will replace the current Wal*Mart and Giant Markets is trying to obtain land to build a large grocery store just south of Lewisburg on Rt. 15. If shopping is your pleasure, is available to some extent. If you like malls, there are two very large ones in the vicinity. One is about 20 miles north and the other is about 15 miles to the south.

Market Street in Lewisburg is like traveling back in time with a very Victorian feel to it. It's mostly occupied by small craft and specialty shops. Wal*Mart drove most of the other retail store out of business.

Lewisburg is a 'Bedroom Community' now, occupied mostly by professional folks such as Bucknell Professors and Doctors et al from the town's hospital.

The taxes are extremely high and the people can be a bit snooty as times. About 15 years there was a big controversy about building a new high school. One of the school board members made the remark.."If you don't have a house worth $150K and make $75K a year, you shouldn't live in Lewisburg" (an example of the attitude some people have)

if you buy a house in town, the town council is very strict with what you can do with it. They cite 'historical reasons' and most improvements have to meet very strict criteria.

But, for the most part, it's a great town and I miss living there.

The public school system is fantastic but the taxes are the highest in the area.
do u remember a restaurant in sunbury back about 1972 called the spot? it was owned by a lady from lewisburg.her son was in the army with my brother.cant remember her name.his is jeff yost.age approx.53/54.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-town girl View Post
do u remember a restaurant in sunbury back about 1972 called the spot? it was owned by a lady from lewisburg.her son was in the army with my brother.cant remember her name.his is jeff yost.age approx.53/54.
I don't remember The Spot in Sunbury, but however I do remember the one that was in Lewisburg. It was on the north side of town on RT 15. It was in the vicinity where Wendy's is. I know several Yosts, but the name Jeff doesn't register in what's left of the old memory banks. File not found

Old 08-10-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
I don't remember The Spot in Sunbury, but however I do remember the one that was in Lewisburg. It was on the north side of town on RT 15. It was in the vicinity where Wendy's is. I know several Yosts, but the name Jeff doesn't register in what's left of the old memory banks. File not found
thank u so much.the lady that owned it was jeffs mother.i think he was an only child.he was at ft dix nj.in basic training.he had a big crush on my sister.my brother is trying 2 find his old army buddies.been looking a long time.found everyone but jeff. we knew him as cueball.my brother thinks he may have become a truck driver.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebThomasPhoto View Post
Megan,
Is he working at one of the PP&L plants? If so, which one? Lewisburg is a beautiful area, I don't think you would regret living there.
are u old enough to remember the spot restaurant in lewisburg.the lady that owned it had a son that was in basic training at ft.dix nj.with my brother in 1972.i dont remember her name but his name is jeff yost.his moms last name was different.maybe one of your parents or grandparents would know.jeff would be about 53/54 give or take a few yrs.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
thank u so much..my brother is trying 2 find his old army buddies.been looking a long time.found everyone but jeff. we knew him as cueball.my brother thinks he may have become a truck driver.
You're welcome

I have a suggestion. Try looking on the "Classmates" website. Just go the section that has the high school he graduated from and there's a possibly he may be registered. I found several old high school friends on there that I hadn't talked to in 30 years.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
You're welcome

I have a suggestion. Try looking on the "Classmates" website. Just go the section that has the high school he graduated from and there's a possibly he may be registered. I found several old high school friends on there that I hadn't talked to in 30 years.
i am not even sure he graduated but i will try it.dont i have to be one of his classmtes though?

Old 08-10-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
i am not even sure he graduated but i will try it.dont i have to be one of his classmtes though?
I just did a search on Classmates. There's a lot of Jeff Yosts, but none from PA who are registered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania