U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 02:41 PM

8 posts, read 28,054 times

Advertisements

Susquehannock is right on target. Folks not conscious 30 years ago cannot understand what Sunbury USED to be like.... it USED to be a prosperous Mayberry town... Safe, clean and bustling. Now... there are very few jobs, down town streets are where you see the mentally ill , the unemployed, the mispent youth and dispossessed trying to make a go of it. What you do not see are prosperous businesses, or any growth.
Folks moving from Philadelphia, or some other metro area - Sunbury may see quaint - you are seeing the remnants of a wonderful infrastructure. I've stayed in NY an NJ metro- todays Sunbury is an improvement over bad metro neighborhoods. But that is not saying much.
The fat lady has sung though. There are no new jobs comming in, and that is the bottom line for an economic future. The majority of new people are welfare, hud buyers and drug gansters who see a cheap place to make a base of operations. The amphitheatre is only going to bring in mobs for the occaisionaly trashing of the city and put some money in the pockets of a few.... it will not improve the towns people in general. It may be an effective advertisement for more of the gangsters to move into some cheap housing situations though! Sorry to be such a downer... If you don't believe me... simply search the history of the town and property values. Of COURSE a realtor may tell you Sunbury is on the UP and UP. He needs to turn a buck.. What is this info based on I ask? Nothing factual, I will bet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,412 times
I'm looking for information on the Selinsgrove School District and on the bypass for 11/15. Is that happening?

Old 02-23-2008, 09:12 AM

9 posts, read 27,036 times
i am not familiar with that.i live down below harrisburg.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:08 PM

518 posts, read 1,716,589 times
We are heading out next weekend to take a look around. I have a good impression of Lewisburg, but what about Winfield and Danville. Do either of these areas have a downtown? Of the three, which area would you invest in first, second and finally last.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:23 PM

372 posts, read 1,180,010 times
Default I can tell you about Danville...

Familymom, I can give you my firsthand impressions of Danville. Danville is a very nice town. Two grocery stores, several pharmacies and small speciality shops in the downtown can meet your basic needs, and you're within 15 -30 minutes of three different malls as well!

I lived in Danville for over 10 years and recently moved from there due to DH's new job, but have always found it to be a friendly, inviting area to live. (We probably would've stayed if Merck didn't sell the facility across the bridge in Riverside.) My house was a block away from both the Mahoning Creek and the Susquehanna River, and because of the levees, never worried about flooding (and on three occasions we had flooding in the towns around us - Bloomsburg was particularly hard hit; TPTB are still fighting over a levee system there). Lovely homes in historic districts close to downtown, and newer, bigger homes in various developments as you move outside the town give you a good variety of real estate to look at and choose from.

Crime was never a big issue; they did have a series of robberies last year, but that was the most I ever heard happening. Minor vandalism, kid-type stuff happened here and there, but nothing that ever got me worried.

Danville School District is a very strong school district, and I was very pleased at the education my children received there. (BTW it's also stellar in special education as well!!) Besides great PSSA scores, they offer a very wide range of courses at the high school level, and numerous Advanced Placement courses as well.

Nearby Bloomsburg does have more, in terms of entertainment, with the university and the Bloomsburg Theatre Ensemble, not to mention a cinema center, but it's a 15 minute drive there, so again, to me that wasn't a negative. Danville does have several special events, including the Iron Heritage Festival in the summer, two craft fairs in spring and fall, and the Halloween Parade every October.

In regards to real estate, I believe that Lewisburg probably has the higher pricing for housing, but Danville isn't too far behind there. They also have a lot of rental properties, mainly due to all the doctors from Geisinger doing rotations at the hospital.

Good luck with your search and I hope that, no matter what town you choose to call home, that you'll enjoy central PA!

Cathy

Old 02-23-2008, 04:10 PM

393 posts, read 1,467,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmega View Post
Susquehannock is right on target. Folks not conscious 30 years ago cannot understand what Sunbury USED to be like.... it USED to be a prosperous Mayberry town... Safe, clean and bustling. Now... there are very few jobs, down town streets are where you see the mentally ill , the unemployed, the mispent youth and dispossessed trying to make a go of it. What you do not see are prosperous businesses, or any growth.
Folks moving from Philadelphia, or some other metro area - Sunbury may see quaint - you are seeing the remnants of a wonderful infrastructure. I've stayed in NY an NJ metro- todays Sunbury is an improvement over bad metro neighborhoods. But that is not saying much.
The fat lady has sung though. There are no new jobs comming in, and that is the bottom line for an economic future. The majority of new people are welfare, hud buyers and drug gansters who see a cheap place to make a base of operations. The amphitheatre is only going to bring in mobs for the occaisionaly trashing of the city and put some money in the pockets of a few.... it will not improve the towns people in general. It may be an effective advertisement for more of the gangsters to move into some cheap housing situations though! Sorry to be such a downer... If you don't believe me... simply search the history of the town and property values. Of COURSE a realtor may tell you Sunbury is on the UP and UP. He needs to turn a buck.. What is this info based on I ask? Nothing factual, I will bet.
Excellent summary. I can't disagree with anything in the post. I just see it getting worse all the time.

Sunbury has seen its better days. Many of their problems have been caused by the Sunbury politicians.

I forgot!! They have a fairly new "Softball Hall of Fame."

Old 02-23-2008, 05:35 PM

372 posts, read 1,180,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susquehannock View Post
Excellent summary. I can't disagree with anything in the post. I just see it getting worse all the time.

Sunbury has seen its better days. Many of their problems have been caused by the Sunbury politicians.

I forgot!! They have a fairly new "Softball Hall of Fame."
Where is that? I can see them putting something like that there, what with the famous Sarah "Salty" Ferguson hailing from nearby Orangeville.

She came and spoke to the kids at the schools every year - great lady!

Cathy

Old 02-24-2008, 07:34 AM

393 posts, read 1,467,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyde View Post
Where is that? I can see them putting something like that there, what with the famous Sarah "Salty" Ferguson hailing from nearby Orangeville.

She came and spoke to the kids at the schools every year - great lady!

Cathy
It's in the building where Shipman's Garage was.

ASA of Pennsylvania Softball Hall of Fame

Old 02-25-2008, 10:24 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,445,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencurley22 View Post
I'm looking for information on the Selinsgrove School District and on the bypass for 11/15. Is that happening?
Hi, Jen

Selinsgrove is great. I love it here and would recommend it to anyone. I'm confident the bypass will happen - eventually. It's years in the future, though, as there never seems to be enough money to even get started. We have friends at church whose home was bought to be torn down for the bypass, so some plans are moving ahead at any rate.

Any other specific questions I can answer for you? Let me know here or PM me.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:10 PM

518 posts, read 1,716,589 times
Where exactly is this thru way going? Is there a site map? Would hate to move somewhere to find out there is an exit ramp in my side yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania