U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 01:03 PM

2 posts, read 14,053 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am in need of some fast help. My hubby has been offered a job at PPL and it starts in a month! We are looking into living in Lewisburg and i was wondering if anyone can help me with ifo on the town. School info, good or bad? Crime? Good place to raise children? Good ares and bad areas to live?
Also how is New Berlin? I have never heard of this town till today. Thank you all so much!!
Megan
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2006, 09:52 PM

2 posts, read 14,053 times
Anyone? anything? Any and all help would be great. I cant ever seen to find a rental there. I have no idea what we will do.

Old 09-18-2006, 06:31 AM

32,159 posts, read 74,087,209 times
Well, I can't help you out too much, since I've only ever been to Lewisburg once, but I can tell you that it would be a place I'd love to live! ;o) It has resisted urban sprawl (with the exception of a few housing developments in Buffalo Twp., East Buffalo Twp., and Kelly Twp.), so it still has a beautifully-restored Main Street with boutiques, restaurants, etc. The crime rate in town overall is negligible, but the community is also home to Bucknell University, which brings good to the town in the way of culture and nightlife, but bad in the way of noisy off-campus parties (just like every college campus in America I suppose).

As far as the public schools are concerned, somebody else will have to help you out there, as I'm not at all familiar with the system. You're not too far south of Muncy, in Lycoming County, or north of Selinsgrove, in Snyder County, where you'll find much of your "big-box" essentials, the Lycoming Mall, the Susquehanna Valley Mall, Lowe's, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, etc. State College, home to Penn State, is only about 45 minutes away if you ever want to see a Nittany Lions game or revisit your college-aged youth. ;o)

Overall, Lewisburg is your typical "quiet college town among farm fields." You should enjoy living there very much, but once again, I'm just going by what I see on the local news, from reading the local newspapers, and what I observed when visiting the town with my parents last year. Good luck!

Old 09-18-2006, 07:52 AM

221 posts, read 964,052 times
Lewisburg is lovely. It's home to Bucknell U- which brings a completely different social set to the area. It's a very expensive, private college. You will see 18-year-olds driving their Daddy's Benz's, next to the factory worker, with the three kids, in the old pick up truck. Interesting!

With the exception of the college kids (only b/c you know how upper-class youngsters, on their own with Daddy's credit card, can be), that area is very nice and safe for families. The schools are fine. Lots of outdoor rec opportunities in the area. PPL! You must take your kids to the Montour Preserve. They will love it!

Old 10-03-2006, 11:18 PM

203 posts, read 1,216,913 times
Lewsiburg, selinsgrove and warrior run watson town] are your best public school systems.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:49 AM

13 posts, read 71,942 times
Lewisburg is a beautiful college town. I drove through it many times on my way to williamsport. I'm not really sure on stats or anything like that, but it seems like an artsy town because of Bucknell I would say. If you're into division 1 sports, it's definitely a great place!

Old 10-05-2006, 02:23 PM

6 posts, read 39,525 times
Lewisburg is very charming, and Bucknell is an excellent university. I think both Lewisburg and Mifflinburg (which serves areas just west of Lewisburg) are good school districts. Danville is good, as well - Danville's between Lewisburg and Bloomsburg, and is home to Geisinger Medical Center. If you're interested in looking north, I grew up in Muncy, and have been back to visit many times. It's a really beautiful small town, about 25 minutes north of Lewisburg. Good school, local hospital. 15 minute drive to Montour Preserve (past a few Amish farms), as I recall, and you can see the towers from there. A few miles outside of town is the Lycoming Mall, which has your major stores, including a Sam's club, Pier1, JCPennys, Sears, Dicks sporting goods, Macy's, a movie multiplex, and a Borders bookstore (opening soon). On the south side of town (out of the flood area) houses range mostly between $100-200K.

Old 10-06-2006, 02:42 PM

203 posts, read 1,216,913 times
mifflinburg=- is abit hard to get somewhere fast.

in union county. lewisburg is the best zip code... period.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:32 PM

6 posts, read 36,762 times
Megan,
Is he working at one of the PP&L plants? If so, which one? Lewisburg is a beautiful area, I don't think you would regret living there.

Old 10-14-2006, 10:41 AM

6 posts, read 37,695 times
Default Lewisburg

Lewisburg is one of the nicest towns in that area. It is a college town containing Bucknell University so it does have cultural events to make life interesting. The schools in that area of PA are not bad.

One of the nicest things about living in Lewisburg is that the town is decorated beautifully at Christmas time. Shopping isn't bad. Crime was low. The price of houses not too bad if you aren't looking for an upscale dwelling. A farmers' market and state parks nearby, make this a centrally located, ideal town to raise children in.

Remember though, we are not talking Cosmopolitan. If you want that type of life then move closer to Philadelphia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania