Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2007, 07:02 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,695,826 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody! In general how is the current (Sept 2007) job market in Lancaster County Pa? Where do most of the people work or commute to who live in Lancaster County?

Are there many large corporations? Companies? When i was there i saw mostly small business and plenty of retail stores.

And finally what newspaper would one look in to view jobs in Lancaster? From what i saw online i didnt see much of a help wanted section.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 08:09 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Hello everybody! In general how is the current (Sept 2007) job market in Lancaster County Pa? Where do most of the people work or commute to who live in Lancaster County?
It's tight... last time I heard, unemployment was somewhere in the 2-3ish range. The area area is largely intertwined with harrisburg and york, so there's commuting between the 3 places as well as those that drive to baltimore and sometimes philly.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:54 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,092,454 times
Some of the bigger corporations headquartered in that area include:

Hershey's
Armstrong
Rite Aid

Old 09-16-2007, 11:20 PM

Default Jobs in Lancaster?

I could be wrong but i thought someone told me Hershey will have major layoffs in Pa to move out of the US.

And Armstrong supposely either just had many layoffs or will soon.

And where exactly in Lancaster County is the Rite Aid Headquarters?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Some of the bigger corporations headquartered in that area include:

Hershey's
Armstrong
Rite Aid

Old 09-17-2007, 07:13 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,342,112 times
I believe Rite Aid's headquarters is in the Harrisburg area. Hershey is building a new plant in Mexico and Armstrong is not doing very well. Johnson and Johnson and NTN in Lititz have been laying off for months. Lancaster County still has one of the lowest unemployment rate in the state. You may want to focus your job search on the small to medium companies. No matter what, be prepared to drive 25-35 minutes one way to work; that's the standard commute out here.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:40 PM

Default Lancaster losing jobs?

Thanks for the reply! But would those of you who currently reside in Lancaster County would you say that the Lancaster job growth is on the uprise or with Hershey and others laying off is Lancaster losing jobs? Are more & more large companies making Lancaster their base? Some tell me Lancaster has a low unemployment rate, yet others told me if you move to Lancaster you will likley have to travel out of the county for work.

Any info would be great!

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania