Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 12:22 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ker8 View Post
hahahahaha! Sorry, but you made me laugh when you said you wanted "well maintained roads in PA".
When measuring the smoothness of roads, an IRI of less than 60 is "excellent," and an IRI of 60 to 99 is "good." Pennsylvania's Interstates have an average IRI of 66, which is very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipticX View Post
I drove through some of PA and none of the roads compared to WNC disrepair. I was actually expecting crappy roads because some people on city-data forum complained about the bad PA roads, but I couldn't find them. Probably all relative.
You've just discovered one of Pennsylvania's worst habits: many people tend to exaggerate the bad. They do this in three ways:

1. Claiming that certain bad things are exclusive to Pennsylvania when they're not. Examples of this include bad drivers, bad service, political corruption, and instances of racism and prejudice.

2. Exaggerating the degree to which something is bad. Examples of this include crime, weather, property taxes and supermarket quality.

3. Believing that something that was bad x number of years ago can't possibly be good now. Examples of this include Pennsylvania's net domestic migration rate, the condition of the highways, and Pittsburgh's economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 08:51 AM

100 posts, read 317,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerK View Post
EclipticX, I know that at least in Corry (smaller town in Erie county) there is plenty of low-cost housing. Only problem is, like you said, jobs. Not many job opportunities in Corry itself. Many people who live here work in Erie (40 minute drive or so) or Warren, Meadville or Jamestown, NY (all within about 40 minute drive or so). Most jobs in Corry are either factory work, retail, or food service, it seems.

That dam you went to, near Warren, is probably the Kinzua Dam and that area is the Allegheny National Forest. Beautiful and excellent place for boating, fishing, hiking, camping, etc. In the winter there's lots of people doing ice climbing, cross-country skiing, snowmobiling, ice fishing etc. and there's an annual snow/ice sculpture event on the reservoir. Great place if you like the outdoors, and breathtaking in mid-late October.

Corry itself doesn't have a whole lot to offer in terms of entertainment. Small-town stuff. Some nice antique shops, a used bookstore, two or three unique restaurants, a few bars, a bowling alley, an inline skating rink, a couple cafe/coffee shops. Just enough that if you REALLY wanted to have a "night out" in Corry, you could. Oh and we have a really nice park in town, with woods and hiking trails and pavilions and a pond and playgrounds and stuff. Quite nice for such a little place.

But most people go up to Erie or Jamestown, N.Y., if they want more culture. Erie, despite what some people might tell you, is thriving culturally for its size. There are a few really nice and unique pubs up there, and they have a thriving theater company, and a small symphony orchestra. Oh, and a really, really nice Tinseltown movie theater with cheap ticket prices. Even in my 4 years of college in the Pittsburgh area I never saw a nicer movie theater than the Tinseltown in Erie. There are several colleges in Erie, including Gannon University and Penn State Behrend, so like most college towns it has some interesting things to do. If it weren't for the colleges being there, the city might be a little more humdrum.

Only thing is, inland Erie county and nearby parts of Crawford and Warren counties get HAMMERED by lake-effect snow. Corry's average annual snowfall usually falls between 100 to 200 inches of snow. So, if you move to the area...I hope you like snow. The city road crews are used to it and are very good about promptly cleaning the snow off the roads, so that isn't usually a big problem...just shoveling the snow off your own sidewalk/driveway can be a pain sometimes. I'd advise changing your tires to snow tires at the first sign of snow if you come to this area.
Very enlightening info.
Thanks! I like snow, but haven't lived in an area with big snows since I was a teenager. Western NC picks up genearally 12" to 20+" annually...more higher elevations and less when the winter season is boring like this recent winter season. Only a trace of snow fell at the Asheville regional airport and about 4" total where I live. Boone, NC usually does pretty good for being so far south.

100 to 200" is a lot! Must be very cloudy during the winter. I wonder if the Somerset/Johnstown area is as cloudy as NW PA.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
When measuring the smoothness of roads, an IRI of less than 60 is "excellent," and an IRI of 60 to 99 is "good." Pennsylvania's Interstates have an average IRI of 66, which is very good.

You've just discovered one of Pennsylvania's worst habits: many people tend to exaggerate the bad. They do this in three ways:

1. Claiming that certain bad things are exclusive to Pennsylvania when they're not. Examples of this include bad drivers, bad service, political corruption, and instances of racism and prejudice.

2. Exaggerating the degree to which something is bad. Examples of this include crime, weather, property taxes and supermarket quality.

3. Believing that something that was bad x number of years ago can't possibly be good now. Examples of this include Pennsylvania's net domestic migration rate, the condition of the highways, and Pittsburgh's economy.
That makes sense. The center and shoulder buzz lines on the roads of PA are a good safety feature, though I could see them loosening rocks out of tires.
Where I live(Asheville, NC area) some of rural roads are just awful. Probably the economy or maybe the counties are spending the money elsewhere on touristy areas or higher end affluent communities. There is huge income disparity in Asheville. Cost of rentals or mortgages are pretty high given low paying service type jobs. 9 buck/hr jobs just don't cut these days, especially where I live. Lot of retirees moving in because of sunny climate and mild winters. Getting packed though.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
The area immediately east of Somerset County surrounding Cumberland, MD (southern Bedford County PA, much of Allegany County MD, Mineral County WV) is about the driest area in three states. Hiking and fishing are big. Cumberland has much more history than present, rents are cheap (not yet affected by fracking boom) and MD roads are fairly well maintained. The local view of Baltimore and Montgomery/PG counties would seem very familiar to a former upstate New Yorker. Cumberland has basic shopping and healthcare. Snow is close by in Garrett County and the WV highlands. Winter access is moderate, perhaps better than WNC but not quite what it is in central NY.
MD/PA border area is pretty nice all around. I once stayed in Shippensburg down to Chambersburg, PA area. Seemed dry and very sunny. Reminded me of WNC-Asheville, NC. It was very warm, too, even at night. Nice actually for those that probably like seeing much winter weather.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:25 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
Chambersburg (believe it or not) was on the cusp of DC area exurban sprawl in the boom years. (Due to growth restrictions in MD's Washington County, developers moved north into Franklin County PA and south into Berkeley County WV.) I personally worked on plans for hundreds of housing units that got approved but not built.

Also monster warehouses still are springing up all along I-81 from Wilkes-Barre to Harrisonburg, with epicenter between Hagerstown and Harrisburg. Norfolk Southern Railway is investing millions in an intermodal terminal just south of Chambersburg which will surely spark more logistics centers filled with Chinese goods and emitting backup alarm noise and PM-10.

Bottom line, if one is moving away from sprawl Chambersburg might not be the best location in a few years.

In the meantime the Chambersburg public school just fired their basketball coach for taking the Lord's name in vain in the locker room.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:06 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Very enlightening info.
Thanks! I like snow, but haven't lived in an area with big snows since I was a teenager. Western NC picks up genearally 12" to 20+" annually...more higher elevations and less when the winter season is boring like this recent winter season. Only a trace of snow fell at the Asheville regional airport and about 4" total where I live. Boone, NC usually does pretty good for being so far south.

100 to 200" is a lot! Must be very cloudy during the winter. I wonder if the Somerset/Johnstown area is as cloudy as NW PA.
According to the first link, Corry averages 121.6" of annual snow while the second link says 135.7" of snow over 30 years.

Snowiest location ranked by highest annual average snowfall: Corry, northwestern Pennsylvania, 121.6"

Weather reports, weather forecasts, weather averages for Pennsylvania

Old 05-12-2012, 07:16 AM

231 posts, read 784,799 times
If you love snow, it's awesome. And like I said, the road crews are good about keeping on top of the situation so you rarely have to worry about driving around through feet of unplowed snow. Unless you live out in the country outside the city...most people who live in the rural countryside either put their own plows on the front of their vehicles or drive huge trucks.

For me, it's normal. I grew up here, so waking up to see 12+ inches of new snow from overnight is not cause for alarm at all. People not used to it sometimes automatically think that it makes every winter an unbearable torture fest. When all you really have to worry about is that you have good tires, and you might have to wake up a few minutes earlier to clean off your car (if you don't have a garage).

The snow seems to be the biggest reason people don't come to the area, because they assume it'll be too awful to deal with...but there's thousands of people who happily live here who beg to differ! And there's a certain amount of pride in telling people you went to work like normal and your town didn't shut down even though there's 4 feet of snow on the ground...heh.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
According to the first link, Corry averages 121.6" of annual snow while the second link says 135.7" of snow over 30 years.

Snowiest location ranked by highest annual average snowfall: Corry, northwestern Pennsylvania, 121.6"

Weather reports, weather forecasts, weather averages for Pennsylvania
I used to live east of Lake Ontario as a child/teen.
But have lived the last 20yrs in snow-less areas, minus minor snows in West NC. Winters in WNC can be very sunny. I actually prefer more snow, but like sun too.

I would like an area that gets a big storm, followed by a week or 2 of sunnier weather, followed by another Nor' easter or Ohio river or Appalachian runner storm.

Constant lake effect clouds in NW PA will probably keep the winters cloudier than southern PA.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerK View Post
If you love snow, it's awesome. And like I said, the road crews are good about keeping on top of the situation so you rarely have to worry about driving around through feet of unplowed snow. Unless you live out in the country outside the city...most people who live in the rural countryside either put their own plows on the front of their vehicles or drive huge trucks.

For me, it's normal. I grew up here, so waking up to see 12+ inches of new snow from overnight is not cause for alarm at all. People not used to it sometimes automatically think that it makes every winter an unbearable torture fest. When all you really have to worry about is that you have good tires, and you might have to wake up a few minutes earlier to clean off your car (if you don't have a garage).

The snow seems to be the biggest reason people don't come to the area, because they assume it'll be too awful to deal with...but there's thousands of people who happily live here who beg to differ! And there's a certain amount of pride in telling people you went to work like normal and your town didn't shut down even though there's 4 feet of snow on the ground...heh.
Only and inch or 2 shuts down my area because black ice forms at night as a consequence of daily snow melt. Ice storms do a good job of disabling the south too. We did get slammed by a 18" to 24" heavy wet snow storm back in December of 2009. Even some lightning during the snowstorm. It was awesome!

The storm was fun until the electricity went out Fortunately my little place had a small fireplace and I had a little wood lying around.

Most of locals complained about the storm. Most people in the south really do hate snow and cold weather. Their complaints get old after a while. I don't like cold and dry weather. I like it cold and snowy!

Old 05-12-2012, 11:42 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
I used to live east of Lake Ontario as a child/teen.
But have lived the last 20yrs in snow-less areas, minus minor snows in West NC. Winters in WNC can be very sunny. I actually prefer more snow, but like sun too.

I would like an area that gets a big storm, followed by a week or 2 of sunnier weather, followed by another Nor' easter or Ohio river or Appalachian runner storm.

Constant lake effect clouds in NW PA will probably keep the winters cloudier than southern PA.
I think most of Pennsylvania, Ohio and New York suffers from a lack of sunshine. This link might help some.

Days of Sunshine Per Year in Pennsylvania
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania