Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 10:34 AM

2 posts, read 3,563 times

Advertisements

Hello all. Im always on this forum searching, reading, researching, etc but I need a little more personal help. Hoping you guys can help me!
I am 29yrs, married, have 2 kids ages 11 & 5. We live in Brooklyn, Ny. I have lived here my entire life although we do travel to see family in Wilkes--Barre & The Poconos area about 3 times a year. currently live in a 2 bedroom apt & need more space. With the high rent prices in NY we cannot afford a larger apartment so we have finally decided to move to Pennsylvania. My husband wants to go more 'country' and likes the poconos area which is close to his dad but farther from NY. & I would like to be about 3 hrs away from NY, somewhere between 'country' & city like Wilkes-Barre or the Lehigh Valley (Allentown) I have never been to allentown but I do Know a few people that have moved there & like it there. Our main concern would be good schools, also it is important to live somewhere with different nationalities. We are a mixed family, I am Hispanic & my husband black. Please do not be offended but I have heard to stay away from certain areas because they are either racist OR ghetto. I am leaving NY to get away from the "ghetto" & gunshots. Thanks all for your help.

When are you moving? We would like to move before august or the new school year starts

Where are you coming from? brooklyn ny

Why are you moving? we need more space, and a nice are to raise our kids

Where will you be working? I am a stay at home mom & the hubby is a independant contractor who travels back & forth to the west coast

Have you been here yet? Wilkes-barre yes, poconos yes, lehigh valley no

Will you buy or rent? we will rent for now

If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?

If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? a single family home, or a townhouse, we would prefer a rent of under $800 a mth which we have seen some places online for some very cheap prices

Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? walk up

Are you married or single? Do you have children? married, 2 kids

Do you prefer public or private schools? public
Do you have pets? we have a small dog but have family that will take him if need be
Do you want or need a yard? yard absolutely

Are you keeping a car? we have 2 cars

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? a little of both

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)- yes
Nightlife- im over the party scene
Train or subway stations- if possible for family to come visit

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? diverse would be great

Phillies, Pirates or Mets? none...im not into sports, & hubby is a yankees fan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 06:54 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,390,169 times
If your main concern is good schools, you are not likely to be able to stick to an $800 budget. The higher-priced apartments/homes are usually in the good school districts. Which, by the way, are all in the Lehigh Valley, not in the Poconos. Suggest you move your query to the Lehigh Valley section.

Good luck!

Old 05-09-2012, 07:26 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Unfortunately, that budget in the Lehigh Valley will only get you a home in a very bad section of Allentown. Allentown schools are some of the lowest rated in the state. Just match up the houses with the low prices with this: Lehigh Valley Crime Map: Police reports from Allentown, Easton, Bethlehem from The Morning Call

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:27 AM

2 posts, read 3,563 times
Thanks alot. My gut keeps telling me lean towards lehigh valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania