Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 07:25 PM

429 posts, read 719,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative36 View Post
Could someone that lives or has lived in Birdsboro give me some information about the town? I really like the area. I like all of the state parks in the area. I will be commuting from Birdsboro to Conshohocken.
I know some people who commute to Philadelphia from Birdsboro, but it is HARD. Can you leave for work about 5:30?

I am concerned about flooding. How much do I have to worry about flood damage? "Hundred-year" floods are happening more frequently lately. The Hurricane Agnes flood of '72 was the record-breaker and Rt. 724 flooded from the Schuylkill River overflowing its banks. If you are in a low area near Hay Creek you WILL get flooded every few years when several days of rain or a hurricane drops a load of water into Hay Creek. Stay high.

Are the roads cleared properly when it snows? Not bad. If you can get out to Route 724, that's a state road and it gets plowed quickly (If you live along Route 724, be prepared to move your vehicle because it is a snow emergency route.)

Are people nosey? I like my privacy. Some are, some aren't. People tend to do a nodding acquaintance for the first few months to see how you are, then move up to a wave and "How's it going?", then in a year maybe conversation. The area mostly has the reputation of being reserved. If, however, you are sunny and chatty, you will warm up the natives quicker.

Is there a downtown area and is it nice? This is a small town. There is a nice library, a pretty good community theater (Alpha Omega), two gas stations (one sells bait), a laundromat, a couple dentists, a couple doctors, an optometrist, one Chinese take-out spot, a Rita's water ice (seasonally), 5 or 6 churches, 4 family pizza shops (that is to say: not chains), 3 or 4 parks (one has 2 tennis courts), a youth baseball field with lights, a Legion baseball field without lights, and a state-certified "exceptional quality" stream that is stocked with trout every Spring that runs right through town; there is a feed mill that makes pet feed, bird seed and flour as well as providing for your equine needs. Some small businesses otherwise.

Is there crime like burglaries and auto theft? I know Reading is near by? Reading could be the moon for as much as some people go to Reading. I work in Reading and have no problem with going to Reading for a night out, but some suburban/rural folks WILL. NOT. GO. INTO. READING. AT. ALL. There are some kids who bash mailboxes now and again, and I would not leave goodies in an unlocked car, but, no, not much crime.

Is there a shopping area? Gym? Restaurants? Cross the Route 82 bridge and go to Route 422 in Exeter Township and within 3 miles you'll find everything: Valhalla gym, strip malls with Target, Super Walmart, Boscov's, Redner's, Giant, a couple dozen places to eat (both chain and local).

Also is the train that goes through the town. Is that often and noisy? It's a freight and it's not too bad. On the west end of town I understand there is a bit of noise around 6pm as they couple the freight cars that were filled at the Dyer's quarry during the day.

PA*DCNR*-*French Creek State Park

Tell me about the state parks in the area. Check out the link to French Creek State Park. Go south on Chestnut Street past Daniel Boone High School and Immaculate Conception Elementary school, and in about 4 miles you are in the forest. And it is wonderful!

Can't think of anything else right now. Thanks.
The quality of life is good in this section of Berks County, but a commute to Conshy is an hour plus in drive time; 50 minutes otherwise.

Life is about choices, isn't it? Good luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 10:55 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
My take on Birdsboro. Its a bedroom community although at one time it did have quiet a big steel industry. No downtown and no shopping although you have plenty of shopping less than 10 minutes away( Exeter) or maybe 15 to 20 minutes( Wyomissing or Coventry Mall along 422). Some local eateries are pretty well regarded, sandwich shop places, not chain fast food.
Flooding can be a major pain every few years. The water supply gets damaged or low lying areas along the river or Hay Creek flood.
Local crime is petty like vandalism and pot growing and theft in cars, etc. Reading crime does not spill over in the surrounding areas, except for a trend of lowlifes to target isolated rural areas for break ins.
You get some new people moving in from eastern areas like the closer Philly burbs, New Jersey, even some spanish. It takes them all a while to adjust but I wouldn't call them unfriendly. A little uptight, yes, but not unfriendly. The locals are yokels, also not unfriendly.
You have some great parks in the area. Monocacy Hill, The Thun Trail along the Schuylkill, Hopewell park, Scotts Run and the Hay Creek natural area. We used to walk our dog along the Hay Creek road but rains washed away the old bridges and I can't carry a small dog through a creek or across a zip line.
Birdsboro is not a great area but not a bad one, either. Its kind of a backwater.
The train going by is for the quarry( near Hay Creek) or I think to the Titus generating station along the Schuylkill close to Reading.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:31 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,692,333 times
Here are some answers from someone who has lived there for about 20 years:

I am concerned about flooding. How much do I have to worry about flood damage?

Very few sections of Birdsboro need to worry about flooding. Only the homes along the creek have had an issue over the past 20 years.

Are the roads cleared properly when it snows?

Roads are cleared on the major streets immediately, and within the borough within 24 hours.

Are people nosey? I like my privacy.

I can't speak for the whole town, but in my area, most people are very good neighbors. It's a bedroom community.

Is there a downtown area and is it nice?

It's a bedroom community, and has little to offer in the way of a "downtown". There are two gas stations and five itialian eateries. There are three small parks in the borough as well.

Is there crime like burglaries and auto theft? I know Reading is near by?

There are very few issues with burglaries here, but I do hear about one occassionally.

Is there a shopping area? Gym? Restuarants?

No shopping area. There is a gym and weightlifting area at the YMCA. We have 5 local itialian eateries.

Also is the train that goes through the town. Is that often and noisy?

The train comes to Brown's Feed Mill several times a week. The horn is loud, but lasts only a few seconds, and is always during business hours.

Tell me about the state parks in the area.

French Creek State Park is ten minutes away. It has MANY hiking trails, Frisbee Golf, Swiming, Camping, Fishing, and boating.

Hope this was helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania