Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 01:27 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,032,431 times

Advertisements

I'm considering taking advantage of a good job opportunity, and I have the choice to applying in Erie or York, PA. I'm a mid 20s, young professional, gay male. I've been living in Pittsburgh the last five years and I am seeking a smaller, more walkable (would be awesome to walk to work), and laid-back city.

What I love about Erie is Presque Isle and Lake Erie. I also think the city has a lot of rust-belt character, which I love. What's drawing me to York is the East Coast style of historic architecture (downtown York reminds me of Rittenhouse Square in Philly), without the East Coast price tag or big-city stress.

I also like that I was able to walk all over both York and Erie without using a car.

York's proximity to other cities that I enjoy, such as Gettysburg, Baltimore, Philly, Harrisburg, Lancaster, and NYC is also a big plus. However, I am also attracted somehow to the relative seclusion of Erie, and the proximity to Buffalo, one of my favorite cities.

So, I am torn. Help me decide. Stay where I'm at, or move to Erie or York?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 05:47 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,825,853 times
Pittsburgh

Old 06-02-2012, 07:33 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Jonathon, you seem to be rather nomadic by nature, and, as such, I'd encourage you to spread your wings a bit, leave Pittsburgh for a while, and explore new options. Why not live in BOTH Erie AND York at separate times during your life? I'd probably choose York first, as I foresee the cost-of-living there rising sooner than the cost-of-living in Erie given the locations of both cities. I also see Erie as being good as a "stepping stone" back to the Pittsburgh area if you ever long for the Steel City again. I just worry if you'll be able to afford a home again back in the urban core of Pittsburgh because I foresee the cost of housing here rising dramatically over the next decade.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:43 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,813,981 times
Well you seem to have a good grasp of the tradeoffs. York is probably sunnier with warmer winters and hotter summers.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:18 PM

I am nomadic by nature. Nothing against Pittsburgh. I'm just thinking I might enjoy a smaller (but still old and urban) city at this point in my life -- something where I can afford to buy in the core of the city and walk to work, walk downtown, etc. That would certainly be possible in both Erie and York (among some other PA cities).

Last edited by PreservationPioneer; 06-02-2012 at 08:00 PM..

Old 06-02-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I just worry if you'll be able to afford a home again back in the urban core of Pittsburgh because I foresee the cost of housing here rising dramatically over the next decade.
It has already happened. Actually, even when I first started looking for homes back in 2009, it had happened, which is why I ended up buying in an inner suburb.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:41 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I'm considering taking advantage of a good job opportunity, and I have the choice to applying in Erie or York, PA. I'm a mid 20s, young professional, gay male. I've been living in Pittsburgh the last five years and I am seeking a smaller, more walkable (would be awesome to walk to work), and laid-back city.

What I love about Erie is Presque Isle and Lake Erie. I also think the city has a lot of rust-belt character, which I love. What's drawing me to York is the East Coast style of historic architecture (downtown York reminds me of Rittenhouse Square in Philly), without the East Coast price tag or big-city stress.

I also like that I was able to walk all over both York and Erie without using a car.

York's proximity to other cities that I enjoy, such as Gettysburg, Baltimore, Philly, Harrisburg, Lancaster, and NYC is also a big plus. However, I am also attracted somehow to the relative seclusion of Erie, and the proximity to Buffalo, one of my favorite cities.

So, I am torn. Help me decide. Stay where I'm at, or move to Erie or York?
I thought you just bought a house?

Old 06-03-2012, 07:11 AM

That fell through after the home inspection was an absolute disaster.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:00 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
That fell through after the home inspection was an absolute disaster.
This might scare you, but we have a bit in common LOL! I am originally from Erie, and also love Buffalo. We spent most of the time in our college years hanging out in the Buffalo/Niagara Falls area.

You've got the description of both areas down pat. There are some SCREAMING deals on homes in good sections of the city, particularly on the west side of the city. You'll be boiled over in disbelief at drink specials at area bars and dinning establishments.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:49 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,225,216 times
I lived in Erie for a couple years, in an apartment on West 6th St. at Walnut. We briefly considered buying a house there but wanted to return to Pittsburgh; in 2007, anyway, there were a lot of good deals around. We looked at a relatively huge place on West 10th near Chesnut or something. The house had an elevator (no longer working, of course) from the ground to reach the third floor. It was not in great condition, but it wasn't in terrible shape, either. It looked respectable enough, if fallen a long way from its former glory. $50,000.

At the time, the sentiment from the locals was that they all wanted to live way out in Fairview or somewhere even farther, and the less time they spent in big city Erie the better and safer for them. Not sure if the sentiment has changed and housing prices along with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania