Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 07:32 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,825,853 times

Advertisements

Emporium (pop. 2,073) is the seat of Cameron County (pop. 5,085) in north-central Pennsylvania. As Cameron County's only real town (the other borough, Driftwood, was an ephemeral lumber boomtown whose population is now 67), almost all of Cameron County's residents live in the Emporium area.

As of Census 2010, Cameron is Pennsylvania's least populous county, being surpassed by previous titleholder Forest County (which experienced 50% population growth due to the construction of a prison... Forest most likely has the smallest population of non-incarcerated Pennsylvanians). Cameron is an extremely rugged county whose territory is almost entirely the domain of Elk State Forest. Cameron County suffered Pennsylvania's steepest population loss from 2000-2010 at over 14%. It has consistently held PA's highest unemployment rate during this recession/pseudo-recovery. The local economy, almost entirely reliant on metals manufacturing, has been battered in recent years.

One of Pennsylvania's most remote towns, Emporium residents must travel long distances through deep valleys and dense woods to reach the neighboring small towns. Incorporated as a borough in 1864, Emporium initially grew as a center of lumbering and dynamite manufacturing. In 1924, Sylvania was founded in Emporium (now Osram Sylvania, a subsidiary of Siemens AG) whose radio receiving tube innovation fueled Emporium's prosperity during the mid-20th century. During WW2, Emporium was known as Girls Town, as young women from throughout the region came to Sylvania's Emporium facility to manufacture tubes, lamps and defense guidance systems. The plant was shuttered in the 1960s. The void was filled by powdered metals factories, which make parts for automobiles... a struggling domestic industry whose ripple effects have been felt severely in Emporium.

the old Sylvania plant

Cameron County Courthouse

key scenes of Unstoppable were filmed on rails near Emporium

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 09:37 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,781,397 times
The Richardsonian Queen Anne (???) with the tower and wraparound porch executed in concrete block is pretty interesting. I actually drove through Emporium a couple of days ago (probably get there once every five years or so), wish I had known then to look out for that one.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:25 PM

30,492 posts, read 16,202,768 times
I took one of those where-shoul-I-live tests a few yrs ago. Emporium was my top choice.

Nice pctures, Evergray.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:16 AM

969 posts, read 2,071,951 times
One of my favorite PA mountain towns, love driving that area, especially October. Going through Emporium, I've always been struck and amused by that Italian ice cream shop building shown in one of your photos... very peculiar and interesting.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:28 PM

479 posts, read 1,236,576 times
Lovely old homes and surroundings!

Old 06-16-2012, 08:48 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,261,600 times
I might ride that area soon. Any good places to stay overnight?

Old 03-02-2013, 02:51 PM

3 posts, read 15,597 times
I was born in Emporium in 1946 and now live in Florida but we take our Motor Home back and stay at Sizerville State Park every chance we get. The country is second to none andthe living is easy. I would move back in a New York second but my wife would not want to leave the kids,grand kids & great grand kids. Maybe some day during the summer and fall season. I personaly do not need all of the shopping anymore, besides Amazon can send me anything I may need. They still have a post office in town.

JTN66

Old 03-02-2013, 08:41 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,261,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I might ride that area soon. Any good places to stay overnight?
Forgot I had a post in this thread. Matter of fact I DID make it there a few months after that post. Didn't see much of the town but I did stop long enough to snap this picture. Emporium sits on Rt. 120 between Lock Haven and St. Marys. It was a blast of a ride. Didn't see much lodging in Emporium so stayed in St. Marys.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 13,390 times
Sylvania actually closed in the 1980's. I am not sure what production was like through the 1970's and '80s but I know they were doing something because my dad went to work there every day.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:57 PM

1 posts, read 12,561 times
Someone took some very nice pictures, makes the town look quite alluring. I did grow up in Emporium, and don't live far from there now. I don't think it's changed too much over the years -other than the 'little Italian ice cream shop' mentioned here was a booming business back in the day and had the best hoagies anywhere around. We get ours in St. Marys now, but once upon a time Luigi's was pretty infamous. So was the original Cabin Kitchen, when Maglicio's had it. My mom always talked about working there making pies with Lena M. I see that business is for sale now too. One thing I didn't see in these pictures, are all the murals of prominant Cameron County citizens. There is some interesting history there, and the murals are quite nice...

i
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania