Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 07:27 PM

9 posts, read 70,104 times

Advertisements

Thanks your a blessing talk2u
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 07:28 PM

Thanks Rockky, your a blessing as well....you guys enjoy your weekend

Old 09-28-2007, 08:10 PM

263 posts, read 1,097,506 times
You do the same!!!!

Old 10-04-2007, 06:52 PM

23 posts, read 78,142 times
This forum has been so informative for me. I will be relocating to York as well. My fiance is from Baltimore and I am from NYC. We have concerns regarding racism. He does more than I do .He actually has his own business and I will have to be the one to search for a job to which I dont think would be a problem Im in the IT field. Were looking at 2 different locations North York and Red Lion. The hospitality in North York was great. However in Red Lion I cant really tell. We will be doing more research. Again thank you so much!!

Old 10-04-2007, 06:59 PM

1,649 posts, read 5,002,894 times
Booarisky, I would like to tell you that Red Lion will be welcoming to you. (I don't know what nationality/race you may be.) In general I think you will be OK. However, I need to be honest in my opinion. The area my not be the most progressive and understanding section of York County.

I lived in the Red Lion area for over 20 years. People of color had problems. Not all....not all the time....but it's there. I've been gone from there for nearly eight years. I hope things are improving with the younger generation.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:14 PM

23 posts, read 78,142 times
Thank you Rockky for your honesty. I am African-American so I guess I will just have to feel it out. situations have been known to change in a matter of time. Actually the subdivision is Taylor Estates and they seem to be building a lot of new homes in that area. We will be making our pick this weekend. Again thank so much Rockky.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:35 AM

Booarisky, please let me know how you guys make out. We are still undecided on what part of York we want to settle..I am doing my research on schools right now. From the information that I have recieved on here has been very beneficial. The best school district in York I have found to be York Suburban school district and folling that is Dallastown school district. Their state scores are great...please send me a direct message so we can keep in touch...have a blessed day

Old 10-11-2007, 09:42 AM

87 posts, read 409,246 times
I live in York Township and kids attend Dallastown schools. I have been nothing but super pleased with the schools. I am from CA and we moved here for a job in MD- the commute was fairly easy as we are close to 83. The neighborhood we live in is older with nice big homes on big lots with nice big trees. We are in a mixed neighborhood- lots of older people who are downsizing so we have many homes on the market now. We are relatively close to downtown and while we do hear of shootings, stabbings etc it doesn't phase me. I am from southern california where that stuff happened with such frequency most of it didn't even make the news. To me it looks like as long as you don't get into drugs or gangs it is fine.

I think it is quite a long drive to Baltimore but we go there often to the inner harbor. I have many friends whose spouses work in Baltimore and they say the commute is long but traffic isn't too bad.

I have found that in general people here are not as open and friendly at first but once you get to know them they are very genuine. I am involved in a local playgroup club and that has helped me get to meet lots of moms in my area. From what I have talked to them about it seems that the racism is slowly dying out in our area as we get more people of color moving in and the younger generations are more open minded. I have heard many, many very racist remarks from older people (like 55+) here that have surprised me since I am from the part of the country that practically invented "PC" lol.

I will say that just from a general observation (not having any stats to back it up) my kids school is very white (maybe just compared to where I am from in CA) but I have never seen it to be a problem for anyone.

My gut feeling is that York is on the cusp of a good change. It seems that the revitalization in the downtown area is marching forward and looks to be helping (although that is a political debate I am not really familiar with). There are many people here who don't want York to change and they are bitter about all the people moving in etc. but I am sure that is common anywhere when growth happens

Old 10-15-2007, 06:09 PM

7 posts, read 37,813 times
Default Avoid Hanover, try other areas around york

Quote:
Originally Posted by genuinelymi View Post
I am considering moving to York, PA...I am originally from philadelphia but I live in south jersey. My fiance lives in baltimore, md and we are looking to purchase a home in York. Not that race matters to me much, I have always lived in a mixed community but we are African American and Absolutely clueless of the environment. I am not concerned about me and him but our children and the school district is very important to us. We are looking for a single family home and want to stay in the suburban areas of York. Any suggestions of what areas we should look into. Up and coming towns? All I need is a Walmart, Target, market.....lol...I am only 30 but no into the club scene, stay to myself, occasional shopping. Please let me know.

One more thing, the Job industry? My fiance is an addictions counselor getting his degree in social work and I am a cosmetologist and I currently am a sales rep for comcast.
What other surrounding towns should I be looking at as far as job hunting that is close to York?

I know its alot of questions but alot to consider as well if we do start looking.
I would appreciate anyones input...
Thanks
I have lived in the greater York PA area since 1967 except for 3 years.

Let me just say one thing to start. If you are afroamerican, AVOID Hanover. That is red neck country if there is such a place. I lived the first 22 years of my life about 18 miles north of Hanover. There was clan activity there as recently as 5 years ago.

There are many other places that are really nice. There are a few rednecks everywhere, but most of the area is good, accepts people for people. In 1967 I moved into a home about 3 miles from my current one, it was a 100% white neighborhood, but then in that time all neighborhoods were. Several years later the home next to me sold, a really nice couple bought it. Some people moved - we stayed. We still see them once in a while. They are afro, but that is not the point, they are good people. And this is the attitude that is widespread here.

If you plan to have wild parties, annoy your neighbors, you will not be accepted - but you don't sound like that. If you plan to move in, make the place a home for you, try to be a part of the community, you will be accepted by nearly everyone, you will probably find one or two who will not. We have several afro families in our area, when my wife was battling cancer they were one of three families in the neighborhood that really helped us.

If you need good access to I-83 avoid Hanover or Lancaster. Look at I-83, there is shrewsbury, Emigsville, and a bunch of others. I personally live in the Shiloh area, if you want to look where that is, use Rainbow Circle, York PA. It takes me less than 10 mins to hit 83 and I am 20 miles to the state line. I have 65 minutes to BWI which is did use a lot. There are shopping areas near all of the bedroom communities. Two of my kids live in the area nearer I-83, they have 3-5 minutes to it - if you want to see where that is try Stillmeadow Lane York PA - this is also another good area but the closer to I-83 the higher the price of real estate. I would expect $220K or more near it, about $210 near where I live.

Dover is also a good place but you have more time (maybe 15 mins).

The school ratings are bunk. The schools in the area are pretty much the same except the city schools and one or two really rural ones and they rurals are getting better. Unless I had kids ready to start school I woudl expect the disparity to be pretty much gone.

I know that one school that is high rated DISCOURAGES kids who they don;t think will do well from taking college boards - which raises their average score. West York (the district I am in) is good, so is Dover, Central, Dallastown, Redlion...) Suburban is snob...

BTW, watch Red Lion and Dallastown for I -83 access, CHECK THE ROUTE for any house. I would expect to have the same driving time or more than I do from either of these. Also, to get from there to York City is NASTY... It is route 74 for 6 or so miles, red lights, stop and go. I have taken 25 mins to get from the center of redlion to the corner of South Queen st and rathan road in York.

If you want to ask any particular questions, call me - I will call back and talk, I have Vonage and have free calling anywhere.

Ralph Brandt.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:46 PM

15 posts, read 57,080 times
Red face Maybe you could help

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandre View Post
I have lived in the greater York PA area since 1967 except for 3 years.

Let me just say one thing to start. If you are afroamerican, AVOID Hanover. That is red neck country if there is such a place. I lived the first 22 years of my life about 18 miles north of Hanover. There was clan activity there as recently as 5 years ago.

There are many other places that are really nice. There are a few rednecks everywhere, but most of the area is good, accepts people for people. In 1967 I moved into a home about 3 miles from my current one, it was a 100% white neighborhood, but then in that time all neighborhoods were. Several years later the home next to me sold, a really nice couple bought it. Some people moved - we stayed. We still see them once in a while. They are afro, but that is not the point, they are good people. And this is the attitude that is widespread here.

If you plan to have wild parties, annoy your neighbors, you will not be accepted - but you don't sound like that. If you plan to move in, make the place a home for you, try to be a part of the community, you will be accepted by nearly everyone, you will probably find one or two who will not. We have several afro families in our area, when my wife was battling cancer they were one of three families in the neighborhood that really helped us.

If you need good access to I-83 avoid Hanover or Lancaster. Look at I-83, there is shrewsbury, Emigsville, and a bunch of others. I personally live in the Shiloh area, if you want to look where that is, use Rainbow Circle, York PA. It takes me less than 10 mins to hit 83 and I am 20 miles to the state line. I have 65 minutes to BWI which is did use a lot. There are shopping areas near all of the bedroom communities. Two of my kids live in the area nearer I-83, they have 3-5 minutes to it - if you want to see where that is try Stillmeadow Lane York PA - this is also another good area but the closer to I-83 the higher the price of real estate. I would expect $220K or more near it, about $210 near where I live.

Dover is also a good place but you have more time (maybe 15 mins).

The school ratings are bunk. The schools in the area are pretty much the same except the city schools and one or two really rural ones and they rurals are getting better. Unless I had kids ready to start school I woudl expect the disparity to be pretty much gone.

I know that one school that is high rated DISCOURAGES kids who they don;t think will do well from taking college boards - which raises their average score. West York (the district I am in) is good, so is Dover, Central, Dallastown, Redlion...) Suburban is snob...

BTW, watch Red Lion and Dallastown for I -83 access, CHECK THE ROUTE for any house. I would expect to have the same driving time or more than I do from either of these. Also, to get from there to York City is NASTY... It is route 74 for 6 or so miles, red lights, stop and go. I have taken 25 mins to get from the center of redlion to the corner of South Queen st and rathan road in York.

If you want to ask any particular questions, call me - I will call back and talk, I have Vonage and have free calling anywhere.

Ralph Brandt.
I am african american in my late 20's, married with two boys 6 and 10. We are originally from Baltimore but because my husband is in the navy we have not lived there in almost 10 years and do not plan on living there again. I am interested in moving in a new development in the West York area. I am a registered nurse, my husband is looking to go to radiology school so I have a couple of questions. How are jobs for nurses there and are there any radiology schools nearby? Also, my boys are really into sports. Does the community have sports programs like little league for instance and where could I find info on what's available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania