Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 05:15 PM

4 posts, read 12,464 times

Advertisements

My commute would be from somewhere to a location very near downtown Hanover...so I am not concerned about a commute of 20-25 minutes...where would that place me ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 10:19 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genuinelymi View Post
I am considering moving to York, PA...I am originally from philadelphia but I live in south jersey. My fiance lives in baltimore, md and we are looking to purchase a home in York. Not that race matters to me much, I have always lived in a mixed community but we are African American and Absolutely clueless of the environment. I am not concerned about me and him but our children and the school district is very important to us. We are looking for a single family home and want to stay in the suburban areas of York. Any suggestions of what areas we should look into. Up and coming towns? All I need is a Walmart, Target, market.....lol...I am only 30 but no into the club scene, stay to myself, occasional shopping. Please let me know.

One more thing, the Job industry? My fiance is an addictions counselor getting his degree in social work and I am a cosmetologist and I currently am a sales rep for comcast.
What other surrounding towns should I be looking at as far as job hunting that is close to York?

I know its alot of questions but alot to consider as well if we do start looking.
I would appreciate anyones input...
Thanks
Please pardon my late reply, as I just joined this forum .

I lived in York from the late 80s to 2000. I recently returned to York after living in the DC area. I will say it has definitely changed for the better, but there is still a ways to go. However, it's a fast growing area, and with that growth, there will be some pains. I do feel in the end, though, York and the surrounding regions will be a dynamic place to live.

As mentioned by a couple of other posters, most African Americans and Hispanics live in and on the fringes of town. I am black and live near Red Lion and I have noticed that there are quite a few other minorites who reside in the "burbs" and around the county.

While York has had a very negative reputation for intolerance, it is not as bad as when I first came here. Things are improving, but any positive change takes a long time. I will say I am impressed with what I have witnessed in terms of much better race relations. I can tell you that you will not feel out of place here. It won't feel like Jersey, but you will not feel isolated, either. It may take some adjusting and getting used to, but I think you will like it here.

I can't comment on schools as we don't have children yet, but as far as employment goes, most of the better paying jobs are in Baltimore and Harrisburg with private industry, and state & local government.

As a minority, while there are those pockets of racism and hate, I feel I have been treated very well here and you still have a few ignorant folks. However, I treat people with respect and civility and 99% of the time I get the same in return.

As for shopping and retail, lots to choose from in the York area with a Borders and rumors has it A Barnes and Noble, several Wal-Marts, Targets and other big retailers. We even have a Macy's here! Park City Mall in Lancaster is nice and there are about 3 good malls in the Harrisburg area. King Of Prussia is not far away either. Towson Town center is about an hour away as well. I also do not patronize the club or bar scene. However, there are many other things to do in order to get out on the town.

I also beleive york is in a prime location as far as being in close proximity to DC, Baltimore, Philly and the shores. Personally, I feel to time to move here is now, because in a few more years, the base realignment will occur and I am sure many more people will be pouring in, thus drivng up the costs of housing. People used to laugh at me years back when I told them I lived in York, but now a lot of folks are beginnig to see that York County may not be a bad and inexpensive place to consider moving to afterall.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Last edited by Gil3; 03-17-2008 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: general

Old 02-02-2011, 06:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,904 times
i agree with talk2u.... there is definitley racisim where ever you go and I do have kids and and it sucks. I wish we could move back to MD where there really is diversity not just talk about it. Hanover is worse. Harrisburg is like baltimore though as far as diversity. york pa stay far away from it! no jobs no respect here. everyone here is just backwards and stuck in the 80'S!!!! DON"T MOVE HERE!!!

Old 03-14-2011, 02:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,628 times
My fiance and I are a soon to be married interacial couple: she African American Christian and me White Jew. York and Spring Grove, PA are good areas for our commute: Harrisburg for me and DC for her. The homes I saw and loved are on white collar blocks. People were very nice to us thus far and we saw no dissatisfied faces yet. The homes we are targeting range from $379K. We are both professionals without kids: she 48 and me 53. Is York and/or Shady Grove wrong for us? Your re[plies are appreciated. The zip codes are 17406 and 17362. Where is this York city area and/orSoutheast York I hear to stay away from?

Old 03-14-2011, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,628 times
My fiance and I are a soon to be married interacial couple: she African American Christian and me White Jew. Yorkand Spring Grove, PA are good areas for our commute: Harrisburg for me and DC for her. The homes I saw and loved are on white collar blocks. People were very nice to us thus far and we saw no dissatisfied faces yet. The homes we are targeting range from $379K. We are both professionals without kids: she 48 and me 53. Is York and/or Shady Grove wrong for us? Your re[plies are appreciated. The zip codes are 17406 and 17362. Where is this York city area and/orSoutheast York I hear to stay away from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania